1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Not all Hong Kong tailors are good.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Robert Bowron, Aug 31, 2011.

1. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

Yes they should.

2. browne78

browne78 Member

So I have about a year before people will trust anything I have to say ?

3. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Not surprising - why on earth did you not direct him to one of the few decent houses?

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Quote:
    There's every reason to warn against particular tailors, but no need for racism from anyone here.

I've had things done by Raja in the past, who are an Indian Hong Kong firm who also do the flying visits thing, and never had any problems, in fact they have always been excellent.

5. jeff13007

jeff13007 Well-Known Member

Sometimes they don't, my bespoke suits from NSM and Steed don't have tags that say "100%" wool, or even which company they came from come to think about it i think mina forgot to put my date of commission and even my name on my suit from her lol not that i care though. But i have seen some with a "zegna wool", "loro piano" tag besides the tailor name/customer name tag so i guess its hit or miss. Did they use the same fabric that you picked at the store to make the suit? When i got an asian custom suit they cut out a sample of the fabric i picked and stapled it to the receipt so i could make sure it was the same when i picked up the finish product.

6. sammyjay

sammyjay New Member

I have bought two suits from Himark Martin, hopefully they are alright

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  7. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Perhaps he should have said, don't go to Indians, Pakistanis and Nigerians touting on Nathan Road for your tailored clothing..OK for "copy watchy" though

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd buy tailored clothing off anyone touting on any street!

9. jamesny

jamesny Well-Known Member

I think W.W. Chan is one of the rare gems among the so-called Hong Kong tailors. I like to try a few tailors and read some good reviews of them here on SF. I tried them out last time they were here in NY annd purchased 2 oxford shirts and a herringbone suit. Really nice quality and finish although I had to follow up with the delivery a few times, I was a happy camper when I received the items in good condition.

10. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

Well almost all Hong Kong Chinese have an English name, it's just to make things easier to work around.

11. guymac12

guymac12 Well-Known Member

Raja fashions designed a custom made dormeuil suit for me which was a perfect fit thhat only required 2 fittings. I needed the suit on my business trip in the US and they were gracious enough to expedite my order in time for my trip. Now that is excellent customer service in my book!

12. MattinSydney

MattinSydney New Member

I have to say a rather abrupt and unsubstantiated comment such as this is what really annoys people about discussion threads. How somebody can simply make a statement such as this for the world to see doesn't exactly do anyone any favours.

I have used Himark Martin twice and I am seeing them again tomorrow for another suit. I typically buy only Hugo Boss for the fit, since I am 6 foot 2, it's hard to get a nicely fitted suit. The quality of the materials used is second to none and I have never once had a single issue, far from this I have had many compliments about the look of the suit and from my dry cleaner who commented on how high-quality the shirt material was. Before assumptions are made, I have no commercial connection to this company, however after being introduced via a CUDO deal, I have actually arranged for Himark Martin to visit our offices here tomorrow and fit-out a number of staff.

Post your comments by all means but at least have substance to back it up, in my experience Himark Martin are superb in every way and I know a good suit when I see one.

13. kungapa

kungapa Well-Known Member

Who valued it? I'd say that is one of the hallmarks of a shady deal.

14. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Agreed; this threak looks promising...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  15. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Yes agreed totally, we need "substance to back it up." Let's see some pics, see what your suit actually looks like with you wearing it. We must see if it's superb in every way.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  16. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Yeh, any threak with "Hong Kong" and "tailor" in it is promising.

17. Gerry2013

Gerry2013 New Member

When I get something custom made I expect it to fit like a glove. Although the quality of the seam work on my three shirts was high, the fit across the top of the backs of the shirts was poor, with excessive fabric. There was also a lack of shape in the shoulders from a side on view.
    I would expect a tailor in business as long as this - one that has taken my exact measurements - to get to right first time. But they failed and I was very disappointed.
    BMV offered to make changes to the shirts when they were next in town but this was two months away and I needed the shirts now. As a compromise they refunded $15 on each shirt for local repairs but that is not enough given what local alteration shops charge.
    I ended up giving the shirts to the local op shop.
    If you are very particular about your clothing I would say stay away from this tailor. It really does need actual photos of its products online rather than the pencil sketches as I was also a bit disappointed in the shape of the collar and how it sat. The buttons on the cuffs are also very small and hard to close.
    My lesson in all this is it's okay to buy shoes and jeans online but not much else.