1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

nogushi or MVDR?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Luc-Emmanuel, May 29, 2006.

1. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Maybe. I have two louis XV cabriolets from grandma's appartment I have never used. With a contemporary fabric, they could be interesting. !luc
    I lke the idea very much, but then I think I'd prefer the even greater contrast, and go with the rococo chairs and the Mies table. Some subdued Fornasetti-like fabrics could be good on the chairs, I suppose.

2. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

I lke the idea very much, but then I think I'd prefer the even greater contrast, and go with the rococo chairs and the Mies table.

Some subdued Fornasetti-like fabrics could be good on the chairs, I suppose.

Yes, the idea is somehow interesting, but it's hard to take a shot in the dark, especially at this price. I'll see.

!luc

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

george nelson coconut chair: [​IMG]

4. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

LS, I've been scouring this design24 site and it is seriously testing my self control. Do you have any similar sites for other periods or aesthetics? I'm amazed that their stuff is generally half of what DWR charges.

Thanks
    Tom

Try this Henry van der Velde chair:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ke/Kessler.jpg

Or the Hoffmann "Kubus" series:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...fmann_Sofa.jpg

This place sells knockoffs (unlicensed, I think): http://www.classic-design24.com/

5. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

LS, I've been scouring this design24 site and it is seriously testing my self control. Do you have any similar sites for other periods or aesthetics? I'm amazed that their stuff is generally half of what DWR charges. Thanks Tom
    As I said, I think this is all unlicensed production - what may well be termed "fake", as far as the rights still really belong to companies like Cassina, Knoll, Vitra etc. On the other hand, what I've seen of newer knockoffs are very often well made, though. What periods or aesthetics were you thinking of? Genuine antiques can often be cheaper than most people think.

6. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

As I said, I think this is all unlicensed production - what may well be termed "fake", as far as the rights still really belong to companies like Cassina, Knoll, Vitra etc. On the other hand, what I've seen of newer knockoffs are very often well made, though.

What periods or aesthetics were you thinking of?

Genuine antiques can often be cheaper than most people think.

I wish I knew what I were looking for...

How much cheaper than people think? And requiring how much extra effort to locate? Where would be a good place to begin? For instance, I really dig this chair as a whimsical accent:

[​IMG]

edit: various other modes I think I like are Art Deco, traditional SE Asian/S Pacific, and more modern P Starke/Branchini type aesthetics. Is that coherent at all? I'm basically starting from scratch; I have a nylon folding chair as the second easy chair in my living room. [​IMG]

7. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

Take time to do your homework. Read up and try before you buy. If there is a place to actually sit in some of these first, do so. I'm not one to knock the great designs of the 20th century, but some are not user friendly if you're planning to watch a long movie in them. Some I thought looked great and were just flat out uncomfortable.

Thumb through ElleDecor, Domino, Wallpaper etc. All those magazines will have reatil or ordering options. Also, meet up with a local interior designer, they will definately know some shortcuts and options.

As far as the quality goes, I've owned several knock offs and they have proved durable.

8. faustian bargain

haven't sat in one, but i imagine this as being one of the examples of the above-described phenomenon:

[​IMG]
    Gerrit Rietveld's Rood-Bauwe Stoel. You can even get plans for it and build it yourself.

9. Luc-Emmanuel

Regarding knockoffs, licensing doesn't work the same in italy & spain vs the rest of the (civilized) world. It has to do with the intellectual property of plans (which are public domain by now for most bauhaus stuff) or something like that. Someone well versed in the subject cold chime in and tell us about it.
    Anyway, you have to be careful when picking up these "fakes" (by french laws at least) but you should know most of the stuff sold by cassina is actually made by these small industries in italy. So, if you know who is making these pieces and can buy direct, you have the same quality as cassina's for half the price, minus the little authenticity stamp hidden under the arm of the chair [​IMG]
    Sometime, it's even better to buy direct from them for Knoll owned designs, because Knoll is really shit quality...

!luc

10. Luc-Emmanuel

So, today I was waiting in some private banking lounge, and they had one noguchi coffee table. Being alone, I had ample time to tinker with the product, and while truly a wonderful piece, I found it not to be stable enough especially with a young child in the apartment. It truly saddens me as this is a wonderful piece of design. [​IMG] I have ordered the cyclone dining table instead which I will furnish with eames red DSR chairs. !luc

11. faustian bargain

i just saw a local shop here selling knockoffs of the table, as well as some mies-like end tables. the faux-guchi was, like, $800 or something.

12. summej2

summej2 Well-Known Member

So, today I was waiting in some private banking lounge, and they had one noguchi coffee table. Being alone, I had ample time to tinker with the product, and while truly a wonderful piece, I found it not to be stable enough especially with a young child in the apartment.

I was worried about that given our 50 lb dog and her tendancy to stott (leap 2 feet into the air from a stand still), but her efforts have yet to shatter the table. When set up properly (with the base at just the right angle and the top set on just so) the whole assembly is quite stable.

13. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

I was worried about that given our 50 lb dog and her tendancy to stott (leap 2 feet into the air from a stand still), but her efforts have yet to shatter the table. When set up properly (with the base at just the right angle and the top set on just so) the whole assembly is quite stable.

yeah, I thought the glass was quite thick on the Noguchi?

14. summej2

summej2 Well-Known Member

yeah, I thought the glass was quite thick on the Noguchi?

Yes, either 3/4 " or 5/8" tempered glass. It's quite heavy and, as it is tempered, if it shatters the entire sheet shatters. It really is quite high-quality glass though, deep green when viewed from the edge.