1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Oatmeal....confused about its food group.

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by greg, May 9, 2004.

1. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Add meat: you need help.

I have added tuna and peanut butter into oatmeal before. The result was surprisingly satisfying.

Oatmeals don't magically "moves between food group though". [​IMG]

2. why

why Well-Known Member

Add meat: you need help.
    That'd be called haggis. (Actually, it works well in place of breadcrumbs in many recipes like meatloaf tat require a starch).

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I have added tuna and peanut butter into oatmeal before. The result was surprisingly satisfying.

Tuna in oatmeal? Not for me.

4. whacked

Tuna in oatmeal? Not for me.

I know. That was when I lived in a college dormitory, and often got hunry late night when the cafeteria had already closed. Thus interesting (and some might consider disgusting) combination emerged.

5. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Because of your first statement, I reserve the right to ignore your second statement. So there. [​IMG]

That'd be called haggis.

(Actually, it works well in place of breadcrumbs in many recipes like meatloaf tat require a starch).

...I've heard of Haggis, and read where Anthony Bourdain speaks highly of it. I also understand it goes really well with scotch, provided you consume the scotch first in copious quantities.

And I'm totally taking notes on the binding qualities of oatmeal. How that never occurred to me before I have no clue. I've certainly had to scrape out a saucepan or twenty.

6. blank

blank Well-Known Member

Is Quaker Oatmeal's "regular" variety healthy?

7. whacked

Correct answer: depends on how, when, and why you eat it.

Dumb one: I guess.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

If you're eating oatmeal to reduce cholesterol you aren't trying hard enough. You have to eat an ungodly amount for the fiber in oatmeal to matter, which makes you fatter, which raises triglycerides and cholesterol.

Go for a run and skip breakfast.

I think you're missing the point. You don't eat oatmeal because of the over-advertised "cholesterol-reducing" thing. You eat it because it's a decent, filling meal that isn't loaded with cholesterol. And while I'm certainly pro-exercise, "not eating" isn't really a viable long-term health plan.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Is Quaker Oatmeal's "regular" variety healthy?

Yes. The easy way to tell, as someone else said, is read the ingredient list. It should be: oats.

10. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

McCann's has very good steel cut oats and a quick and easy version that only takes 5-minutes to cook.

http://www.mccanns.ie/

Thanks! I think our supermarket has this. I'll try it tomorrow.

I usually get the 2.5-minute Quaker's but today I tried the 1.5 minute Quaker's (hey, I saved a full minute!) and it didn't taste as good, probably because it was milled so finely.

11. Young Scrappy

Young Scrappy Well-Known Member

Um, I just started eating oatmeal. I bought big ole flavored Quaker oatmeal box from Costco. Is this a problem?

12. CTGuy

CTGuy Well-Known Member

I love oatmeal. My usual breakfast is a bowl of steelcut outmeal, plus a small amount of brown sugar and a hand full of frozen rasberries and frozen blueberries. The frozen fruit thaws out in the hot oatmeal providing a delightful result.

Any info on if microwaving it has any negative results?

The peanut butter thing is a good idea-- going to try that tommorrow.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

I am having steel-cut oats as I type this. Definitely tastier than the Quaker oats I was having!

I added about half a cup of milk and some honey after it was done cooking.

14. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

This sounds like one of the more disgusting food combinations I've ever heard of.

15. repressedm

repressedm Well-Known Member

I bought the natural peanut butter from Trader Joes'. Peanut butter is so much better unsweetened. [​IMG]

16. CTGuy

CTGuy Well-Known Member

I tried the peanut butter this morning in my oatmeal+frozen fruit combo in place of the brown sugar I usually add. I have to say that while the peanut butter (this was organic stuff) added a nice nuttiness, I think the oatmealed lacked a certain sweetness the brown sugar provides and it also makes the mixture a little more...sticky and dry. I am thinking about adding a little honey tommorrow.