• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-Rule "Rules"

LeviMay

Reaction score
I generally will wear only white shirts in the evening, although I'm trying to break the habit, and enjoy some pattern at night. I know that's a "Real Rule", but up in rural Canada, if you're wearing something other than a TapOut shirt, you're over-dressed anyhow.

Only double cuffs with DB suits, although, again, I'm trying to wean myself off of this one.

After getting called on not having any BD shirts in the Pattern mixing thread, I've ordered a couple, and I'll try them out, but, up until now, have never owned one.

Also, I agree with a tie being required with a suit, but (semi-) optional with an odd jacket.

emptym

Reaction score
Pants: flat or single forward pleat. Off-seam pockets. If there are belt loops then a center back loop is a must and five total loops.

Shirts: No collar stays. Ideally shirts have no slot for them either, so the collar can be flipped when it gets threadbare on top. Box pleat for BD collar, side pleats for spread. All shirts w/ barrel cuffs, single button and no gauntlet button. French cuff for tux only.

Shoes: no cap-toed bluchers. (OK on boots though.) No tassels of any kind.

Belts: 1 1/8" except 1" for plaque buckled belts. Anything 1 1/4 wide or larger is for jeans only. Never anything over or 1 1/2. Very plain buckles, no metal keepers.

I think I'm pretty open when it comes to ties and jackets, but I do have preferences.

I actually like black, wingtip gunboats with khakis :confused:

I wonder if this depends on one's hair/skin color. I wear black shoes w/ khakis and think it looks good in part bec. of my black hair and olive complexion.

Navy trousers are objectively wrong.
I don't own a navy shirt and don't think I ever would but I do have a navy sweater and a sort of cotton pullover that are OK.
re: suits without ties, the only time I do this is when I am travelling and I don't want to pack the suit and I don't want to bother with a tie. Makes me feel vaguely sketchy, like a pick up artist, mobster, or professional con man.

How about air force blue?

What if the belt is built into the trouser? Boom!

Interesting.

I know that this is anathema to you, but sometimes I like to look slightly sketchy - especially if I'm wearing a suit - like Tom Cruise's contract killer in Collateral...

Sometimes? Did you just say "sometimes"?

Last edited:

Big Bird

Reaction score
Navy socks with everything.
Never wear BDs with suits.
Never wear shirts with breast pockets with suits.
And I would never wear a tie with a BD.
I try to not complicate things; two solids and one pattern.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like BDs with tradly or casual suits, flannels and linens and such. I can't remember the last time I did it with worsted.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Im trying to stick to only two patterns lately, though I have been giving thought that texture is actually a pattern.

Example :
de43e749.jpg

Here, I wore only two patterns, the shirt and square, however I think the knit texture of the tie acted as a pattern and I felt a bit too busy with it.

johanm

Reaction score
gonna sound like a contrarian here but...

- only french cuff with dress shirts; I spec the cuffs to be slim with the hole closer to the edge, so they're not conspicuous / clunky
- no BD collar on dress shirts; only soft semi spread
- only black oxfords with suits
- no shoulder padding in jackets
- no striped ties
- no pocket squares

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only black or midnight blue shoes at night.

If i'm wearing a tie at night it is navy.

no belt ever. No loafers ever.

Oh, and the only shoes that ever get a spit shine are black. Brown spit polished shoes look weird to me, especially if they have some antiquing.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didn't mean it as a bad thing, i like it and have a similar margiela blazer, except it's a very very light blue. wrinkles like that and is a cotton/viscose/rayon blend. I mainly wear it over tshirts though (i shouldn't say that around here I know) as it's completely unstructured and unlined and feels more like a shirt than a blazer

Last edited:

Calder

Reaction score
Im trying to stick to only two patterns lately, though I have been giving thought that texture is actually a pattern.
Example :
de43e749.jpg

Here, I wore only two patterns, the shirt and square, however I think the knit texture of the tie acted as a pattern and I felt a bit too busy with it.
Isn't this an example of the scale of the pattern/texture being too similar?

Balfour

Reaction score
Well, I suppose I should have added another personal rule.
5) A suit always requires a tie.
But I think that this is an actual rule even though it is regularly violated by style icons like Ahmadinejad.

Given my limited standing here, I wouldn't presume to promulgate my own non-rule rules. But I heartily agree with this. Unfortunately, this look is very common in the UK. It is the dress down option of choice for middle-management. Tie-less odd jacket, yes. Tie-less suit, not for me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads