• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lil Ole Me

Reaction score
OK So I always had proturding ears. I got picked on alot as a child and even some when I was older. ...(I am only 30 now, but you get the point) I couldn't afford surgery and wanted desperately to get my ears pinned back. I have very thick long hair and I was having to wear it down all the time. What I did was to pierce the top of both ears. In one ear, I wore the smallest earring I could find which was barely noticable, that way no one asked why I pierced both instead of the ever so popular, one! The backs for my earrings twist on so they don't come off so easy. I pulled a small piece of hair through the backs of the earrings and tied or clipped it to another piece. This would in turn pull my ears back. You can adjust how tight you want to pull the hair which in turn adjusts how much the ears pull toward your head. After you do this, you can pull a piece of hair behind your ears and no one will even notice what you have done...except for you! Good luck.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's one of the odder first posts ever, but the technique might be helpful to some. Careful not to tighten the hairs too much, or they eventually will be permanently damaged and lost.

Rangoe

Reaction score
Question - what is the recommended price range for the surgery?

My issue isn't that my ears protrude, but rather that they are huge. Even if you pin them back, you have enormous ears that are pinned back a bit, but the difference is minimal. You hear a lot of about ear pinning, but I don't even know if ear reduction is possible.

Any tips or insight would be much appreciated!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ears can be made smaller, but it's probably a bad idea except for large earlobes and unusually wide ridges. Ear pinning makes more than a "minimal" perceived difference in ear size. Hair style can affect the perception, too.

jvrooman

Reaction score
What is the cost of such a procedure? I'm guessing insurance did not pay as it was cosmetic?

filmjckets

Reaction score
Part of the splint is then taped back against his son's head to assist his ears to sit back. This approach apparently works quite well with young kids - I have heard (apocryphally) that it has about an 80% success rate. However, I think that it works best with children as their cartilage is still very soft. I don't know how well it would work with adults. Otoplasty sounds like quite a straightforward procedure - I think that it only requires day surgery, although you will have to go under general anaesthetic.
MhX8ndt

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otoplasty can be done in-office, with local anesthesia.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads