1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NYC eyes ban on restaurant trans fats

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Charley, Sep 27, 2006.

1. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

At most of the parties I go to everybody ends up in the kitchen (although I suppose many would prefer to end up in the bedroom).

Thats funny, the parties I go to are just the opposite!

2. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

I am under the impression that transfats were just brought in because people thought lard was bad for them. Turns out this is bullshit. Ask me if I'm suprised.

This is another problem with this kind of Mommy-State legislation.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

The depiction of the future in that film was quite quirky and humorous, not at all what one would expect from a Hollywood film.

Ya, I still want to know how the damned pyramids worked. The best scene in the movie was when Stallone needed toilet paper ;p

4. raley

raley Well-Known Member

Where are the lawyers here. There is no way this could get passed is there?

5. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Land of the free/ Home of the brave

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

does anyone remember the movie Demolishion Man with Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes? They banned all restaurants except for taco bell b/c it was the only thing that was healthy... It's been a while since i've seen it but they weren't even allowed salt.

Yeah, that futuristic looking building that was police headquarters in the movie is actually Irvine's city hall, and most of the movie was shot in Irvine... that's Orange County for you, i guess.

7. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Amen to that. Pleasure Police abound.

8. mr_economy

mr_economy Well-Known Member

Where are the lawyers here. There is no way this could get passed is there?

The 10th Amendment is interpreted as giving states control over the "police powers", currently defined as the areas of "health, safety, welfare, and morals." I do not think it is any long stretch to say trans fats certainly fall under the domain of health and safety.

9. Aureus

Aureus Well-Known Member

Some more help from the nannies:

NYC eyes ban on restaurant trans fats

NEW YORK (AP) -- Three years after the city banned smoking in restaurants, health officials are talking about prohibiting something they say is almost as bad: artificial trans fatty acids.

The city health department unveiled a proposal Tuesday that would bar cooks at any of the city's 24,600 food service establishments from using ingredients that contain the artery-clogging substance, commonly listed on food labels as partially hydrogenated oil.

I said it back then and I'll say it again, [​IMG] , Once you ban smoking you can ban everything else.

10. JaredK7

JaredK7 Active Member

I think it is awesume. It is so hard to eat healthy these days. I wish LA would do that too

11. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Seems like it would be quicker and easier for restaurants to simply be forced to put a sign out saying whether or not they use trans fats in their recipes. I try to avoid them when possible. Personally I'd choose a nice stick of butter over a stick of crisco any day. I'm guessing butter is just a lot more money than Acme shortening. If you are paying more than $10 an entree and they aren't using real butter, that is pretty shady.

12. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

One recent article I read named this the Crisco Crisis. If it is a Crisis, then the government Must do something to protect us from it. Just ask enough experts and it can be proven that most everything in everyday life involves dealing with a crisis.

13. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

Forget about trans fats, tell nanny about acrylamide.

14. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

what is a trans fat, anyway?

Yesterday I ate a regional dish called Gnocco e tigelle. Basically small, warm circular puff-pastry things into which ones put any of the following: Parma ham/prosciutto crudo, salame piccante, stracchino cheese, Nutella, parmegiano reggiano, or pure lard mixed with garlic and rosemary. ... I feel a pain shooting up my arm and down my side just thinking about the amount of butter and animal fats I get through.

I can imagine the reaction here if the busy-bodies in authority suggested outlawing this or any other food.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

does anyone remember the movie Demolishion Man with Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes? They banned all restaurants except for taco bell b/c it was the only thing that was healthy... It's been a while since i've seen it but they weren't even allowed salt.
    Sounds like a lame rip-off of a joke from Woody Allen's Sleeper.