1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Coopa

Coopa Well-Known Member

I'm normally a medium (40R sportcoat) so i bought the mountain parka in large. Shoulders/chest were ok, but it was huge in the waist. Tightening the drawstring made it look too bunched up. Someone earlier in this thread reported a similar problem and send his jacket to barbour for alterations. I returned mine (i did love the look of the jacket though). Wish i could have tried on a medium, although i suspect it would have been too constricting in the shoulders.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Imyouricecreamman

Imyouricecreamman Well-Known Member

Thanks Blaugrana for the extensive info! I concur regarding the Scott jacket, it feels like it's going to take some time before I feel like I'm wearing the jacket not the other way around :)

Anybody tried the Greenham jacket? I'm thinking of this for spring.

[​IMG]

3. imys

imys Well-Known Member

That's a NICE jacket! Good call for the Spring. I really like the detailing of the collar and side pockets - i can't tell from the pic, but is it leather? Can you comment on the fit when tried, and price, and where it can be found?
    Cheers

4. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Ordered two of the Barbour x Jack Spade bags today. Grabbed the Duffle and Tote/Coal bag:

http://www.barneys.com/Barbour-Jack...05021133800,default,pd.html?q=barbour&index=1

http://www.barneys.com/Barbour-Jack...05021133534,default,pd.html?q=barbour&index=5

Both bags look nice, but I'm really excited about the Coal/Tote bag. I have a Jack Spade already and it's got very similar details. Nice bag too. I like how the Barbour version zips shut. I also like the leather handles. Just noticed it even has leather trim on the inside as well. Only thing I don't like is the collaborative label on the outside. Considering taking it off. Wouldn't mind a Barbour label to replace it. Anyway, if anyone has been looking at one, Jack Spade has the duffle on their site. It's on sale and use code MINUS25 for another 25% off the sale price. Free shipping too. I had to call a store for the Coal Bag, but the promo was the same in the store. Guy I spoke with was really nice. Told me the coats are more fitted than traditional Barbours. They transferred their stock out, so I don't know if they went to NY or the website or what.
    Yeah, the Scott is definitely the biggest Tokihito I've tried yet. I just wish it had pockets you put your hands in from the side because that would help a bit.

Had to look that Greenham up. It's a McQueen. Looks tough to find. I actually like some of the McQueen stuff and that Greenham looks nice.

I'm a 42R and I ordered the Large. So far, other than the Wool Fishing, Larges have been OK. Wouldn't mind a slightly bigger arm opening at the shoulder, but I'm fine with the rest even though they are a bit roomy at the waist. Militarys cinch up nicely though.

+3. I could see a navy pinstripe wool Tokihito Sporting Quilt for a SS season. I'd have to see the finished article to say I'd like it or not, but that's the only Barbour outerwear piece I could see in a navy pinstripe.

5. Coopa

Coopa Well-Known Member

Have you had the chance to try on the sports jacket? I've got it on preorder in a size L and i'm hoping it's not boxy in the waist like the mountain parka.

6. BLAUGRANA

Was able to find this green Sporting Quilt last night. Man, like finding a needle in a haystack.

On a somewhat related note, Tokihito apparently designed that other blazer/jacket to go with the Mountain parka:

Nope. I was going to preorder a Large as well, but waited too long. I have a contact at a shop that had a preorder at a good price so I'll see what he says. I'm just thinking the Large will be too small pit-to-pit.

7. Imyouricecreamman

I'll see if I can some pictures up of the jacket. So far I've only been wearing it in weather where I've been needing gloves so I haven't used the pockets much, but I think they will be far enough down to accomodate.

I have a lead for the Greenham and I think it would be great as a spring piece. Like a minimalist International if you will :)

-V

8. essex123

essex123 New Member

Hi

New on here, I have a Barbour Cowan Commando, Had it for about 5 years.

But this is the coolest Barbour I have ever seen, a real piece of military kit.

[​IMG]

It is a Durham, that was customised and saw action in the Falklands campaign. A lot cooler then the faux designer stuff. I have purchased a Durham off ebay for £40, I've rewaxed it and will send back to the factory to have the arms lengthened. Best thing about barbours, the more worn the cooler they get.

9. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the Greenham isn't an old jacket? I can't find much info about it and no one seems to stock it. There is a store here that had it in 2011...

10. Imyouricecreamman

It might be, but I talked to my supplier and she said she gets it in on a regular basis. Also thinking about the Marlow for spring. We'll see :)

-V

11. hoit1981

Strange that it isn't even listed on either the Barbour US or UK website. I would be interested if your supplier can indeed get it as I kind of fancy it for myself too :)

12. Imyouricecreamman

The Beacon and Steve McQueen collection seem to change a lot from year to year. Let me know what size you are and I can PM you if one becomes available.

-V

13. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

Old pics but I thought I might post them here.
    The Pegasus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  14. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

I assume that jacket inspired the TOKITO Military Jacket ...looks VERY similar

15. BLAUGRANA

Exactly what I was thinking. Very similar look down to the colors even. Love the military and that original pictured is great. Love the history there.

Nice coat. I think I'll go for a belted version at some point. Maybe an International, but I don't love the label on that one. Pegasus looks nice.

Well the problem is there just aren't pockets you can easiy slide your hands into. Have to say I went to the tailor today, who will be shortening the sleeve 1/4 an inch soon, and tried it on again. I was worried about it being too boxy, but I didn't think it was after trying it on. Glad as I'll be keeping it now.

Yeah, I like that Greenham.

16. BLAUGRANA

BTW, does anyone have the Sporting Jacket/Bond Coat? If so, how does it fit from the pit down?

17. hoit1981

I have it in XL. Normally wear L. It fits nicely - I don't notice any "boxiness" at all.

18. BLAUGRANA

What is your chest measurement?

19. hoit1981

Approximately 43". Not too broad shouldered. Waist 36".

20. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

I was just in the Georgetown Barbour store and tried on a Beaufort in "rustic." What do you guys think of rustic vs. the classic olive?