1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

No Heroes in my back yard!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nonk, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I think the decrease in property values from the negative publicity would be worse than the POTENTIAL decrease in property value (emphasis on potential) that might happen from a house being purchased for wounded soldiers' families. That's totally ignoring the fact that the HOSPITAL where these soldiers are treated is already nearby, and the people will be in the vicinity regardless of whether they stay at the house, or not.

Wings, I think your comments are just ridiculous. I do live in a multimillion dollar house in one of the most expensive communities in the US (Newport Coast) and I wouldn't have a problem with them putting such a house in my neighborhood. I doubt I'm the only one on this forum in similar circumstances that feel the same, and I think if you polled my neighbors, they'd feel very much the same way as well. Your comments are way off base.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

This is the exact reason why the classes can't mix.

What class? The class you exhibit?

3. LabelKing

"At their level?" Are you fucking kidding me? If you think that every soldier comes from the slums of Manchester then you are an idiot. I really can't believe I just read this. You're a terrible person.
    In the past, didn't a good deal of British officers come from the upper classes? By upper classes, I don't mean some sort of middle-class confinement. As for soldiers' housing, I believe the aristocracy of England used to volunteer their houses or at least some of their houses for wounded soldiers. Being a "Florence Nightingale" was a big thing for the women of landed gentry whether as Christian charity or just keeping up appearances. Given that perspective, the "outrage" that these "upper-class" residents display is evidence of their own lacking.
    I doubt the fearful people who signed this petition have anything to worry about. I am not familiar with the British upper middle class but Im pretty darned familiar with their counterparts in Southern California. I dont know what kind of "high standard" these people are held to in Jolly Old England but here in the Southland the children of the affluent are frequently pampered and spoiled monstrosities with little regard for anything but their own desires. That these people would mature into the kind of selfish oafs who would be so solipsistic that they would be more concerned with the temporary dip in neighborhood housing prices than in helping, however minimally, their own country's severely wounded veterans wouldnt come as that much of a surprise. As a youth I have lived on military bases and in upper middle class enclaves. You are safer in military housing. If you are going to be worried about something, worry about the house painters you have left unattended in the front room or the next door neighbors teenager with a penchant for coke and jagermiester who just got a porsche and a drivers license for his 16th birthday .
    Chavs?

4. lakewolf

lakewolf Well-Known Member

Wow,

Claire,

This is the worst I have read on an internet forum...

and after that debate we were having about elitism and a-hollery in SF, this is the jewel of the Crown !

5. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Thank God there are no cripples or retards in the upper class. Big round of applause to science for discovering mutation-free reproduction, thus saving wealthy neighborhoods from the embarrassment of handicap spaces, wheelchair-accessible curbs, and all those gaudy blue signs.

I have to agree with Claire on gimps bringing surrounding property values down. Larry Flynt, for example, turned his block in Santa Monica into an absolute fucking slum. At least his golden wheelchair is tasteful.

6. CoryB

CoryB Well-Known Member

I rarely venture into the CE forums, but this title grabbed my attention. Firstly, let me state that I have the utmost respect for the military, including those of opposing forces fighting for their own country; for example, I equally respect Germans (not Nazis) fighting for their countries as I do my fellow countrymen during WWII.

I think you Claire are amongst the most disgusting people that I have "met." I say this as the strongest supporter of free-market capitalism. Join Phelps protesting funerals as you are equally disgusting.

7. LabelKing

Thank God there are no cripples or retards in the upper class. Big round of applause to science for discovering mutation-free reproduction, thus saving wealthy neighborhoods from the embarrassment of handicap spaces, wheelchair-accessible curbs, and all those gaudy blue signs.

I have to agree with Claire on gimps bringing surrounding property values down. Larry Flynt, for example, turned his block in Santa Monica into an absolute fucking slum. At least his golden wheelchair is tasteful.

Larry Flynt seems like an entertaining man.

8. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

What class? The class you exhibit?
    Bravo.

Larry Flynt seems like an entertaining man.
    He really is. He spoke at a class of mine about two years ago in which we screened "The People vs. Larry Flynt" before a Q&A with him and yes, his wheelchair really is golden. Someone asked his policy on photographing women with implants and his reply was, "I've always believed that anything more than a mouthful is simply excess."

He signed a copy of "Hustler" for me, but as Claire has so graciously pointed out, its value is diminished because it was signed by a cripple in a wheelchair who had to use a ramp to get to the stage. [​IMG]

9. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Wow, Claire, thank you. You've unified the various wings and factions of the CE into agreement that you are either a repulsive human being or repulsively trolling us.

10. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

I live in a community where the houses rarely sell for less than $1M. We would be proud to have such an addition to our area. There are many retired servicemen locally, including an ex-Commander of the royal yacht. We raise money for causes such as this, but it will never be enough to repay the debt we owe to the people who fought and continue to fight for us.

If you think yourself above another human being just because you have more money than them, then you have lost your humanity. I pity people who think as you do, because you will never know any better. If your perception of self worth is tied to your (or your husbands) assets, then I hope you find yourselves bankrupt shortly, along with your morals. Shame on you.

Well said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.