• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obenauf's LP: It works

videocrew

Reaction score
So I have an old pair of Clark's Wallabees that had seen better days. They were pretty stained, dried out, and discolored. I washed them Lexol, then some saddle soap. Then I rinsed all that in warm water. Below, the results of applying Obenauf's to one of the pair (one coat so far).

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

Very cool stuff. I'm going to leave them in my trunk for a day or two to let the heat really soak the wax into the leather. Then I'll do another coat with my wife's hairdryer. Should make exceptional walking-the-dog shoes this fall.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow great job man.

anyone know where i can get obenaufs in DC metro area?

erbs

Reaction score
Just buy it from the Obenauf's website.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah id idnt want to wait for it to ship cuz i kinda need it now for my tanner belt. worst case scenario i will but i was hoping had it at a brick and mortar store

Chip

Reaction score
Red wings stores for sure, I was just there last week, and probably most other workboot stores.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall they only sell products through the web.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have the SAME wallabies, will post pics soon

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Gorgeous
inlove.gif

I've always sworn by Obenauf's, both the LP and Leather oil
Those came out beautiful though, might hafta scout out a pair of old wallabees and try it out myself haha

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it recommended to use sno-seal on top of Obenauf's ? or just stick to one or the other ?

changed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
is it recommended to use sno-seal on top of Obenauf's ? or just stick to one or the other ?

Obenaufs sells this waterproof spray that I like.

I treated my pair of Katahdin LL Bean boots w/ the LP and water-proofer and they look great.

I also use the LP to treat my Brooks B17 bike saddle
laugh.gif

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz

I've always used sno-seal but been curious about Obenauf's. I don't know how much obenauf's waterproofs or if it's just resistant. Sno-seal is pretty much water-wicking waterproofness. If my boots get wet it's because the water seeped in through the stitched seams and that takes a while.

Russel Moccasin company swears by obenauf's and makes a passing statement about how sno-seal and other products like it clog the pores. Sno-seal claims that it doesn't stop breathability, but who really knows?

There are people who've been using both sno-seal and obenauf's for years with no problems so i'd see no problem with topping off the obenauf's with sno-seal or using a different conditioner and then sno-seal or just sno-seal.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to darken a natural leather belt I just got. What is the process? Will obenaufs do the trick (and put it in the sun afterwards?) or do I need some other product?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads