• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nudie? Dead?

nomovement

Reaction score
OK, so I live in chicago and I work at a boutique. We picked up nudie last summer; but we ordered so late that nudie couldn't fill our order-crap, 6 more months of looking at nasty antiks hanging on the wall. ALas I haven't seen anyone wearing Nudie until late june, a customer from la...but just the other day this cooltrucker came in wearing nike af-1's, ssd's 3 sizes too large to get an effective sag circa 1998 AND he was wearing a bape tee along with some fake prada faceshields. Now when I look around online I see lots of cheap nudie's and some of the really blase' mid-level boutiques in chicago are starting to stock nudie's. Is this the end of nudie? Or do you guys think that nudie will be the next acne in that, while they've been on the radar for 5 or 6 years, they're still cool.... respond away.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nudie=sergio valente circa 1984

nomovement

Reaction score
but that **** was hot...John redcorn wears sergio valente! plus, I had a psychic vision of you posting a pair of sergio's that you found at goodwill for $2 and all of styleforum was gushing!!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WHo the hell is Sergio Valente? And why should anyone care if Nudies are in or not? I thought that the cut & denim quality mattered anyway, not the name.

twin8885

Reaction score
What store do you work at? You obviously dont work at Jake, Guise or E Street Denim because those are the only 3 stores carrying Nudie in Chicago. If i had to guess you probably work at the denim lounge.

I was just at Project Trade show and Nudie is no where near dead my friend, it doesn't hold the cult like status amongst the hipsters as it did last year, but that is because its to mainstream for most people you will find here.

Nudie is trying to become a major player in the denim market and compete with the big guys like the 7's, citizens, and true religions, so they are opening up their distribution channels. It's also a horrible time for us Nudie fans because raw denim is the IT jean of the season, so brands like Nudie (and everyone else now making a raw) are getting a lot of press.

I personally just bought a new pair of Nudies because I think there fits are classic and I love the back pockets, but a lof of people will seek out other brands (i.e. japanese denim companies). Last year you would never see a pair of Nudies let alone raw denim, but I have talked with the owner of a shop that sells nudies and they are finding they are doing really well and that a lof of people like the classic look fo raw denim.

So, i guess thats your answer, Nudie might be dead around here, but we are always looking for the next big thing, we are trend setters not followers. But, you will still find a lot of nudie lovers here and at mynudies.com

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess that is why I am not a hipster. Dropping jeans because they are "mainstream" without taking anything else in to account is beyond my comprehension.
So, what denim is in then?

Ott

Reaction score
they're becoming more common and losing the "uniqueness" factor. Big deal. They're still high quality jeans with great cuts.

I still pick off the back stitching though
inlove.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott
they're becoming more common and losing the "uniqueness" factor. Big deal. They're still high quality jeans with great cuts.

I still pick off the back stitching though
inlove.gif

You know, I think I agree there. I did not like the RRDS I tried on enough to keep them at the price I paid but maybe in the future I would do that.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nomovement
6 more months of looking at nasty antiks hanging on the wall.

On a side note, does anyone want to fess up to actually owning a pair of these monstrosities? You can remain anonymous by using the "I have this friend" or " a buddy of mine from work" lines. I'm not trying to rag on you (maybe a little), just curious if these jeans actually sell and who they're sold to.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an interestng thread, seeing that half the posts here on SF are about sizing on Nudies and whether the RRDG is cut skinnier than the RRDS. The brand has lost some of it's cachet because of it's wider distribution (I remember when Nudie had no North American distribution, and Traffic and HTC were pretty much the only places in LA carrying them (for ~$80 less than they go for now
smile.gif
), but I think that it will be a big player for a while, and, with some sound decisions, can keep a place in the "premium" denim market. I personally think that they are far superior to Acnes, Julian Reds, and the other Swedish brands being imported.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
This is an interestng thread, seeing that half the posts here on SF are about sizing on Nudies and whether the RRDG is cut skinnier than the RRDS. The brand has lost some of it's cachet because of it's wider distribution (I remember when Nudie had no North American distribution, and Traffic and HTC were pretty much the only places in LA carrying them (for ~$80 less than they go for now
smile.gif
), but I think that it will be a big player for a while, and, with some sound decisions, can keep a place in the "premium" denim market. I personally think that they are far superior to Acnes, Julian Reds, and the other Swedish brands being imported.

Why do you think they would have difficulty keeping their "premium" status?
(not beiung a smart arse, just curious).

P.s. by premium do you mean "designer/cachet" or quality?

Ott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
smile.gif

Nudie is going to be much more popular than those other Swedish brands you named for a couple reasons, and I don't think it has much to do with quality. -Acne/JR have no backpocket stitching, and I think most average people (ie people who don't talk about fashion on the internet
tounge.gif
) want others to know they're rocking expensive jeans. The swirl is easily recognizable, just like Diesel/7/Antik/etc. The detailing helps increase awareness of the brand. -Nudies have a larger variety of cuts than Acne/JR and appeal more to people with different body types. Acnes are great at skinny jeans, but not everyone can wear those.. especially the average N. American male. JRs are great at the slouchy "I have no ass" effect but I don't think most people would like that... it takes a certain style to pull off. Pretty much anyone can wear regular ralfs and look good. -Also Nudie's marketing is pretty great, I have to admit. They play up the whole naked/authentic denim thing perfectly.
Originally Posted by skalogre
You know, I think I agree there. I did not like the RRDS I tried on enough to keep them at the price I paid but maybe in the future I would do that.
you mean pick off the stitching? Its incredibly easy, takes a seam ripper and a half hour of your time
smile.gif
I even did it to the conny jacket I got.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, I removed the Nudie stitching on both pairs I have.

First, I don't think it's dead. The price point is high enough, particularly for the selvage models, to keep it out of the hands for most of the masses. Second, even if it's considered dead, I'd still wear mine because I like the fit.

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score
i was at the pitchfork music fest over the weekend in chicago and i actually saw three pairs of nudies, a slim jim, a long john and maybe a ralf. i also saw a pair of imperials that looked great in person. i had never actually seen nudies in person but the denim was much darker than i thought.
im definately going to get a pair now.

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
I love my nudies. My boot cut olas are the best fitting pair of jeans I have ever owned, and I will soon buy another pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads