1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Noguchi Coffee Table: Reproductions vs. Originals, Quality, Specifications, Copyright.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Apr 4, 2012.

1. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Dude, your place is awesome. My only advice is don't try to shoehorn something into the space b/c it is "good." Noguchi is cool and all but I'm not sure it fits the vibe. If you want to get away from the heavy/cluby feeling I might throw in some Oriental Shabby Romantic vibe. Think Label King meets Alister Crowley.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

I remember this room from an earlier post you made - it's going to look splendid. The gallery/balcony space is just made for hanging paintings.

I think the Noguchi table will work well, a bit of classic modernism can break up any "igent's library" associations. On that note - are you sure about the chesterfield sofa? Check out the Kubus series, designed by Hoffmann. Same funcion and comfort as a trad chesterfield, but slightly more modern-looking and less bulbuous. I think Wittmann makes the "originals" at about $12K for a three-seater, but the copyright has certainly expired, and I've seen some very good Kubus models from other makers.

The Kubus is my holy grail of sofas, so far I've missed out on two Wittmann Kubuses at auction, one by being too slow, and the other one went far beyond my budget and what's reasonable. We ended up with this "Vanity Fair" thing from Poltrona Frau (photo from the auction site):

[​IMG]

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I like the chesterfield, but I'm not seeing the rug or the table.

I think the setting sets a tone that the piano works well with ( black or rosewood?). I would be tempted to put a black leather LC3 armchair on the right, with a Barcelona coffee table and a slim armed, metal leg sofa. Alternatively I think it's a nice space for an Eames Lounge and Ottoman if you want an iconic peice. I would face the sofa to the fireplace.

Awesome space Douglas.

Just my opinion...

4. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Well-Known Member

it's really not that big, in fact in your space (aside from the architectural style) it would be too small of scale imho
    imo you'ld be better served by something larger and more style compatible

my home is a mid-century modern design built by a local architect for himself, my Noguchi (white ash) fits right in with a Jetsons atomic ranch theme, lol

your place is great, immense potential
    buy carefully and slowly, no rush...sometimes people go overboard with too much stuff and it looks cluttered
    quality > quantity

buy something, live with it, and then determine what fits next
    you will make some bad choices (like clothes at the back of the closet) that you will re-do, it's 1/2 the fun, enjoy

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012