1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Sep 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wombus

wombus Well-Known Member

I would also be interested in this, depending on colour.

2. seer

seer Well-Known Member

I had a pair of C&J Chukkas with the Dainite soles - I used them in all manner of weather here in New England, including snow and ice - they worked fine.

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

Good to hear. I'm curious to hear about how they hold up. I'm looking for a good winter snow boot (walking around the city, not for sports), and your makeup looks great.

I have several shoes and boots with Dainite. I agree with those who say they are not good in hard snow and ice. I also don't love the way they feel on dry pavement, as they seem a little hard. But they have a less rough profile than commando soles, so look less rustic.

4. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    Some medallion-less Eatons just showed up on Tricker's ebay shop.
    [​IMG]

5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Question about the 2161 Last and about Tricker's Suede Chukkas, any model

Ok, I'm still fretting about shoes I picked up at STP, Guildford Chukka's. I've decided I could live with a scuff on the toe that the shoes came with, but now the issue is fit.

Any of your experiences would be great:

I'm normally a 8.5-9D US, though for narrower shoes, I go for an E. Tricker's suggests that you size 0.5 down from US to UK, which given discussion on this and other threads, people think is nuts (i.e. go with the usual full size down to convert US to UK).

So, these Guildford's are UK9. A reviewer on the STP site suggested that as a 8.5-9 US, they bought a 9.5 UK and had it fit! I opted for the UK9. They are about a foot long, which is close or the same as many of my US9s.

Here's how they fit: There is probably about an inch extra room in the toe, but my understanding is that this isn't the crucial measure. More crucial is that the widest part of your foot is at the widest part of the shoe, or so I've been told, and that makes more sense. On this, I think the shoes actually fit. They are slightly snug at that point.

I have also read mashing one's feet forward as far as they go to see available space at the heel, and when I do so, I can just about put my index finger in the space, so maybe 1/3 inch. There's room forward but not crazy.

When worn: they aren't snug, except at the widest part of the shoe. They feel perhaps slightly loose. As I said, a little space in toe area, and a little bit of lift in the heel when I walk, but not more than in my normal shoes.

So, they seem to fit, though slightly on the loose side. I'm almost ready to keep them. If they were an 8.5, I'd almost certainly go for it. Such lovely shoes, and was able to get them at a good discount.

Question:

1. People with 2161 last, your thoughts on its fit? On your current shoes, is your fit similar to my description?
    2. People with suede shoes, thoughts on how much they've expanded. I guess the main issue is at the widest point, where I think the fit is just right, very slightly snug.
    3. Anyone with the Guildford and comments on how they've worn?

Thanks all.

6. FOXY

FOXY Member

Xmas this year, Austerity Stow and MTO's for my wife - from Richard/Shoehealer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Austerity Stow's in the snow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Latest addition...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  7. seer

seer Well-Known Member

Nice! The austerity Stows are really growing on me!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  8. boomtime

boomtime Well-Known Member

Hey guys just thought I'd pop in and give yall a heads up I'm trying to do a MTO run similar to the LS for denim build[​IMG]

we have decent interest in the MTO order thread so far, but looking for a couple more people to jump on board...Just PM me if your interested and I can pass the info along.

9. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Maiden voyage today, maybe I should have kept the dirty buck pair instead, certainly cannot justify keeping both pairs...

10. Joona

Joona Well-Known Member

Not that great pics, but I thought I'd post these anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a bonus pic to demonstrate a bit how the toe shape compares to Tricker's 81 last (they are a SH group MTO longwings if someone is intrested). Longwings are size UK 7 and Monkey's are UK 7.5, yet they are shorter than the longwings.

[​IMG]

They are 9-eyelet monkey boots that was sent directly to Shoe Healer where they resoled them with Ridgeway. As always with Richard / Shoe Healer everything went very smoothly. The quality of the resoling is top notch and I really like how the sole edges turned out (I wasn't sure if I made the right call when I asked for light stain instead of dark). Been searching for these exact monkey's for quite some time and was really excited to finally got a pair. Unfortunately they are surprisingly tight and short at the toe cap.. I don't know if it has something to do with that they are most likely originally made to Japanese market. Will have to take them to a local gobbler to check if they can be stretched enough for me. If someone is interested getting a pair, I'd suggest that you'd just turn to Richard and try to ensure that they really are made in the size that fits you. Richard told that they've already made some 9-eyelet monkey boots for their customers so that should be possible through Shoe Healer.

Colors are not accurate in those pics, at least not in my monitor..

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I like how the edge turned out with those Monkey boots.
    Do you know what last the Monkeys are on?

12. kmdsimpson

Some really nice additions to Retrickers ebay shop today:

Burgundy short Stow:
    [​IMG]

Orange cordovan tassel loafer:
    [​IMG]

Logger boots in blue suede and blue Cavalier:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

None my size, of course...

13. shoelad

shoelad Member

I loved the short stows in burgandy, i would be well up for a group mto, in something like that!

14. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Stubby Stows from the Bureau a while ago.

15. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Well-Known Member

The red ones are simply astonishing...

16. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

Any idea what is this Gorse calf that is only available from Trickers and whether I am better off with pebble grain cowhide? Need a hard wearing upper country boots.

17. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

It's a waxy, water-resistant calf leather that's traditionally been used by English bootmakers for country footwear although the only other maker I know of who offers it at the moment is Alfred Sargent, on their Dumfries boot and Appleby brogues.Crockett & Jones and Edward Green have versions of it available for MTOs. It has a very 'matte' feel to it, compared to regular calf.

'C-shade' is Tricker's signature gorse colour, and they've been using it for years.

I've heard zug grain described as embossed gorse leather, too.

If you're after something hard-wearing then a Malton or Wetherby would fit the bill nicely. I'd take gorse or zug over pebble grain for outside use, although the latter might look a little more 'interesting'.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  18. seer

seer Well-Known Member

I'm about to order the Tricker's Grasmere (zug grain). These will be my woods/country/winter boots going forward. From everything I read these can take a beating!

Following from that, does anyone here own the Grasmere? How do you like them? I hear they are a little harder to break in. How do you like the way they aged? Any feedback would be nice! Thanks, Jim

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  19. kmdsimpson

I'm shopping for a winter boot, and was just about to email Richard for some recommendations based on what I need. Let us know what you think when you get them!