1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Sep 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. dranguschu

dranguschu Active Member

Hi

I want to ask where I can find a pair of double monk shoe
    And that is the color of cream or wax for saphir best-matched to the colour of acorn of tricker's

Thanks a lot

2. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

I use Saphir light brown cream (and renovateur) on my acorn stows....Cheaney makes a nice double monk, fyi...

Cheers

3. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I don't think Tricker's does a double monk other than as a made to order.
    You should check Alfred Sargent Ramsey, Crockett & Jones Lowndes or Carmina.
    If you're willing to spend more, Edward Green Westminster is my favorite.

Check out this http://dieworkwear.com/tagged/double-monks-series

4. Giannis

Giannis Well-Known Member

I m thinking about Trickers Malton boots.. I usually wear uk 9,5 to 10. ( I have an Ermenegildo zegna at size 11 though)..

The trickres are G fitting.. Do you think I should order a 9 instead of 9,5?

Do you know how commando sole compares to leather in terms of comfort? is commando harder?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  5. rainbowgrease

rainbowgrease Well-Known Member

I heard one should size down a whole size.
    If I may recommend you contact Richard over at Shoehealer for best advice,
    or Tricker's themselves.

6. Tricker's Expert!!

Tricker's Expert!! Active Member

Hi Giannis, if I may offer you some information ?
    The Malton is built on the 4497s Last, which most wearers find more or less true to average size. This model with Double Leather Sole is available in either Regular Width Fitting 5, or Wide 'Fitting 6'.
    The Malton/1 has a Commando Sole, and is only made for stock in Wide Fitting 6.
    Size.?
    4497s in regular fitting 5, is more or less true to average size. 4497s in Fitting 6,. is generous by Half a Size, when compared with a more regular fitting shoe.
    This information is based on 'averages', and working with many customers in store and overseas.
    US or UK Size?
    Tricker's would consider just Half a Size difference between UK and US Sizes, so a regular fitting US 9, would equate to a UK 8 1/2.
    Considering this information, the Malton Fitting 6, you might consider dropping a whole size from US to UK.
    Hope this helps, and feel free to ask if I can offer more information.
    Richard.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. Tricker's Expert!!

Tricker's Expert!! Active Member

One more thing Giannis if I may.
    I personally find Commando Soles much more comfortable than Double Leather, but each to their own.
    For consideration, it is possible to change the Soles for any other type as and when.
    Best regards,
    Richard.

8. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Burgundy cordovan PTBs from Superdenim.
    Wife was looking at them and said "that's some nice leather on these".
    I said "That's not just leather, it's subcutaneous horse ass!".
    She paused and then said "that's some nice subcutaneous horse ass on those".
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Look great! I am really liking Trickers cordovan. Very different look and feel than Horween

10. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

Hi Ryden and Zippy. So, with Zippyh's help, I've pulled the trigger on my first pair of Trickers. Went with LSH's black stow boot with natural welt. Can't wait!

I'm writing to get some feedback. What do you guys think about a wingtip boot in green aniline calf? How does that material feel as compared with, say, an Alden calf or chromexcel?

Also, how does the Trickers cordovan compare or contrast with Horween shell?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

11. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Hi doc,

I've got a pair of Bourtons in green calf. They use a good quality leather.
    Are you thinking of the boots from Graham Fowler?

Tricker's also use cavalier. It's a subtype of chromexcel.
    http://horween.com/leathers/cavalier-chromexcel/

I've got three pairs of cordovan Tricker's now. A pair of orange Alan boots, teak PTBs, and the burgundy PTBs.
    The material used on the orange ones is kind of thin. The teak and burgundy cordovan is thicker and more comparable to Horween.

12. Giannis

Giannis Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your responses. The Trickers guide after providing my circumference of my feet suggested that I should stay with double leather soles because the commando ( 6 in width) should be a bit too roomy for me.

Maybe I should consider waiting till the summer, that I may visit their store and try everything on my feet.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  13. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

Hi zippyh,

Look what you've started. Now I've got the LSH Stow boots on the way, arriving Friday. Yes, Grahame Fowler galoshes may be the next trigger pull. Re those boots: do you like longwing boots? I seem to remember reading the early pages of this thread and noticing that you had gotten something like a color 8-ish longwing boot. I thought at the time it was a nice looking boot.

In a second question about the quest for a green boot: Can one get cavalier leather in green? I'd like to find a green wingtip boot comparable to my blue cxl Greenwich boot by Alden from Leffot.

And lastly, do you wear your green bourtons much? If so, with what typically?

Please don't get me going on Tricker's shell. I was just thinking a teak wingtip boot would be a nice substitute for Alden ravello, especially after seeing Alden ravello wingtip boots on the Alden thread today...

These winter snow days are dangerous for my wallet. I should be working so I don't have to lust after all these great boots!

Hope you're warm and dry out in the Pacific NW...

14. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I don't actually wear the green Bourtons that much but it's really more due to a sizing error on my part. They're a bit too big.
    I've got three pairs of Tricker's longwing boots (black scotch grain, golden tan, burgundy) so it's safe to assume I like that style. I don't know about green cavalier. You should probably send Richard the Shoe Healer an email.

I'm currently waiting for a group MTO of a teak cordovan Allan boot. Apparently Tricker's rejected the latest supply due to quality issues.
    The teak is a good substitute for ravello.

15. rydenfan

I cannot wait to get these. I was bummed to learn of the delay but would prefer Trickers reject the leather rather than me getting the boots and being displeased.

16. esqblackbook

esqblackbook Active Member

Does anybody know if Tricker's has changed their cordovan supplier?

I had a pair of cordovan stows and the cordovan was so thin that I vowed never to purchase another pair until I knew that Horween was supplying. If Horween does Crockett, why cant they do Tricker's? I sit that Tricker's are getting better pricing on an inferior product or is it due to the scarcity of Horween;s shells. Did Tricker's ever use Horween. With Alden's quality control, Carmina's "a little too euro" design and Viberg's inability to handle cordovan; it would seem that the perfect way to display these beautiful Horween shells would be with Tricker's Crockett's Horween offerings are nice, but they too seem to be limited to loafers and oxfords.

I love Tricker's designs and their cordovan offerings are beautiful. The problem, In my opinion mind you, is that when these beautifully toned "cordovan" boots arrive; it's a matter of look but you better not touch.

Thoughts? I'm sure many disagree and would like to hear from both sides.

17. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Tricker's uses Comipel, but will use Horween if you provide the shells

18. rainbowgrease

rainbowgrease Well-Known Member

19. rydenfan

I have no complaints with Trickers shell. In fact I like it very much

20. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

???
    C&J whiskey shell Harlechs. Also consider Ralph Lauren Lindrick, Gianni, Gifford, and McCallum. All made by C&J.
    [​IMG]

I've got no complaints with the Comipel that Tricker's uses.