1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nose studs on saleswomen and teller OK?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by hchamp, Sep 17, 2007.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Everything is about image and presentation. Are you going to show up to court looking like Cris Angel even if you are the best lawyer in the world? The teller is a representation of what people see entering the bank.

In short, I think the nose studs are a bit tacky to wear in a professional setting like a bank. Chicks may look cuter or more sexy, but that isn't for the workplace....

I take your point in general. For me, because I know how little discretion tellers exercise, they don't really factor into any analysis I might make about a bank's qualifications. I have -- or at least I fool myself into think I have -- better means of making a judgment.

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

There is a shoe store in San Francisco that I only will go in to because the girl who works there is covered with tattoos. She isn't that good looking, but there is something really hot about a girl with a good body covered in one color ink.

The only thing that I don't like is the ear stretcher. Everything else is a plus for me.

Does your wife know about that weird fetish of yours?

meanie. [​IMG]

I'd rather do business with the chick who has a nose stud. That is probably 100x more "real" than any product laden metro sexual bank tellers with tacky clothes, trying their best to LOOK professional could ever hope for. They are the ones I don't trust.

Male bank tellers are some of the dorkiest looking groups of guys i've ever seen. And you forgot tacky contrasting button-holes.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that male bank tellers all have a collective shopping day at Express.

4. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

She can flirt with more men at work and get them to buy more because they'll be "strangely attracted to that wild girl with the nose ring."

5. hchamp

hchamp Well-Known Member

You realize the teller is not actually a "banker" in any meaningful sense, right? You can obviously make your own choices, but if you think that choosing a bank because none of the tellers have nose studs or tattoos means you're getting any more competence or integrity, I think you're sadly mistaken.

I can see why they pay you the big bucks. [​IMG]

No, tellers many not be "bankers", but they are the public face of the bank and they carry out all routine bank transactions. If they are allowed to dress in an unprofessional manner, it sends the wrong message, not just about them, but about the bank itself. After all, who hired these people? Who trained them? Who decided it was OK for them to dress inappropriately? Not the tellers. Something as small as a stud in the nose (or body piercings) is a symptom of bigger problems at the bank. If management has such poor judgment as to allow something so obvious, why would you trust their judgment on bigger issues involving your money? I mean, if you had a choice between placing your life savings with the investment management group of a bank that has employees with nose studs, lip rings, and tattoos, and another bank where all the employees are scrupulously dressed like bankers, who are you going to be more inclined to choose? And trust? Banking is a people business. You have to be able to trust the people who handle your money. Don't underestimate the importance of this last point.

One simple and pertinent example - tellers have full access to all of your personal information you've given the bank. They also have access to any funds you have deposited with the bank, including those in any investment accounts. I would feel better dealing with a bank where people at least look like they are honest. Wouldn't you? (And spare me the lecture about making assumptions; you know as well as I that piercings and tattoos are more common among criminals than non-criminals.)

6. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that male bank tellers all have a collective shopping day at Express.

Bank tellers dont make very much money, LK. How about cutting them a little slack? And while Im at it, whats the connection between Oprah and France?

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Bank tellers dont make very much money, LK. How about cutting them a little slack? And while Im at it, whats the connection between Oprah and France?
    Clearly, it's time for young bank tellers to take advantage of this board's selling forum. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n15378701

8. hchamp

hchamp Well-Known Member

In my experience, the culture of a company is generally pretty uniform, so that you can judge what the boss is like by looking at his employees. It's not just the training and work practices, but it's the simple fact that people like to hire and work with people like themselves. So, if the front-line personnel of a business are not professional, if they are uninformed, if they are rude, then the chances are very good that the management there shares the same faults. I can give you countless examples of this, especially for small businesses, including professional offices. The type of person a lawyer or dentist hires to answer phones for him will tell you just what kind of professional and person that lawyer or dentist is.

Likewise, a nose stud at a bank tells you, at the very least, that there is something wrong with management at that branch. I confirmed this for myself when I spoke with the bank manager. At first, he was an asshole. Then after about five minutes, it suddenly dawned on him that maybe it wasn't such a good idea for a bank to have tellers who look like whores. Then he had a sudden change of heart and became embarrasingly apologetic. It wasn't hard to see where things first went wrong there.

9. Viktri

Viktri Well-Known Member

hmm I agree with hchamp here, I don't think it is appropriate.
    My cousin used to have some piercings - nose and eyebrow - after spending 2 weeks with my super conservative mom she took them out when she returned to Chicago..

10. Augusto86

Augusto86 Well-Known Member

Isn't one of the tenet of this forum, as well as AAAC, that image is everything. I mean, is this not the reason we demand that our shirts be fitted and not blousy, that our pants are hemmed or cuffed at proper length, and that we polish our shoes? Do the lawyers on this forum go to court with a large hanging ear-loop? Dare the physician approach a patient with a ring on her lip or eyebrow? Regardless of how un-PC it is, tattoos and visible piercings project mostly negative images, in most conservative regions (yes, there are still places in the US that hold traditional view, and not all of us live either in LA, SF, Chicago, or NYC)[ As much as I respect other's opinions and we agree to disagree, I do not believe tattoos and body piercings belong in an upscale clothing establishment, and certainly not in a bank. I should just add that I really DON'T CARE what one chooses to do with one's body, but in a business situation where I'm a potential customer, tattoos and body piercings turn me off.
    It's funny, the stick up your ass is kind of turning me off...
    I can see why they pay you the big bucks. [​IMG] No, tellers many not be "bankers", but they are the public face of the bank and they carry out all routine bank transactions. If they are allowed to dress in an unprofessional manner, it sends the wrong message, not just about them, but about the bank itself. After all, who hired these people? Who trained them? Who decided it was OK for them to dress inappropriately? Not the tellers. Something as small as a stud in the nose (or body piercings) is a symptom of bigger problems at the bank. If management has such poor judgment as to allow something so obvious, why would you trust their judgment on bigger issues involving your money? I mean, if you had a choice between placing your life savings with the investment management group of a bank that has employees with nose studs, lip rings, and tattoos, and another bank where all the employees are scrupulously dressed like bankers, who are you going to be more inclined to choose? And trust? Banking is a people business. You have to be able to trust the people who handle your money. Don't underestimate the importance of this last point. One simple and pertinent example - tellers have full access to all of your personal information you've given the bank. They also have access to any funds you have deposited with the bank, including those in any investment accounts. I would feel better dealing with a bank where people at least look like they are honest. Wouldn't you? (And spare me the lecture about making assumptions; you know as well as I that piercings and tattoos are more common among criminals than non-criminals.)
    And we all know that people who make moronic statements like this are ignorant asses. Would you object to a young black male bankteller? They have a disproportionate crime rate too... Asshhole.

11. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

In my experience, the culture of a company is generally pretty uniform, so that you can judge what the boss is like by looking at his employees. It's not just the training and work practices, but it's the simple fact that people like to hire and work with people like themselves. So, if the front-line personnel of a business are not professional, if they are uninformed, if they are rude, then the chances are very good that the management there shares the same faults. I can give you countless examples of this, especially for small businesses, including professional offices. The type of person a lawyer or dentist hires to answer phones for him will tell you just what kind of professional and person that lawyer or dentist is.

Likewise, a nose stud at a bank tells you, at the very least, that there is something wrong with management at that branch. I confirmed this for myself when I spoke with the bank manager. At first, he was an asshole. Then after about five minutes, it suddenly dawned on him that maybe it wasn't such a good idea for a bank to have tellers who look like whores. Then he had a sudden change of heart and became embarrasingly apologetic. It wasn't hard to see where things first went wrong there.

Now a girl wearing a nose stud = whore? You are old school.

12. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Well-Known Member

Hchamp has to be the most ignant bigot on this forum.. I enjoyed his spat with Chrono because it was some funny crap but jeez... Its the 21 century, get over yourself.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Since we're talking about presentation, signs and implications, I can say this paragraph alone tells me that you're a cool, laidback person and I'd like to have a beer with you.

14. BubblyMasquerade

Hey, question that does not pertain whatsoever to the current topic. Hchamp, were you born in the 1800's? I bet you think its bad to fuck before marriage, eh bro?

15. redcaimen

It's funny, the stick up your ass is kind of turning me off...

And we all know that people who make moronic statements like this are ignorant asses. Would you object to a young black male bankteller? They have a disproportionate crime rate too...

Asshhole.

Boy, Augusto, you are awfully nasty today. These people are not making totally out of line comments. The first guy is saying that appearance has the potential to make a business lose business. Substitute strong body odor for nose thingy and maybe you can relate a little better to his point. The second guys comments may be a little misguided but you might want to tone it down a little. We dont all have your Solomonic gifts. Not all of us are cut out to be journalists.

16. BubblyMasquerade

^^ Their comments were ignant. Ignantness should be rewarded with an abusive verbal tirade. Augusto, you did good.

17. SoCal2NYC

A) Bank Tellers look like shit. I'd rather have a girl with a nose ring than the douche bag with square toe shoes and shirt with baggy sleeves.

B) "If you have a visible (blank) you'll be a lowly clerk forever" is true. It's also true that if you don't have a visible or tattoos you'll be a lowly clerk forever. If you have talent regardless of what you look like then you shouldn't have a problem getting that job.

18. Augusto86

Augusto86 Well-Known Member

Boy, Augusto, you are awfully nasty today. These people are not making totally out of line comments. The first guy is saying that appearance has the potential to make a business lose business. Substitute strong body odor for nose thingy and maybe you can relate a little better to his point. The second guys comments may be a little misguided but you might want to tone it down a little. We dont all have your Solomonic gifts. Not all of us are cut out to be journalists.

Yeah, I'm a bit testy today - I've been sick and I'm in the process of reading 24 Cantos of the Faerie Queene.

And as a Journalist, would you mind if I interviewed you? I'm doing an obit on your sense of humor...

19. redcaimen

^^ Their comments were ignant. Ignantness should be rewarded with an abusive verbal tirade. Augusto, you did good.

Augusto aspires to be a journalist. I can see right away you have the right attitude for a career in teaching.

20. SoCal2NYC

Also...who even makes eye contact with the bank tellers?