1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Sep 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Don't think of acquiring black oxfords as a task you must accomplish. Think of it as an opportunity to go shoe shopping.

1 person likes this.
  2. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

gr, yes there do seem to be slight differences around the welt area between the Sander's and the Tricker's.My Tricker's look as though they have a much wider welt. I'm not sure many people would notice, though and I would love a pair of Sander's. Mrs Munky has put a veto on further shoe-driven purchases. [​IMG] ...At least for the moment.

LondonHedonist, London is a dangerous shoe place, a very dangerous place. A revised schedule: stay away from - and further visits to - the Jermyn Street area.

Just to lower the tone...I bought a pair of Clark's boat shoes, this afternoon. Make what you will, of that.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I actually have a pair of Clarks boat shoes that I quite adore, Mr. Munky, and they've been with me at least four good years now. Clarks may not be Jermyn Street material, but they're a decent enough shoe in my opinion. Well... a few of the models are...

4. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Mr Hedonist. I can now have a night without Valium. They are certainly comfortable and I am now looking all over the net for Waxy Leather cleaners. Well, we all have to have a hobby...Summer might occur, here in the UK and these boat shoes seem like the Dog's Bollocks. As we say, on this side of the pond.

5. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Mistake! I just looked in to see that my Tricker's were suitably bedded down. I realised that my boat shoes were from Marks and Spencers. They are made in Portugal and so are lots of other brands - including some Loake's. So let's not get to sniffy here. A boat shoe is a boat shoe is a boat shoe.

6. BostonHedonist

At any rate.. For waxy leather, I've had great results with saddle soap. Work up a lather with a bit of water and a clean rag and soap up the shoe. Then wipe it off and brush with a designated wax brush.

7. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Thanks, NearlyUkHedonist,
    Thanks for that. I was wondering what I could do to clean them.

8. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Two quick questions about boat shoes and then back to Trickers!

a) do you put shoe trees in boat shoes?
    b) am I right to think that you can never wear socks with them? But could you use 'trainer socks' - the ones that you try to hide under the tops of shoes? Let us be clear: I am not thinking of shorts, mid calf, white socks and so on.

9. BostonHedonist

Some will say you should put trees in any shoe. With the boat shoes I tend not to. They do require some maintenance due to the salt water they tend to come in contact with. But i tend not to think of them as shoes that require shapeliness be maintained.

Socks? Never.

10. gr789

gr789 Well-Known Member

Agree with BostonHedonist. No shoe trees, no socks. Well, maybe an occasional colorful argyle at a vacation resort dinner.

11. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Thanks,guys. Not even those cropped socks that people wear in trainers? I have funny feet (most people laugh at them) and I probably need something between foot and shoe.

I have noticed, on occasions, that there is a summer uniform for elderly US men. It is made up of a very bright and noisy shirt, long, plaid shorts, white sox pulled up over the calf and the whole outfit being rounded off with a pair of Nike Airmax'. In Europe such men stand out because of their elegance. Apologies if these clothes are staples, for you.

12. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

well, boat shoes are only a marginal step up from sneakers. I personally don't understand what weather would be too hot & humid for loafers but appropriate for nautical-themed chromexcel shoes (unless you're actually on a boat :)
    but to each his own I guess [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  13. BostonHedonist

Boat shoes are designed for slippery smooth surfaces in wet environments. A true boat shoe's laces tie in all the way around the lower ankle, ensuring that they won't come off when deluged. The bottoms will alternate between traditional traction and micro-slits that work well on the deck of a boat. Here in Boston, and most of New England, they're a staple as a great many of the elites tend to be either nautically-oriented or at least wish to give that appearance. As with many elements of style, there's a bit of a trickle-down effect here.

If you're hanging around the marina in a polo shirt, shorts and nice, polished loafers, somethings not quite right.

14. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Well, I wore my new boat shoes, today. It isn't really Mystic Seaport, around here, but we do what we can. I bought a pack of sub-trainer, hidden socks, which I plan to wear with the BS, in the summer. They will go well with a Southern Spanish vibe, when we are in Mallorca. . I also bought some Saphir Greasy Leather cream, but I have found no instructions at all for its use. That includes various internet searches. In the end, I put a thin coat on the shoes and left it at that. So far, they are holding up well. Not quite my Trickers, but I won't complain.

15. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

Will keep that in mind next time I am hanging out around a marina! : )

16. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

It's more an East Coast thing. My Dad was a haberdasher and owned his own shop when I was growing up in the 80's, and I was always forced to wear boat shoes or loafers, which I grew to hate, so still in rebellion, I now own neither!

17. iPetronius

iPetronius Member

No boat shoes or loafers? That's heretical! [​IMG]

18. BumsFan

BumsFan Member

Casual Friday...love these boots.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 people like this.
  19. iPetronius

iPetronius Member

Nice!