• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

official 2010 world cup thread

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Well since I don't have the power to change the rules, I can only complain. Yes, a handball on the line should be goal awarded, not PK, because the probability of that ball getting in the net is 100% before contact with the hand. The PK is less than 100%, as we can attest.

Cannot be enforced, and will never be. How do you determine "will be 100% in the net" when they can't even determine a goal sometimes?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's left a sour taste..

Ghana should have scored the penality.

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
I feel really bad for Ghana, i wanted to see them go through. The crucial ones are always missed when you go high
frown.gif

Wasnt cheating by Suarez, its exactly like fouling in bball when you know the guy has an easy layup and youre leading or tied. You take the foul and the chance hell miss one. Do it any other time in the game and the red card hurts plenty. Final minute, had to do it.

The way some of the Ghana players took the penalties was pretty stupid though

This +1

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Cannot be enforced, and will never be. How do you determine "will be 100% in the net" when they can't even determine a goal sometimes?

I hope you're not serious. Handball when ball is going in is not enforcable ? I don't know whether to
lol8[1].gif
or
facepalm.gif
Hard to imagine an easier foul to call.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
It is cheating in that he broke the rules. Agreed. But he was caught and the penalties were applied (sent off, opponents get a PK). The PK was missed. There is such a thing as strategically breaking a rule and taking the penalty, just as their is efficient breach of contract.

b

Along with those applied penalties should come disgrace and damage to reputation. Not praise. **** Suarez, if you intentionally break fundamental rules to win, you are cheating.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
Wasnt cheating by Suarez, its exactly like fouling in bball when you know the guy has an easy layup and youre leading or tied. You take the foul and the chance hell miss one. Do it any other time in the game and the red card hurts plenty. Final minute, had to do it.
What kind of logic is that? Of course it's cheating.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I hope you're not serious. Handball when ball is going in is not enforcable ? I don't know whether to
lol8[1].gif
or
facepalm.gif
Hard to imagine an easier foul to call.

Did you start following soccer last week or something?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
someone said there's a 84% conversion rate on PK's in the World Cup (not sure if that was all WC's or just this one).

Suarez's handball was instinctive - keep the ball out of the goal at all costs. but even if he had time to think about it i'm sure he would have done the same thing. anyone would take a 16% chance of a missed/saved PK (or even a 1% chance) over a 0% chance of winning if the header went in with no time left

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Did you start following soccer last week or something?

Around 1978. You?

B Hamilton

Reaction score
All illegal plays have penalties. The penatly was given and GHA didn't capitalize. What else is there to say?

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
What kind of logic is that? Of course it's cheating.

Is committing a foul cheating?

A player is going for goal and a defender tackles him and commits a foul. PLayer was likely to score there too.

Or lets say a player dribbles past the keeper, keeper fouls him. The player was going to be all alone facing the goal otherwise, and is pretty close to 99.9999% scoring there.

There are things you can do that have consequences in the rules, you chose whether to do them or not.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
You're an awfully slow learner.
You have anything interesting to say or just total horseshit like this?
smile.gif

XeF4

Reaction score
This is undoubtably another major black mark on the sport of soccer.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the accurate comparison to basketball is goaltending, where the points ARE awarded, instead of a foul. The analog would be giving the goal to the shooter in soccer.

That said, that is NOT the rule, and he played it legally, and he did the absolute right thing, and he would be crucified for not doing it if he had an obvious chance to.

Should they reconsider the rule? Maybe. I personally would leave it as is, because I think giving an automatic goal is too much power to give a ref, but I can totally understand the other side as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads