1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NYC traveling bespoke suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nycsuit addict, May 22, 2012.

1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

This thread just got real... :lurk:

Mr. Rudolph, would it be possible to get some pics showing some fine details of your work? That would be brilliant...

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

You had me at "One sewing machine."

3. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

You are easily had!

4. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

I don't think the sewing machine is used for the "100% made by hand" suit.

The sewing machine is used to seal the envelope in which the bill is inserted...100% written by hand.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  5. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

Reposted without comment.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  6. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

Sorry NYsuitaddict
    are you drunk or it my computer screen...same photo as before....do you need the chair to stand upright ..as requested seen as you have a bespoke suit do mr pedrali a favour and stand up straight and get a friend to take a photo front back and side. Feed the suit to the wolves, the wait has made them hungry. If on the other hand you are a Polio victim or such I apologize and would then like to say what a lovely chair

7. Rudolf

Rudolf Active Member

Jubeispiegel, unfortunatley I am unable to provide pics. I wouldn't want to give anyone the impression that I was using Styleforum for advertising. Please feel free to visit my website or you can view my youtube video, just enter my name. Warning, I am no actor or salesperson, I am just a tailor. Feel free to send me an email if you have any questions or just want to chat about Bespoke tailoring. It is always my pleasure to deal with people who appreciate fine tailoring.

8. paulbnyc

paulbnyc Active Member

Amen. Gbr needs to be off this board.

9. HRH Demetri

HRH Demetri Member

I recently contacted Mr. Popradi via email on his website and he replied promptly & very courteously. He seems to be a rarity among todays
    business environs, it applies to all professions today unfortuneatly. I hope to order from him in the near future. From what my eye saw & ear heard on his video he is a true artist, diligent in his practise and consumate in his art. I believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is my personal opinion based on my experiences only. I'd buy Mr. Popradi a meal & a glass of wine anytime as I would any tailor that I would hold in high esteem.

10. papito

papito Member

Last October I posted a comment under the heading "Bespoke Tailoring in Montreal; Locating the Best". I had just received a cashmere jacket from Rudolf Popradi and wanted to share my pleasure over this beautiful piece of work amongst, as I thought, fellow afficionados of bespoke tailoring. What followed was a surprise: somebody in Montreal, with the handle Mr Mystery, accused me of being both a spammer and untrustworthy. After a one line response I bowed out of any further discussion; I have neither the time nor interest in this type of unpleasantness. I presume Nycsuit addict was doing what I did: he had located a great tailor, was happy with the outcome and wanted to share the experience in a forum dedicated to quality clothing. With regard to the opinion of GBR that ".......no one joins a web board to eulogise about a suit he has just bought" I would respectfully like to differ. Sites such as these are precisely the places to discuss these things and all the more so in a field where bespoke work is becoming more difficult to locate and tailors such as these are retiring without being replaced by graduating apprentices.
    Although I can understand some of the queries involved in the current exchange with Nycsuit addict what I want to comment on is the unpleasant, not to say vitriolic, tone of the responses; I am, of course, referring to those of GBR, yywwyy and, to some degree Brendon, particularly the latter's commentary on the photos. What is the purpose of this type of commentary? All the guy was doing, and here I can empathise, was sharing his pleasure at finding a fine craftsman tailor and with the outcome.
    On reflection, and here I will conclude, the rather bitter nature of these responses and the speed at which they emerged probably says less about any interest in bespoke clothing but much about the inner conflict and discontent and malcontented outlook of their authors.

11. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Well-Known Member

This is truly bizarre.

12. paradoxical3

paradoxical3 Well-Known Member

Admins should check the IP's of people in this thread. I'm sure more than a few accounts are from the same one.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  13. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

You want examples of his work?

Just check out the website.

http://www.rudolfpopradi.com/photo_gallery.html

Maybe some people like the styling of Popradi's work, but I think they're incredibly lifeless and oddly styled, especially with regards to the silhouette, chest, shoulders and gorge.

14. paradoxical3

paradoxical3 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or he is trying to do the Tom Ford shoulder in a lot of those pics?

15. dirkweems

dirkweems Well-Known Member

NCHORMAN:Tthe Legend of Ron Burgundy. This thread is that ridiculous and that funny. Who will come out of the woodwork to say what next.

16. Brendon

Hi Papito
    I take affront to your prosecution of my posts.
    Why don't you read again,what I posted, firstly pointing out the difference between Bespoke and Made to measure. NYsuit addict stated he had other bespoke suits like RL Purple. I kindly tried to point out the difference and if he had truly between to a bespoke tailor and should " shout it from the rooftops. All tailors suffer occasionally from idiots who do not know the difference between MTM and Bespoke despite the fitting process so I sympathise with Mr Popradi for this. Although NYsuitaddict was complimentary about his tailor he was presenting himself as such. I do not think I was unkind as NYSA was very reticent in posting photo's and then the same photo was posted twice, and what a lean, I had to break one leg off my computer table just to look at it....But then the chair looked drunk. I think Mr Popradi ( may have got the name wrong before,..apologies) looked like a good tailor and have sent a personal message to him with information about cloth and an interest in a visit if I get to Montreal. Oh yes I forgot I also stated that Dormeuil Amadeus is not the cloth it was. Back in the late 1990'sonwards till about 2000 or so, Amadeus was a super 100....Now it is not. So even you can figure out what has happened to the quality there. I behaved like a gentleman in all posts. Perhaps trying to add a dash of humour ie the chair looked drunk...I explain..... the chair is not actually drinking.....
    regards
    Brendon

17. jeff13007

jeff13007 Well-Known Member

This is not nescesarily true, some bespoke tailors (A&S and their alum come to mind) go straight to the forward fitting. When i had a bespoke one made by Steed i think that is what i did if i remember correctly. A common misconception is that the definition of bespoke means lots of fittings and this is untrue you might have more fittings at MTM than bespoke or vice versa depending on how fast your tailor fixes any issues, bespoke simply means that a individual paper pattern has been cut for you as opposed to MTM where an existing patten is altered to your measurements and MTO where a block model is used for you. You are right in saying that RLPL, brooks custom etc are not bespoke, but Len Logsdail and Henry Poole which he mentioned are bespoke.

18. harrismargaret9

harrismargaret9 New Member

nice catch on 100% handmade…. Lol

19. Brendon

Bespoke used to mean what it meant. It does not today. If you relax the standard you get what we have here andf what is commonly misunderstood in some of these posts. In my city Auckland you can visit a Bespoke Dentist, Bespoke Aromatherapist, Bespoke Mortgage Broker, Bespoke Builder,Bespoke Cabinet maker and yes you can visit 20 suit places that offer Bespoke Made to Measure, all of them made in the same two factories. The proper tailors you can count on part of one hand. Yes and Henry Poole are fine tailors, however.....here's the rant. .....If you have been to Henry Poole in Savile Row as NYSaddict had and also visited Mr Popradi who takes 80 painstaking careful hours of making and you can't differentiate between this intensive process to going in to a fakey RL and having a shop assistant chalk an unfinished cuff on a sleeve and serve you a coffee and brush the shoulders a couple of times a look knowingly as if he or she is suddenly going to re pitch the sleeve or straighten the jacket having previously taken their mont blanc and ticked the posture boxes or sleeve -1cm, waist +2cm boxes and marveled at their creation. Then if the difference is not palpable then one does possibly not deserve the art of Bespoke Tailoring. Trying on a block and making some notes is not the same as the sometimes 2 steps forward and one step back of Bespoke Tailoring. I would not go to a tailor that did not have a first fitting, or keep inlays to make changes in the balance F and B and and straighten or crooken a coat. And though I am not one to turn away good business, I would not want a customer that by the end of my work, struggled to tell the difference between a bespoke suit and Rl Purple. Unlike NYSA I know my purple from my Bespoke.... Barney the dinosaur is Purple
    respectfully
    Brendon

20. Brendon

Sorry for some repeating some previous info there
    Brendon