1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zissou, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ambyance

ambyance Well-Known Member

i usually never had a problem with shipping services esp usps (only had one package go missing and had to eat the cost which wasn't too bad considering the number of packages ive sent throughout the years... too bad they were used CPs).

and i live in a safe neighborhood so hopefully usps just delivered to a wrong address so maybe theres hope?

2. curiouscharles

curiouscharles Well-Known Member

well, could have been stolen, could have been damaged, could have been lost.

if the value was marked down for you to avoid customs, chances are they won't give many fucks as they'll see reimbursing you as easier than going on a witch hunt for an ostensibly cheap parcel.

has little to do with your neighborhood, and most to do with whatever the source of the error was.

parcels don't get delivered to wrong addresses, the system doesn't work that way [wrong floor of an office building? maybe, wrong street / house / etc? nah].

was USPS able to tell you what address it was erroneously delivered to?

in my experience el-cheapo shipping options [ie - without signature required] don't offer that, which is another way the whole process is frustratingly mysterious when this happens.

3. ambyance

they actually did tell me where it was delivered to which was about 5 min walk from my house in the same community. i left a note there but didnt hear back from the house owner... and usps has yet to update me on the package and neither has the seller. so my only choice right now is to file a chargeback against the seller which is less than ideal but since they're not really cooperating, i can only do so much

-------------------

btw, update on the fedex customs/duties bill from buying from endclothing. basically they charged me duties for two items that were well under $800. end told me to talk to fedex since its not their problem so i did.

after a quick call with fedex, they told me its taken care of and the invoice is gone because things "slip by" sometimes.

4. curiouscharles

oh nutty!

was the street name the same, just different house number or something?

i just can't fathom how someone can look at an address on a box, and deliver it to a completely different one...

i'd just keep stalking the person it was delivered to, but i suppose it's hard to find the time with such things...

5. ambyance

different street, similar street name though.

what i cant fathom is if the person actually got my package on accident, why wouldnt they return it to me? i know where they live... do they just want the pair of jeans they probably wont fit? maybe they can resell but i believe in the decency of people so it makes me question the whole situation. usps's POS customer service doesnt help either

6. JayFS

JayFS Well-Known Member

Has anyone shipped to Germany lately?

Buyer wants to mark down an item from 600 -> 60 and I wouldn't do it if customs is a hassle over there.

7. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Well-Known Member

I've shipped once a package to Germany and it got lost. As long as I know, DHL delivers over there once packages arrived at border and their services are terrible.

8. curiouscharles

zero problems shipping to Germany.

any "purchase" has to be picked up from the local post office there i believe, or maybe it's a "duties" office of some sort.

if the parcel says $60.00, and doesn't have an invoice, they'll have to provide one.

really not your problem though, just make sure to ship with a signature required upon delivery and you can't possibly get screwed.

[ed: ship to Germany all the time, never any issues outside what i described above]

9. edubs01

edubs01 Well-Known Member

Thinking of picking up a pair of CP Chelsea boots from End. I'm in the states and the price is $400.
    What can I expect to pay in fees/duties?

10. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

None since they raised the duty free limit for shipments to $800 earlier this year.

11. kenucklehead

kenucklehead Active Member

Anyone have any experience ordering from the UK and shipping to the US? Just curious what kind of customs/duties to expect.

Item is a pair of boots around £600

12. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have to pay anything as long as it's under $800.

13. kenucklehead

Oh yeah? What do you mean "shouldn't"? Is this discretionary or is it the actual guideline? Personal experience? I've tried searching and there's so much info out there, it's hard to discern what is correct.

Much appreciated.

14. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

They changed the threshold from $200 to $800 a few months back, so of your order total is under $800 USD and you get charged duties then somebody made a mistake and you shouldn't have to pay.
    I can't be bothered to look it up but I'm sure you'll find all the info a page or 2 back.

15. kenucklehead

Thanks! That helps. What I was finding online was the reference to the $200 threshold which contradicts the original response so just knowing it was recently increased is useful. Much appreciated.

16. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

"Shouldn't" as in the shipper or customs agent/broker can fck things up. Personal experience having received a bill for $250 or so when actual rate should have called for about $50. That was a real PITA to deal with.
    But most of the time they get it right.

Current rules (updated earlier this year) say under $800 and you don't have to pay anything. There are exceptions of course like sunglasses which apparently are considered medical supplies so you have to pay a fairly hefty percentage on them.

I haven't had to pay anything on any international shipments this year. I've received 4 or 5.

17. curiouscharles

The day it was supposed to be signed by Trudeau, Belgium sorted out Wallonia's last few reservations about CETA, and it seems to be on track towards signing again:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/10/27/ceta-belgium_n_12670240.html

Come next season, Canadian stores could very well offer EU prices [not to mention duty free shopping between Canadians and the EU].

1 person likes this.
  18. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Active Member

^ This needs to happen NOW.

19. tempukk

tempukk Active Member

So they signed CETA, can anyone confirm instant effects when buying from canadian site? Or anyone know what kind of transition time going to be?

20. curiouscharles

yup, she's signed! :slayer::slayer::slayer:

now it goes to the EU parliament / council / whatever the fuck it's called for a proper vote, as well as the Canadian parliament to vote.

it's expected to pass those both with flying colours, and then it will be able to be provisionally applied nearly instantly, as the text of the deal hasn't changed in years so they should have it ready to distribute to all border agents / customs officers.

when it's applied provisionally, all the tariffs will be lifted, the only thing left to ratify will be the controversial ISDS, which could take years [and will likely just be dropped entirely].

so, if all goes well, it COULD be applied provisionally as early as January 2017, and with SS17 deliveries starting at the end of January / beginning of February [little later for small fries like myself], that could very well mean EU pricing at CA stores by SS17 season.

edit: in essence, if it's applied provisionally before SS17 orders are shipped out [even by just 24 hours] then CA stores won't be charged insane duties, and won't have to reflect those in their prices.

edit 2: unfortunately, there IS a chance still that it might not be applied until JUST afterwards, and we have to go another season before seeing the positive effects.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    2 people like this.