1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Non Iron Slim Fit Dress Pants - Do they exist?!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kappuccino, May 6, 2012.

1. Kappuccino

Kappuccino Member

I'm having a hard time searching for this beast for the past 6 months.

The criteria are:
    - Non Iron/Wrinkle Free (doesn't have to be "absolute" wrinkle free, but you know what I mean)
    - Machine Washable
    - Slim Fit

Most of the stuff in the market is generally "choose 2 of the above".
    Zara - Non Iron, machine washable, but more of a regular fit, even on their slimmest models.
    Banana Republic - Slim Fit models are really nice, but all these decent models are usually wool and needs to be dry cleaned.
    Express Photographer Pants - Good fit, machine washable, but cheap quality and wrinkles like hell.
    Bonobos Weekday Warriors - Not as slim, but decent fit. Reviews mainly positive, though mixed on certain models.
    Perry Ellis (and similar brands) - Machine Washable, almost no wrinkles, but baggy as !@#$. I currently own two pairs, and they're still baggy even after I altered them at the tailor. Can't take in any more since the side pockets would just flare out like mad.

Shirt wise I finally settled down on Brooks Brothers MTM Non-Iron Shirts, but pants, I'm still having no luck.
    My shirts are very fit, but my bottoms are just too baggy compared. I look like a clown.

Any ideas?

2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

just wear wool pants and have them cleaned every once and a while?

Some good wool pants will hold their crease and remain wrinkle free for many wearings (unlike cotton) so you don't really need to clean them all that often to keep them looking sharp.

3. sns23

sns23 Well-Known Member

You can get pants tailored.

4. Kappuccino

Kappuccino Member

Dry cleaning is really not considered an option for me.
    If I had done so, I wouldn't have this dilemma :p

Yes, but where?
    I live in Calgary, Canada, and there really aren't that many options in this city. The very limited amount of tailors here either offer very traditional cuts, or don't even carry any sort of non-Iron machine washable fabric in the first place.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  5. ManCrush

ManCrush Well-Known Member

6. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

Brooks brothers

7. Kappuccino

Kappuccino Member

Thanks for the recommendation, but seems like those shirts won't fit me. My measurements are 16" neck, 40" chest, and 33" waist. One of the main reason I had to go MTM since almost nothing OTR would fit me.

Any input on the pants?

8. sns23

sns23 Well-Known Member

Step 1: Buy pants
    Step 2: Get pant legs slimmed at tailor.

9. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I know you have an aversion to them...but dry cleaners.
    Some are far better than others when it comes to simple alterations....so don't take all your pants at once.

10. Kappuccino

Kappuccino Member

Really? They offer pants too? I would cringe so hard if they do. I know they do shirts and suits, but wasn't aware they do stand alone pants. I'm also not too knowledgeable with their cuts and fabrics offered. I guess I'll have to phone them up on Monday and ask.

That's what I did for the two pants I currently own as mentioned in the OP. Like I said, they're still baggy. There is only so much you can do by altering the pants. For minor alterations, I'd agree, but if the original cut isn't great, you can't just magically transform them into something else without re-cutting the entire thing.

11. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers milano fit "advantage chinos" are not Non-Iron, but are my most wrinkle-resistant chinos. I think you'll like them.

12. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

I thought that anyone who cared enough about clothes to prefer a slim fit would be against noniron.

13. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

Skinny dudes are lazy, too.

14. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

brooks brothers standard advantage chinos are quite wrinkle resistant
    i believe occasionally they also have wrinkle-resistant advantage chinos

lands end has many wrinkle resistant pants in "tailored fit". the twill is standard weight and has a nice finish. their tailored fit is equivalent to brooks' Clark cut. keep in mind "slim" is a relative term.

mutually exclusive

15. Frankie22

Milano fit.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=492

16. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

I would second the idea of BB Milano. They also have a few pairs with some stretch (Lycra) in them that should hold their shape very well. Theory also does some cotton/stretch pants but they'll be more expensive and personally I've always found the fit a little weird.

As to the shirts, your measurements mirror mine almost exactly and I just ordered some of the CT tailored fit shirts after trying them in the NY store. So far they seem to be one of the better OTR fits for me, in addition to RLBL and some of Barney's house brand stuff.

17. Frankie22

Plenty of OTR shirts will fit you. I have pretty much the same measurements as you (waist is one inch smaller) and Thomas Pink slim fits, fit fine (among many other brands). Buy them on deal and they are a good buy

Plus, you can get button down shirts tailored for ten bucks a crack. I've done both and the MT stuff looks maybe 1% better unless its being done by a high end tailor or brand, which is probably note the case here.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

This woud be by recommendation. Btw, I wash and wear mine, ironing isn't needed.

19. Kappuccino

Kappuccino Member

Ah, never heard of Thomas Pink before. What other brands do you have in mind for shirts? I'm in a rapid process of trimming down. Hopefully I'll hit 32" waist in a month.

Also, thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like a lot of people are suggesting the Milano Chinos from BB. I'm not sure how dressy they are, but I'll definitely go take a look when I pick up my shirts later this week.

As a side note, my office dress code is business casual, just shirt and tie.

20. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

The Milano chinos sound fine. Personally, I'd look to swap the tie for a sport coat; a tie without a jacket always looked like what guys wore to homecoming in high school. It looks a lot better to do a jacket sans tie than a tie sans jacket (unless the tie is being worn casually as an accessory).