1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

No Purchase Club (January -AND- February 2011)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MyOtherLife, Jan 3, 2011.

1. stillerfan07

stillerfan07 Well-Known Member

Now you are just taunting the poor guys. [​IMG]

Dear No-Purchasers,

Thank you for not purchasing anything recently. Your lack of competition on ebay and B&S items have resulted in a bountiful harvest at rock bottom prices for the rest of us.

Sincerely,

Harvey

xoxo

2. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Well-Known Member

Dear No-Purchasers,

Thank you for not purchasing anything recently. Your lack of competition on ebay and B&S items have resulted in a bountiful harvest at rock bottom prices for the rest of us.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Geoff Gander

I have sinned. I passed by a vintage clothing shop, and went in. Bad move number one. <snip rest>
    Thought I'd post photos of the instrument of my downfall: [​IMG] [​IMG] No idea who made them, or where, but the size is "9 91/2 E" and they fit more like a D. The serial number is 8801 63 804 - does anyone know how I could find out the maker?

4. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Well-Known Member

still going strong. Sold a bunch of pocket squares. That's it.

Although it is starting to get a bit cold and I don't own a jacket. And I am getting a bit sick but I think it has more to do with all the studying for finals.

5. TRA8324

TRA8324 Well-Known Member

Some inspiration for you all...this girl loves clothes and is pretty fashionable so if she can do it for a whole year, I think you guys can manage a couple months.

[​IMG]

6. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Is there going to be a March-April No Purchase Club? There are a couple things I'm still planning on picking up in the next couple weeks, but once March starts, I'm ready to enter my name into the NPC.

7. Geoff Gander

Go for it. It nothing else, it forced me to really think about where my money goes.

Although, I do think the next iteration should grade penalties according to number of violations and the size of said violations. Buying a $15 pocket square is nowhere near in the same league as snatching a pair of Peals on sale.

8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Go for it. It nothing else, it forced me to really think about where my money goes.

Although, I do think the next iteration should grade penalties according to number of violations and the size of said violations. Buying a $15 pocket square is nowhere near in the same league as snatching a pair of Peals on sale.

Agreed...and I'm definitely in once March starts, which means I have 11 days to finalize any purchases I've been considering.

9. Egert

Egert Well-Known Member

What would be the projected pass ratio on this one? [​IMG]

Anyway, what first seemed impossible has now got me thinking (after checking my account history) that I should join, should there be a MAR-APR one.

10. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Well-Known Member

Looks like I fell off the wagon already. Gosh it's been only 10 days, it felt like 2 months to me.

11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

-1 bought a pair of AEs on B&amp;S
    +3 Sold three shirts on B&amp;S

For me, the issue isn't so much the money (I'm still ahead based on earlier transactions) but getting stuff out of my closets!

12. tone76

tone76 Well-Known Member

I got a job offer yesterday. It's going to take me all my energy not to buy a decent pair of shoes between now and March 1. But I can't go and blow my NPC pledge with 10 days left to go. I'm even reluctant to go and get my current suits altered before March 1, even though I've lost approximately 20lbs since I lost my old job. [​IMG] How are some of the other quieter members of NPC going? I know a few have stepped into the NPC Confessional, but it seems like a lot have been able to go the distance (so far) without cracking.

13. Gong Tao

Gong Tao Well-Known Member

I'm out.

Have not spent any money really ($8.50 on thrifted ties) but I am definitely not in abstinence mode any more and I'm going to buy whatever I want to between now and the end of February.

14. ITGER

ITGER Active Member

I'm out too. Maybe next time I'll actually make it through the whole two months [​IMG]

15. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Is there going to be a March-April No Purchase Club? There are a couple things I'm still planning on picking up in the next couple weeks, but once March starts, I'm ready to enter my name into the NPC.

There will be a March club. (2 months in a row has been too hard on the weak.)
    March signups will commence on the 26th of Feb.

16. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I should have been in, haven't bought any clothing that I recall since December.

17. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

I am for sure putting my name in for March - August. The earthquake in NZ has hit my interests hard. Just today, a very close relative has asked for a loan in the 5 digit figure. I'm just glad to see my family unharmed but it's been very solemn moment for them and the country.

18. tone76

tone76 Well-Known Member

Forgive me NPC, for I have sinned.

Bought a pair of AE Charlestons from B&S. [​IMG] But I couldn't help it ... I needed a pair of dress shoes in my rotation that DIDN'T look like something I'd just stolen from a homeless person, and they were sofa king cheap ...

19. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Well-Known Member

We're almost there. But I think I'm going to extend my NPC period longer.

20. Imhoff

Imhoff Well-Known Member

^ +1

It has been refreshing this month. Only sinned a little bit (spent less than $20 entire month). My wallet appreciates it. And it motivated myself to clean out closet.

Here's to NPC March![​IMG]