1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Non-Iron shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Composer_1777, Mar 12, 2009.

1. overdog

overdog Well-Known Member

I'd second BB slim fit non-iron as well. It fits slimmer than my Nordstrom tailored fit and the fabric on my oldest one (probably close to 30 washes) has yet to lose its non-iron qualities. If you steer clear of the BB non-iron pinpoint oxfords, the fabric is actually pretty soft.

2. Shoe City Thinker

Shoe City Thinker Well-Known Member

They're surprisingly decent. I still prefer to send my better shirts to the cleaners. But it's nice to have a few non-iron shirts in the closet in the event that you need a dress shirt and all your regular shirts at the laundry.

3. ThaAmericanDream

ThaAmericanDream Member

Does anyone else have a BB Non-Iron Slim Fit BrooksCoolÂ[​IMG] Dress Shirt?

Their website claims they are lighter weight and more breathable.

4. effang

effang Well-Known Member

we're all wearing cotton, or cotton blends. what exactly does breath ability mean in this instance? it's not like the material is man-made or anything.

5. throwouttheiron

throwouttheiron New Member

Campaign to abolish ironing (CAI):

Below is an extract from Charles Tyrwhitt's website, and I vouch for it. I wrote to them a few years ago complaining that they didn't have enough non-iron stuff. Maybe I influenced them a little - but there still are not enough colours. Try finding a lemon or yellow 100% cotton non iron shirt, anywhere in the world! Nordstrom have one by Calvin Klein - that's it.

Non iron shirts probably haven't caught on because of lying propaganda that says they have chemicals in them. If there were chemicals that could affect your skin on contact they would wash out in the first wash. Your deodorant has chemicals in it that go right into your pores and are probably slowly killing you. I refuse to iron so since I got married the only shirts my husband buys are non iron and 100% cotton. They look and feel lovely. Use a slow spin. Even if they look a bit creased initially when you put them on your body heat makes the creases fall out and you look smart all day long. Men who insist on shirts that take half an hour to iron are selfish (unless they are sending them out for cleaning) because it's not usually they that have to iron them and it's the worst job on earth. How many times has a girlfriend you're out with said to you: "I must get back I have a huge pile of ironing to do". And it's usually when the sun is shining - that's when people get all into laundry. Hey, life is too short! And dragging the ironing board and iron out and in is a dog. If you have a laundry room where it's permanently out that's not quite so bad, but even then - fiddling around with collars and double cuffs trying to line up button holes and stuff like that - no way - it's not for me. Life is too short for self-imposed slavery. And if you can afford to send all your clothes to the cleaners, fine, but they won't last as long.

You know what it is; I've figured it: It's snobbery. Men want you to think they are superior because they have a "proper" shirt - all cotton, ironed by a slave. But they're out of date. If you have to be smart at least don't look as if you have worked at it.

Over to CT before I get too mad:

A non-iron shirt still should feel soft and lovely

Unlike the non-iron fabric of old, proper non-iron shirt fabric should be made of 100% two-ply cotton so it feels as comfortable as regular shirt fabric. That means it should not contain any man-made fibres such as polyester (a shirt should never sparkle suspiciously in the sun thank you very much) and so should feel luxuriously soft against the skin.
    The non-iron magic

The 'non-iron magic' in proper non-iron shirts doesn't come from the fibres themselves, but from the special treating process which involves subjecting the finished shirt to high temperatures. This ensures that when the shirt is hung up to dry after washing, it stays remarkably crease-free. Of course, there are other non-iron shirts on the market that have been treated using additives that make the shirts feel, and look like, cheap-as-chips nylon. If a non-iron shirt doesn't feel as smooth as cotton, we say avoid it like the plague.

6. XFactor

XFactor Well-Known Member

I get it. I am a single man and I do not enjoy or have time for ironing.

For all the rant about hating ironing,you have not made any CLEAR recommendations on which shirts/ brands etc work well and are priced right as per you.

7. Hiras Fashion

Hiras Fashion Well-Known Member

Choose 100% cotton fabrics that are easy care fabrics which are wrinkle-free and should be non-iron.

8. jt10000

jt10000 Well-Known Member

Not my experience.

Nor mine.

I suspect that when non-iron shirts started, they were worse in feel and breathability, etc. but are better now. This allows the snobs to perpetuate the idea that they are bad. Maybe some still are, but I have non-iron shirts from Brooks Brothers and Land's End I like a lot. For important uses I'll sometimes still iron a bit - particularly the collars.

9. throwouttheiron

We've got good ones from Charles Tyrwhitt, Lands End, M&S and others. As long as they are 100% cotton they seem to be fine. I even got some really cheap on Ebay - ex M&S stock without the labels. They were superb. Lands End do good reductions in their sales, so I stock up when they're cheap.

10. XFactor

What kind of price points are you getting these for?
    At normal and in sales and on Ebay?
    Some ideas would be nice on brand/ model / how/ when / price points you made the acquisitions would be nice to know.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  11. Kroaker

Kroaker Well-Known Member

Now is a good time to stock up on Brooks Bros non-iron shirts during their big sale. If you buy 4 or more, it runs about $53 per shirt.

12. throwouttheiron

I forget now since its a while since I bought any. M&S shirts are about £30 in the shop. Without labels on Ebay they're about £12.00. I just google "100% cotton, non iron shirt".

13. ogredave

ogredave Member

Brooks Bros non-iron slim cost me roughly $20-24 shipped.

14. Kroaker

Kroaker Well-Known Member

Well, aren't you special? Care to elaborate?

15. ogredave

ogredave Member

Sorry, I forgot to specify on eBay. I think he's trying to figure out a ballpark price. Can also be done by searching completed auctions..

I should have quoted XFactor:

16. ogredave

ogredave Member

I forgot to specify eBay purchases.. sounded like XFactor wanted an idea of what's a fair price.

Had a longer response but the system ate it (new member, post has to be reviewed, etc.) ..

17. XFactor

Thank you. I am starting a little low on budget now so I wouldnt mind find the right deal for them.

I do prefer the SLIM-FIT Non-Irons. Just that usually they are expensive and not sure which ones are best VALUE for the $$

Any suggestions on how I could/ should about looking for them on Ebay and weed out the right ones etc.

If you cant post here please PM my Inbox (if there is one on these forums).

18. ogredave

ogredave Member

I suggest local thrift stores and/or eBay if on a budget. I think BB and CT are probably among the better values but BB is easier to find and doesn't shrink like CT does. I also like Nordstrom Smartcare or John Nordstrom lines, but look for the newer tags. The old ones run larger.

I usually search my size minus the combo size and minus brands I dont want. IE:
    16 32 -33 -french -van -arrow

Explanation: I don't want 32/33, I want 32 length only. I also don't want Van Heusen or Arrow and so on. Adjust to suit your needs, maybe even setup a saved search. Finally, I would be patient if on a budget. Good luck :)

19. jt10000

jt10000 Well-Known Member

For cheap shirts, Land's End on sale is pretty good if they fit you. See if you can sign up for their mailing list to get their discount codes. Don't ever buy their stuff at full price. You should be able to get dress shirts for around $30 or less from them that way.

The fit can be a little blousy. I'm 160 pounts, 38 suit jacket, 32" or 33" waist, and 15.5" neck and their 15.5" neck "trim fit" shirts are a little loose on my body. Tolerable under a jacket, but not my favorite.

For a few shirts I've bought with no intention of wearing a tie or buttoning the top button, the 15" neck shirts fit me just right. YMMV.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  20. PaaPanf

PaaPanf Active Member

My preference is definitely 100% cotton. Once your used to it it takes less than a minute a shirt. You can also iron damp shirts to save drying time if needed.

I have tired a few Iron-free shirts in the past. First one was a Brookes Brother shirt (the famous iron free shirt) and I can't stand it in the summer. It's just not as breathable as cotton. Wore it once for an interview and ended up having to buy a new shirt downtown. Sweat stains within an hour.

As for the feel of the shirt. They don't feel as nice as cotton but its not to bad. I forget about it in a matter of minutes after putting it on. Its not like its course or anything. Just doesn't feel like cotton.

-Felix