• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No effs given... correctly

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny, I get the exact opposite impression.

Guy on the left doesn't seem hipster or wannabe at all. I get the impression that he's been wearing a trilby from way back. I don't especially like the outfit but, as Tirailleur pointed out, he did a heck of a job coordinating 7 (8 if you count the watch) shades of blue.

And everything fits well.

Which can't be said about Terrence Howard.

TH is more obvious / less subtle - those shoes, the waterfall pocketsquare. It wouldn't be bad if everything weren't too long but the guy on the left is still clearly the winner.

Exactly my view. The guy on the left is doing an amazing job with a deliberately restricted colour palette and the carefully chosen combination of conventional and slightly subversive elements works brilliantly. How anyone can see that hat with reference to 'hipsters' is beyond me. I suspect that guy has as much to do with hipsters as he does with Manton...

The guy on the right is certainly trying to reference the slightly oversize cuts of midcentury African-American clothing, but it's somehow both dull and overdone at the same time. He's trying to create interest with a variety of colours, and a nod to 'authenticity', but hasn't given much thought to how it all hangs together and the result is that it doesn't.

And both clearly give quite a lot of effs.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, thanks for being so cool about being vivisected.
The vest stays though (waistcoats are staple of my wardrobe, opinions be damned)
biggrin.gif
Let's get into this. Is it that you really like the look? Habit at this point? Some sort of personal branding? A nod to an older relative or friend?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What gives people a wannabe vibe on this one?

I assume that self actualization tends to increase with age, so I'm initially inclined to believe this is just how he rolls, and has rolled since before I was born.

And there are no obvious cries for attention. No accent colors or garish accessories or sprinkling with sprezzy dust.

But some people are seeing something else...

Sonny58

Reaction score
I think I see a little sprezzy dust on his vest. But that doesn't stop me from liking his look.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's the vest--specifically the wrinkly, linen-looking vest--and the hat.

FWIW, I like it far better than the other photo, but it does seem to have a bit of Pitti going on. The primary-color blue tie could also have something to with this though.

Sprezzy-dust is my new favorite #menswear term.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In defense of Foo's presence in this thread, if you're proselytizing, you go where the heathens are.

I hate analogies. They never really work.

I'll make an analogy.

I've learned a lot more about skiing by watching people go off piste / in glades. It's really not pretty skiing - no smooth fast sloloms, graceful arcs or well timed jumps - but it's much more impressive technically.

I think you can learn more generally by looking at things that are harder to do not-badly. You'll see me in 4 patterns exactly 0% of the time but I feel like it's well worthwhile to reverse engineer a TTO (as long as he doesn't mind).

I'm unclear about how this responds to what I was saying, but I agree with what you're saying (well, except for the analogies part...).

I just hate the vest on this. Wrong fabric.

But, like someone said above, plenty of ***** given.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, talking about no effs giving, does T1s Friday challenge outfit qualify?

I'm wondering whether this outfit would've worked in the standard SF robo-pose? This picture is a great example of the importance of the pose, as I discussed earlier in this thread with Stichy. It seems this combination just wouldn't work as well in real life, unless T1 walks around with his hands in his pockets like that all day long.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I see ***** being handed out like bake sale flyers all over the place.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What gives people a wannabe vibe on this one?

I assume that self actualization tends to increase with age, so I'm initially inclined to believe this is just how he rolls, and has rolled since before I was born.

And there are no obvious cries for attention. No accent colors or garish accessories or sprinkling with sprezzy dust.

But some people are seeing something else...

You don't wear 6+ shades of solid blue without giving at least six carefully concerted *****.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So, talking about no effs giving, does T1s Friday challenge outfit qualify?
I'm wondering whether this outfit would've worked in the standard SF robo-pose? This picture is a great example of the importance of the pose, as I discussed earlier in this thread with Stichy. It seems this combination just wouldn't work as well in real life, unless T1 walks around with his hands in his pockets like that all day long.
The shirt is a big **** on its own, no? I mean you have to go way out of your way to choose a shirt like that. To my mind, anything highly unusual or bold is intrinsically indicative of ****-giving.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Probably already been said, but I think not giving a **** is more like "I don't give a **** about XXXX rule/standard" than "I don't give a **** about what I wear."

I am starting to wonder if people on the mc side actually know what a hipster is or has seen one
Yeah, we totally do. upr_crust is one, right?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Probably already been said, but I think giving a **** is more like "I don't give a **** about XXXX rule" than "I don't give a **** about what I wear."

But giving a **** about breaking a rule implicitly means you give a **** about the rule. Rebellious teenagers, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads