1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official 2012 College Football Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by MrG, Aug 27, 2012.

1. adsmith4

adsmith4 Well-Known Member

I was there and loving every minute of it haha. Wouldn't be as much fun without a few things like that. What excludes Nebraska and A&M from this behavior?

2. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

I've always heard Nebraska and Texas A&M fans to be somewhat classy to their opposing fans compared to a lot of other teams.

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I've been to a couple Nebraska games in Lincoln and I can vouch for their manners. It's much more of a family event in Nebraska for some reason.

1 person likes this.
  4. tullytra

tullytra Well-Known Member

The last sentence is true, yet counterintuitive. Bigger game, big rivalry shouldn't really equal more drunk (which I equate to rowdy for students) as you'd want to see and recall more of the game. I made this mistake with Boise-MSU this year and have watched the MSU abominations that have followed through more sober eyes.

I can vouch for the Nebraska people at least when they're visitors which is different. They were cordial around town the night before and at the game this past Saturday. One of them sneaked a red balloon into the stadium and released it after their first touchdown which was neat.

5. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

RIP Darrell Royal. I hope to God that Mack Brown has the offense line up in a wishbone on Saturday.

6. JustChris

JustChris Well-Known Member

Already said the first play from scrimmage will be.

Royal will be missed.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Texas A&M taking it to Alabama. :wow:

8. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

9. StephenHero

It seems somebody forgot to tell Alabama they're not Oklahoma in January.

10. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Aggy, you better not fuck this up.

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Hallelujah! The SEC stranglehold over the BCS Championship Game is finally over.

12. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

That would have been awesome to have had this happen in College Station but there's also something sweet to go into Hooterville and beat them on their own field.

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

HOLY CRAP - just woke up in Hong Kong to see the last 2 min. of that game.... WOW

Let's hope UGA earns the rematch and can find the same weaknesses in Saban's crew.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  14. StephenHero

Until an SEC team doesn't win the national title I think a one loss team from there should still be penciled in to play. It won't happen that way, but I'd still take the SEC's best over an undefeated Oregon, Notre Dame, or K State.

15. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

No, yes, probably.

16. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    You could hear the U-G-A chant after Georgia went up 28-0, and the calling the Dawgs cheer on the following kickoff, through the TV during a game at Auburn. That's fantastic.

I think Alabama losing is huge for Georgia mentally. Alabama just became beatable.

Agreed.

17. StephenHero

Defense always has the advantage in college football because of the long time frame between regular season and bowls. Giving Nick Saban six weeks to study Oregon's offense is a helluva lot more advantageous than Chip Kelly being given six weeks to study Alabama's defense. Until Oregon holds the best teams they face under 40, I suspect they can't give up their advantage and still beat an SEC champion consistently, who will almost always be tougher, more athletic, and played a far tougher schedule to get ready.

18. NameBack

NameBack Well-Known Member

I think UO's defense has been pretty strong throughout the season -- you have to remember that against USC (and today against Cal) they had a lot of injuries in their starting line; hell, today their entire starting defensive line was out. I am a bit worried about Avery Patterson's injury from today's game, but by bowl time a lot of their best defensive players will be back on the field. I mean, it certainly shows that the bench is not really that deep for Oregon, but they do have some good talent and I think by the time the Pac-12 championship comes around, and more of their injured players are back in, we'll get a better sense of how good the defense really is.

Also, while I think it is possible to really blunt Oregon's running game, Mariota is fantastic, very much underrated, and getting better all the time. He has the second highest completion percentage in the league (71%, and closer to 80% over the last four games) -- higher than Klein, Manziel, Barkley, McCarron, etc. He's got more than 8 yards per attempt, he averages more than 6 yards per attempt when rushing. He actually ranks first in the nation in overall QB rating. Oregon has a cornucopia of offensive weapons, and I think people underestimate how difficult it is to guard against all of them in one game.

19. NameBack

NameBack Well-Known Member

I sort of want ND and KState to lose out just so that Oregon can crush an SEC one-loss team and prove that the Pac-12 has the best program in the country.

20. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

I saw Oregon play in person last night, Mariota is the best of the CK QB's by a far. He's got a funky looking delivery, but his passes were all right on the money. If Kstate or ND play them for the championship, it will be probably be a blowout.