1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zissou, Dec 19, 2012.

1. sjmin209

sjmin209 Well-Known Member

A general question: if you buy an item which was manufactured in the USA from a UK retailer and have it shipped to the USA, do you still pay duties?

2. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

No, but you have to make sure the sender notes that it's made in the USA on the customs form and hope that the mindless drone at the customs clearing agency notices.
    And you could still be on the hook for brokerage fees.

There's some customs form you can fill out to dispute incorrect charges.

3. icetink

icetink Member

Ordered Wolverine 1k's from Repertoire for $204+ shipping via USPS to Canada.
    They put $299 as declared value (I don't know why, and thus I'm quite upset).
    I had to pay $48.90.

4. jordache jeans

jordache jeans Well-Known Member

daad-dantone was about 10% duty for some boots

5. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

Anyone ever order from gravitypope?

They ship via Canada Post. Will I get hit by duties?

6. InHocSignio

InHocSignio Well-Known Member

Wondering about experiences with Colette (France) and Fott (Russia).

My personal experience is not having had any duties thus far ordering from Oi Poilloi (UK), Triads (UK), or Dot.mi (Italy).

7. rgweiser53

rgweiser53 Well-Known Member

Oki-Ni - Customs to USA? Anyone know? (apparently they ship DHL)

8. mojahanafiah

mojahanafiah Active Member

Oki ni dont mark down value..u'll be hit real bad

9. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

I've ordered a lot of things from a variety of international online retailers and countries and have never been hit by any customs.

However, I have something coming from Oki-ni tomorrow. I have a really bad feeling because it's the first time I've had DHL deliver something express...and the thing is about 3 bills...ugh...

I'll report back if I get a nasty bill

10. CityHunter

CityHunter Well-Known Member

Any word about ordering from Shop Number 4? They are located in Kuwait - never got sent anything from that part of the globe before. Experiences?

11. BigC222

BigC222 Well-Known Member

Just got a pair of N&F jeans from Hypebeast through FedEx. $10 shipping (Arrived in 2 days from HK to Canada) and no duties. Favourite store now.

12. sjmin209

So I ordered a WWM jacket (American made) from Oi Polloi. They shipped via DHL & didn't indicate that the jacket was American made, so I got hit with customs.

I contacted DHL & they first said that there was nothing they could do. I called back later & the person I spoke to told me that the only remedy was to have them file a report with customs, for which they would charge me $75. I asked this person and the manager I spoke to later if I could file the report myself. Each time, they told me that was impossible. When I pointed out that the erroneous customs charge was less than the $75 they planned to charge me, they said, once again, that that was the only option.

Of course they were lying. Customs provides a form that anyone can use to dispute a customs charge, and they don't charge a filing fee. When I got the form, I called DHL to get the information I needed to fill in (codes for the port of entry & a few other things), and they refused to give me the information.

In the meantime, Oi Polloi has been completely useless. I've emailed them several times, and they keep telling me they'll get back to me. It's been over a month now, & no progress.

1 person likes this.
  13. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

Well now I am nervous :(

14. sjmin209

Well, Oi Polloi did finally get back to me, only to tell me that they couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything on their end to help me. In other news, I just had a completely pain free experience with oki-ni.

15. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Well-Known Member

Has anyone received shipments through Colissimo? Did you get hit with customs?

Does anyone know what service they use for US deliveries?

16. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

Colissimo should just deliver in the US via USPS, and I haven't ever gotten hit by customs with them.

17. Notre

Notre Well-Known Member

Yep what severisth said. I have recieved 3 orders from Colissimo (thru USPS) and haven't been hit by customs.

18. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Well-Known Member

I've tried tracking the item sent thru Colissimo via usps and nothing shows, which is strange as other posted items from the EU usually are trackable on the usps site. I hope it shows up soon, it's been about 20 days now.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  19. Coopa

Coopa Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with http://www.countryattire.com/ ?

They ship to US via Royal Mail Airmail, or courier such as DPD, so i'm hoping the fees won't be ridiculous.

20. sholom

sholom Well-Known Member

Anybody have experience ordering form flannels fashion to the us?