1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Office essentials

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I'm not talking staplers, tape or paper here...but rather stuff that helps "brighten up" your cube/office/whatever. There must be some basic stuff that will look sick on and around my desk.

Naturally, one of the first things I put up will be a pimp photo of Teddy Roosevelt. What else should I get though? What do you have?

2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

Contemporary art. Nothing says "I'm loaded, sophisticated, better than you, and just plain intimidating" like some legit contemporary art.

3. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

Make it heart breaking to fire you.

[​IMG]

4. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

i usually have an aphorism under a photo of a cute animal. it pairs nicely with my [​IMG] demeanor

5. Don Carlos

Have a samurai sword on a stand in the back of your office. This will signify to Japanese businessmen that you are to be respected as an equal. Also, if following this advice, it helps to be a character in an early 1990s action thriller.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

What are you, a woman? Why do you need to "brighten up" your desk? Nobody is going to care. I never understood people that try and personalize their cubicles; you're there to work. If you had an actual office, it would be a bit different. Oh and how does any of this qualify under the heading of "office essentials?" [​IMG]

7. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Well-Known Member

I find the craziest most random images I can and slap em up on the wall over my computer in a completely random way (think teenage girl bedroom steez). I've got about 3 layers of shit piled up so far and I'm slowly spreading out towards my co-workers wallspace. The piece de resistance is a picture of Rick Owens that I tore out from a magazine and put and tuft of grey mongolian fur on it too look like he's wearing a wig. I also have a great picture of 2 ripped dudes in short shorts holding a shark in their arms at the beach.

It simply tells anyone that sees it that I really DGAF.

8. phreak

phreak Well-Known Member

Do you have a desk that gets sunlight?

9. countcount

countcount Well-Known Member

a shoehorn (from the $1 store)

10. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

11. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

the only 'personal' items i have are a picture of me and my fiance and a nice crystal pen holder. other than that, nada.

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Make it heart breaking to fire you.

He's working in government. Ain't nobody going to fire him for shit.

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

A periodic table of elements.

14. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

a shoehorn (from the $1 store)
    This is actually a really good idea. I would also recommend keeping a pair of dress shoes in your desk. That way you can wear your beaters in to the office and then switch into proper shoes.

15. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

A Spanish to English dictionary, tequila, and a morning after pill. You know, for the maid. If you're picky, a razor too.

16. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

I have a framed plot plan of my garage, patent award plaques, and some framed poetry done by a calligrapher.
    What are you, a woman? Why do you need to "brighten up" your desk? Nobody is going to care. I never understood people that try and personalize their cubicles; you're there to work. If you had an actual office, it would be a bit different. Oh and how does any of this qualify under the heading of "office essentials?" [​IMG]
    ^ Geek To non-geeks, GQ, a little personality or humanity might be considered essential, by the way.
    A periodic table of elements.
    Have one of those. Actually use it -- other day I totally forgot that tin was Sn. ~ H

17. longskate88

longskate88 Well-Known Member

Here here, I'm interning at a CPA firm and it's nice to have some personal things on your desk. I like having my Filson 256 with some chapstick, nail clippers, etc.

I also have a nice pic of Pebble Beach as my computer background. If it turns into a job I'll probably bring in a small plant, and that'll be it.

18. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Have you set up a hotline to the Kremlin on your desk? [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Don Carlos

Nothing is more pathetic and plebeian than an overly decorated cubicle. Fat Midwestern Secretary's Desk is not the aesthetic you're aiming for, presumably. Wait till you get a legitimate office before decorating in earnest. And even then, be a minimalist. Some fine art, and maybe one or two small items that say "By the power of motherfucking Greyskull, I have the power."

20. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Here here, I'm interning at a CPA firm and it's nice to have some personal things on your desk. I like having my Filson 256 with some chapstick, nail clippers, etc.

I also have a nice pic of Pebble Beach as my computer background. If it turns into a job I'll probably bring in a small plant, and that'll be it.

dude... clip your damned nails at home. i mean wtf?