1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NYC Cobbler recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Torsion, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Torsion

Torsion Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have just relocated ot the Big Apple and loving it. Unfortunately as I am new in town I do not currently know the local haunts just yet and looking for recommendations for good cobblers around the Midtown West area (I will also use the search on here when not at work but hopefully some knid people can advise and give opinions):slayer:

I wear English shoes and have recently started getting metal toe plates fitted. Are there any cobblers that fit these well that you guys can recommend to me?

I have the ones which are nailed on similar to Blakeys on my current pairs but also looking at the ones which are cut into the toe like the Lulu ones below.

http://www.leatherandgrindery.com/lulu-toe-plates-metal

I've also had the following topy style Hard Elastomer ultra-thin soles fitted (by Shoekey London) to recent purchases - anywhere in NY that do these?

http://www.whatmakesaman.net/wordpress/2011/10/25/the-solution-for-bench-made-shoes/

I could always wait for my next trip back to London however I should be receiving delivery of my first two two pairs of double monks this evening and looking forward to wearing these asap but not before I get the toe plates or Blakey equivalent fitted!

Thanks in adviance :)

2. Torsion

I've also had the following topy style Hard Elastomer ultra-thin soles fitted (by Shoekey London) to recent purchases - anywhere in NY that do these?

http://www.whatmakesaman.net/wordpress/2011/10/25/the-solution-for-bench-made-shoes/

quote]

I know this could be considered a sin to those purists out there but I was looking for an option due to the fact that I will be based in NY for at least 3 years and would rather not have to send my shoes back to the UK to get resoled :satisfied:

3. Goodman

Goodman Well-Known Member

VIP shoe restorers (B. Nelson on the internet) is the place to have metal toe plates installed. They are located Midtown East - 140 E. 55th St.. It's not Midtown West but it's a lot closer than England.

4. forseti6

forseti6 Well-Known Member

I second this recommendation. I have them put toe caps on all my shoes. They do excellent work.

5. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

+1

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

+2 they do good work

7. Quadcammer

btw no one who lives here calls it the big apple

8. Torsion

Thanks all for the recommendation.What's the cost for these and are these the sunken toe plates or tacked on nail type?

@Quadcammer-spot the tourist :)

9. Torsion

I searched other threads and found out the answer to my own questions - sunken plates!

10. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

If downtown, Minas Shoe Repair has always done me well. I've never had sunken toe taps installed, but I have no reason to believe he wouldn't be able to do a good job of it.

11. Quadcammer

minas is fine, but for a higher end shoe or a more complex job, i say its worth the trip uptown

12. Torsion

If I wake up early enough tomorrow I'm going to take my 3 new pairs over to B.Nelson before work to get the toe plates put in and may check out the Topy offering as I've had these put on my recent pairs and very impressed with them (from London)

13. forseti6

I think it's usually something like $35 or so...

14. Quadcammer

yup, unless its increased, its $35 for the sunken toe plates.

15. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

:eh:

16. Torsion

Shoes taken first thing this morning. Dealt with a guy called Jose (who had some very nice shoes on) and hopefully they'll do a good job!
    He appreaciated the 3 pairs of English made I took to get toe plates added :)

17. Torsion

One more question!

If $35 to fit each how much tip do I give? :embar:

I'm new and trying to get into the tipping culture over here!

18. forseti6

Nothing. You don't tip on that. Just food, alcohol and "services" rendered in front of you (i.e. hair cut, shoe shine, concierge)

19. Torsion

Thanks man!

20. Phrost

Phrost Well-Known Member

Be wary of Minas Shoe Repair in downtown NYC. The man and his wife are friendly and fast (1 day turnaround) but he's very sloppy with his work. It wasn't the cheapest at $38, either.

I brought a practically brand new (worn once) pair of Wolverine 1K boots to him to have rubber sole protectors (Topy's) put on. Now that I'm home, I'm seeing a bunch of new scratches/marks on the leather, most likely from handling and the tools he used. I get that that doing this isn't the gentlest work, but it's plain sloppy.

The marks are mostly superficial and other than the pock marks on the inner vamp of the right shoe, most would have likely come with general wear, but there's this nick/gouge on the tongue that pisses me off. The top layer of the leather is gouged enough that the suede is visible and hanging. I've used a toothpick with glue to do the best I can.

What's ironic is that I was thinking of buying the supplies and doing it myself, as it's not the most difficult task, but I opted to have a professional do it. This is a reminder take your time and inspect everything before you pay and leave the shop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016