1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Oak Street Bootmakers

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JRyder, Aug 31, 2010.

1. eljlakers

eljlakers Well-Known Member

OSB waxed flesh in the April snow:
    [​IMG]

2. JTK

JTK Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the new wingtips in the flesh? I was considering the PTB, but these looks nice. Looking for something that can be dressed down, and the double sole seems to do the trick, but I'm still on the fence.

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

This thread has been kinda dead lately, but I just sent a pair of OSB trail oxfords back to OSB for recrafting. $96 including return shipping. Has anyone used their factory recrafting before? I'm sort of curious to see how they come out.

4. stonewall1614

stonewall1614 Well-Known Member

guys,

whats the word on the loafer sizing. I would like to pick up a pair. Should I size down 1/2 and go with my Barrie sizing? Or should I go down a whole size. I see conflicting info from their site to their retailers sites.

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Are you planning on wearing them with socks or bare foot?

I don't know my Barrie last size, but I'll try to help anyway. I typically wear a 9E in most Allen Edmonds lasts (although I could probably go 8.5E or 8.5EEE on some). I own two OSB loafers. Natty beefrolls on leather soles that I wear with socks, in 8.5, and dark brown beefrolls on the crepe soles, which I wear barefoot mostly, in 8.

The 8.5 fits well with medium weight (or even thin) socks, but barefoot might be a tad too loose. The 8 is good for me barefoot, although it pinches slightly on my 5th toe. Not enough to bother me or cause me to size up.

6. letsgofire

letsgofire Well-Known Member

I went down a full size for a loafer but used my normal size for the boots. Going down a full size was snug at first but has worked out well after they broke in.

7. stonewall1614

stonewall1614 Well-Known Member

anyone know anything about the fit of the lined burgundy ones?

8. CommodoreMarvel

CommodoreMarvel Member

I like my trench boots, but I have found the last to be some what troublesome. The toe box is wide, but flat and I often find my toes pushed down on from the "roof" of the boot. I bought them TTS and the rest of it fits well, even slightly loosely so I feel like I can't wear light socks to give my feet space without sliding in them. After one painful trudge up a hill in San Francisco, I kicked off my trenches and found that the leather insole had come loose from the foam padding underneath. To my surprise I found that with the slender leather insole removed my toes felt so much better and now I'm considering placing 3/4 insoles into the Oak streets so that the heel is tight and the toes live in peace. Has anyone else had this issue?

9. Fred G. Unn

Barrie size for me, down 1/2.

10. linafelt

linafelt Well-Known Member

I definitely had an issue with the low toebox, just as you describe. In my case I was wearing them with orthotic insoles, which I need for support, and that crowded the toes quite a bit. 3/4s worked better, but I could never really get used to the way that sort of insole felt on my feet. I think the boots would both look and feel better with a little more of a rounded toe...

11. letsgofire

letsgofire Well-Known Member

Does anyone have pictures of a "lived-in" natural penny loafer style? I have my eyes on a pair for the summer but wanted to get a sense for how they will look over time.

12. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

There's a foam padding underneath? That might explain the problem I have with my Lakeshore boots.

They squeak. It's effing annoying. I thought they'd stop but it's been months and I don't wear them often because it's so noticeable. I can feel the insoles making the squeaking noise through my feet. If the insoles have some kind of foam built in maybe I should just pull them out and get some leather insole replacements.

13. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

I wear a 10D in Barrie, 9.5 in handsewns, and a 10 in the Lakeshore last. I find it more roomy than the Barrie even.

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

If they use a shank for some sort, that can squeak (forever) as well.

15. Fred G. Unn

I just have two pairs of trail oxfords, both 9.5. I'm a 9.5D in Barrie, UK9E in C&J, 43 in Vass F and P2, 43.5 in Vass U, and usually 10E in AE. I haven't tried the OSB Lakeshore last yet, so I can't really comment.

I did get confirmation today from Tony Pace, the "Director of Operations" at OSB that they received my shoes for recrafting. I'll post pics when I get them back.

16. Fred G. Unn

Just got them back today! New Vibram soles, new leather laces, new sock liners, nice polish job to even the finish, new box, overall I'm very happy with the service for the price!

1 person likes this.
  17. eljlakers

eljlakers Well-Known Member

Pics! Before and after if you have 'em!

1 person likes this.
  18. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Anyone try (or at least have a chance to see in person) the new double sole wingtips in either bourbon or chocolate?

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/chocolate-double-sole-wingtip

I really like the look of those and am very very tempted to pull the trigger on them. I love OSB's loafers but keep hearing so-so things about the quality of their boots. No clue what to expect with these wingtip bluchers!

19. warriortree

warriortree Well-Known Member

I would like to share with you my last osb purchase

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are awesome , the natural CXL is amazing

I have wolverine and these ones and I don't know which one I prefer ...

2 people like this.
  20. pima1234

pima1234 Well-Known Member

I thought they didn't do any recrafting. Excellent!

Get to know a good local cobbler, of course. But, maybe equally as good to be able to send it back to the company.

And, that natural CXL will age beautifully! My trench oxfords look amazing. (Still a little tight, though...)