1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

No Visa/MC at NM?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rdawson808, Jul 16, 2006.

1. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

The interest rate is 21%! Why not just fly to Nice and shop in Monte Carlo?

2. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Do that many people carry a balance?

I think the assumption for NM is that the majority of their customers do not. If you have the money you can pay it off every month.

b

3. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

I had a NM Credit Card. I cut it up and closed the account.
    If someone had stolen and used that card, it would have tabbed up pretty quickly. (but they would have some gorgeous merchandise though)[​IMG]

4. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

The interest rate is 21%! Why not just fly to Nice and shop in Monte Carlo?

LOL! No kidding.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I'm told that if you are from another country you can use your international MC/Visa.

I'm pretty sure (95%) I've bought items from NM while on vacation in the US and I don't carry AMEX any more (not enough places take it in the UK), so I must have paid by VISA.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I'm sure the NM card has ridiculous interest rates. I always pay that card off in one or two payments max. But I never have more than $500 on it at most.

In a way I like that they don't take Visa, it helps curb my spending there knowing I have to use the NM card.

7. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

It is all branding. No real big deal IMO.

8. j

j Well-Known Member

The rich pay for everything using cash.

9. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

One nice perk of having NM card is to get additional 5% off on all purchases at NM Last Call stores.

10. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

That's a little annoying. I keep an AmEx for use at the few restaurants which only accept it. Who wants to carry that much cash?

11. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Well-Known Member

i'm not hugely rich or anything, but both my parents are both marketing majors, anyway . . . i asked my mother about this and her answer was

'to be completely honest, its too keep the riff raff out. poor people can't afford amex.'

. . . she's so tactful

12. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

One nice perk of having NM card is to get additional 5% off on all purchases at NM Last Call stores.

This is the one and only reason I have a NM card. The balance gets paid off every month.

13. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

i'm not hugely rich or anything, but both my parents are both marketing majors, anyway . . . i asked my mother about this and her answer was

'to be completely honest, its too keep the riff raff out. poor people can't afford amex.'

. . . she's so tactful

Well, nowadays Neimans does take Optima, the cheapo Amex...

14. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Yes, apparently that is their policy. Recall the infamous Kalra thread.

Am I the only one that is getting all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about that thread???

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php...+Express+Black

[​IMG]

15. rajesh06

rajesh06 Well-Known Member

Diner's recently became a Visa, so NM does not take it. More other places do however,

Well actually Diner's Club became a Mastercard - or more accurately use the Matercard system. I have both (Gold) Amex and DC - DC customer service is head and shoulders above Amex. Also the credit check that DC goes through is far more rigourous than Amex. DC actually called my employer to confirmn what I made.

NM's official reason is related to the policies on privacy between Amex and MC/Visa.

16. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Well, I hate to think of her marketing grades in college. I can't begin to count the number of (unemployed) college students that got Amex's when I was in school. AMEX almost puts a gun to your head to take it. And yes, I know that future college grads seem like a good base to tap into, unfortunately most of those kids went "belly up" in debt before they even left school and AMEX was left holding the bag. Also, to say that only the riff raff carry Mastercard and Visa is, quite frankly, stupid. Amex charges higher fees to both the customer and the business. If you are smart with your money (as either a business or consumer), you wouldn't have an AMEX as there are cheaper alternatives. AMEX's pitch is one of prestige, but I don't need a green/gold/black card to make me feel prestigious if I am spending a couple of thousand in a store. BTW, NM also own Bergdorf's and Bergdorf's, which is no less prestigious, takes whatever the hell you want to pay them with. I happily and proudly use my cheap looking debit Mastercard whenever I shop and those stores that don't take it don't get my business. I will admit to having a BG card which my wife uses at Neiman's [​IMG]

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I think the assumption for NM is that the majority of their customers do not. If you have the money you can pay it off every month.

b

I could be totally wrong, but I'd assume the opposite. I can attest from personal experience (on the wrong end) that the fact that someone can afford to pay their bills on time doesn't mean that they actually do. Plus, many folks who have a lot of money - or at least like to appear as though they do - may nevertheless have short-term cash flow issues. I would think NM's assumption is that at least some percentage of their customers will carry a balance, the interest on which will go into NM's pockets instead of those of the Visa/MC issuers'.

18. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

I have had an AMEX Blue in the past, now have an AMEX Blue again. Never use it. I am constanly getting letters from AMEX to "upgrade" to one of their "big boy" cards but I'll be damned if I do that. Crappy rewards and yearly membership fees? Screw that. I use my Amazon.com VISA instead. Much more practical and the rewards structure is better.
    I really think that NM is being shortsighted but I am not their targetted consumer for sure. I refuse to pay full retail for many of the things they have (3k for an Isaia Napoli is far too much, even if it fits nicely).

19. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

And I always thought it was the four-figure price tags :p

20. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

And I always thought it was the four-figure price tags :p

[​IMG]