1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Obenauf's LP: It works

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by videocrew, Aug 10, 2009.

1. confab

confab Well-Known Member

I posted some Obenauf's before & after pics on the Katahdin boots thread: link.

2. Vaitek

Vaitek Well-Known Member

I got a pair of Red Wing Beckmans in chestnut recently and was wondering how to keep them looking nice. I like the factory color and would hate to have obenaufs darken the leather, I plan on wearing them through the rest of winter especially as we continuously get snow. Which product should I get?

I treated mine twice as suggested and it darkened slightly, but very little.

[​IMG]

3. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Those chestnut Beckman's are the only RW's I'd ever consider buying. They need a stacked leather heel, though.

Obenauf's LP is great stuff. The western shop on the other end of my block sells it.

4. splattered

splattered Well-Known Member

Those chestnut Beckman's are the only RW's I'd ever consider buying. They need a stacked leather heel, though.

Obenauf's LP is great stuff. The western shop on the other end of my block sells it.

If i could picture ANYONE on this board sportin' Red Wings, it would be you [​IMG]

5. Alec_Jan

Alec_Jan Well-Known Member

anyone try the LP on 405's to darken out the red tone a bit?

6. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

If i could picture ANYONE on this board sportin' Red Wings, it would be you [​IMG]
    Honestly, they are much too 'lumberjack' for me. In an ideal world, I'd wear something a little sleeker. Time for another MOTO photo. [​IMG] ahhhhhhhhhhhh......

7. splattered

^^^I can definitely appreciate the quality that those appear to present but i'm not so sure i like the styling... those uppers are like one single piece with laces and a little triangle on top of the foot :p

BTW where is your "I sell" thread? I was looking at the key ring leathers and asked a question about the honda remote and lost track of the thread haha

8. Vaitek

Vaitek Well-Known Member

^^^I can definitely appreciate the quality that those appear to present but i'm not so sure i like the styling... those uppers are like one single piece with laces and a little triangle on top of the foot :p BTW where is your "I sell" thread? I was looking at the key ring leathers and asked a question about the honda remote and lost track of the thread haha
    Check his sig above, I just ordered a few things myself!

9. splattered

Check his sig above, I just ordered a few things myself!

Haha d'oh! When i clicked reply and remembered i wanted to check his thread i scrolled down and the sigs arent present in prev posts when you're in reply mode. Oops.

10. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

Has anyone here used the Leather Oil on loafers? I read a post with someone saying the oil can be used on softer leathers and dress shoes. Obenauf's site only ever talks about using their products on boots. I have some loafers that are thin and was thinking about using this on them.

11. bye4now122

bye4now122 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of leather driving mocs I put them on after they get trashed. They're brown but get scratches etc, works pretty well.

12. dixonmanor

dixonmanor Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone has applied LP or leather oil to natural, undyed, or very light colored leathers. Results?

13. Indigo_phobia

Indigo_phobia Active Member

I applied them on my natural/tan SC garrison belt. It'll darken them a bit.

14. dibadiba

dibadiba Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone has applied LP or leather oil to natural, undyed, or very light colored leathers. Results?

I used it all over my undyed veg-tan bag. darkened it a wee bit, looks terrific now.

15. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Yeah, it barely darkens it if any. Mostly, it gives it a nice matte sheen.

16. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Well-Known Member

I think it varies from leather to leather. It didn't have any noticeable darkening effect on my RW GTs, but my light brown Tricker's PTBs are now medium brown...

17. Froosh

Froosh Well-Known Member

Does Obenauf's LP permanently darken the leather or does it have to be reapplied every so often? Would like to try it out, but only if the darkening wears off.

18. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

As far as I know, leather never gets lighter, regardless of whether or not you use Obenauf's. Unless you paint it, that is...

Whenever I use it on natural veg-tanned leather, it darkens quite a bit at first, but then lightens almost back to normal within about a half hour.

19. Froosh

Froosh Well-Known Member

Thanks zissou. Does anyone have experience with Obenauf's leather oil vs LP? Which one darkens leather more? Planning to use it on some brown Katahdin boots.

20. Islander

Islander Well-Known Member

I have these Red Wing Iron Ranger boots in Hawthorne and used Obenauf's LP to waterproof them when they were new. Hawthorne is a rough-out leather so it darkened them quite a bit.