1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

^ Thanks for the update on rott's shipping. I wonder why they stopped international shipping? It's a shame because they're sale prices have always been really good. I don't know if we've got any current Russian members who would proxy.

2. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Agreed, he shouldn't be "working in fashion", assuming that's what he's doing, and it does show a lack of research. Lack of respect? I wouldn't say that.

Yeah, prices are nice. I was even going to buy an item I already have. Looks like they're not going to carry Cabourn anymore though. Their inventory is from collections a year old or more.

3. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Well-Known Member

Any news on your parka?

Did 14oz have a 44 after all?

4. Emixam

Emixam Well-Known Member

[

funny, because I also purchased it in navy on sale in january 2013, and it has been seating in my parents home until now...I am coming home for Xmas and will have to try it after 2 long years.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  5. Grove

Grove Well-Known Member

I regret missing out on this one. IRL it looks better with the fur trim removed.

6. migsy999

migsy999 Well-Known Member

They have the 44 apparently. Should find out soon if it's not a massive crossing of wires.
    It's at my local depot. Whether Parcelforce come out on a Saturday is anyone's guess. Probably Monday now.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  7. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Well-Known Member

Missed out too. Always liked it

8. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Well-Known Member

migsy: I'm on this thread to discuss Cabourn.

I'm not against Cabourn per se, I have a lot admiration for anyone who have a unique vision and uncompromising approach to their craft, but I’m not a Fan Boy.

The point about that video is Nigel is asked a reasonable question and he doesn’t really have a compelling answer.

“Everything is special, RiRi Swiss army zip, real goose down, 93% pure down, 800 grams, very heavy down, real sheep collar, real coyote”.

None of those reasons warrant the inflated price. If I’d heard it takes 80+ hours of labor, through 16 unique processes, or the fabric is the finest silk hand weaved by Tibetan Monks then maybe we'd be getting somewhere.

Listen to the interview “what’s special about this Everest Parka is it’s a LIMITED EDITION” – if it’s a 'LIMITED EDITION' why was it reissued? It’s cynical and disingenuous.

Cabourn’s marketing and pricing strategies for the majority of his outwear is a disservice to the brand. The continual price hikes are not justified and defending the price of the Everest by making analogies to a Ferrari or Aston Martin is nonsensical.

1 person likes this.
  9. migsy999

I actually agree with most of your points Ike.

I tracked down an Atkinson from Limited Edition 2 and it cost me a fortune to import from Japan. Then I find the jacket repeated this season.
    The problem Cabourn has is making something limited edition then re-releasing it under his authentic range a year later. It leaves a slight bad taste if you've laid out hundreds a year previous on something you think is a one off.

But it wouldn't make sense for him to design something so gorgeous and never release it again. It's a double edged sword.

I respect your opinion and agree with most of it.
    I'm trying to justify to myself paying over grand for a coat. It's madness alright.

Logic disappears though with anything NC. I get all queasy and my wallet seems to open all by itself. I'd rather kick heroin than try not buying anything NC every season.

Another thing Is this years two different Everests. Why is the Ventile and oil cloth versions £500 difference?

They're identical as far as I know except for the shells? So by our long discussions on actual price to produce, it makes even less sense than before. There must be only a small difference in a few sq yards of Ventile and oil cloth in price.

Anyway, it's been fun. I'll know Monday if it's worth it. Maybe it's not, but I'll never have to look every AW and dream of owning one.
    I can't wait to unzip that RiRi and polish my toggles. They're real wood you know? :)

10. desolate

desolate Active Member

In answer to the question about the hand warmer pockets behind the main pockets on the Everest - they all have them.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. migsy999

Well I have the jacket and I'm a bit disappointed. No joke.

No down in the hood? Wtf. For £2500 you would've thought they'd add a bit of padding in there.
    It doesn't feel particularly thick anywhere. I'm hoping that's just the way it's designed and it's keeps the cold out.
    Underwhelmed might be the word. I'll only find out once the temperature drops I suppose.

Reassure me, anyone who owns one please. Eric come hither!

1 person likes this.
  12. gus49

gus49 Well-Known Member

Thats a handy to know [​IMG] for the money they should I guess.

cheers

13. gus49

gus49 Well-Known Member

If its any help I think your perception of what to expect was going to lead to some disappointment. I’ve done the same thing, buying something with such high expectations. You are always going to be underwhelmed. You only have The parka of choice.

14. migsy999

I love the look. Feels great on. I'm just worried about the warmth.
    I bought the coat mainly to keep me warm as Woorich didn't cut it.
    To be honest, this feels thinner. I'm hoping the quality of the fill is what sets it apart.
    I had it on for while with a jumper in the house and didn't feel excessively hot.

Is that because of it's breathability or I'm some sort of freak. It worries me.

15. PhilVo

PhilVo Well-Known Member

Re the hood: Completely agree, don't know why there is no padding.

Re the weight: My one is much thicker than a Woolrich... And it's definitely much warmer. Maybe this is a sizing issue. If you want more warmth, you need a Coastal Command... However, I only ever managed to wear it three times...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  16. migsy999

I don't really like the Coastal Command that much.
    Looks great on the Internet. I doubt I'd look good in it.

i can't even test the Everest. Once I cut the security tag I can't return it.
    I'm really assuming this is warm. Maybe the lightness is something to do with it. I has to be toasty.

17. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Well-Known Member

Have you got the massive sweater and beard to go with it?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. migsy999

Hah. Shaved most of my beard off. Have loads of sweaters and stuff.
    I'm sure it will be fine.

19. Phil McCrackin

Phil McCrackin Well-Known Member

I'm stunned you've paid £2500 for a coat you never tried on and test drived , your money mate , but fuck me ..

20. migsy999

I'm not fucking stupid. It makes no difference how I bought it. I can return it as long as the tags are in place.
    Of course I wouldn't blindly buy it if I didn't have the safety net of a return.

I don't regret buying at all. I'm just very surprised at the lightness of it. If it's as warm as everyone around here says it's truly worth it. I thought I'd be carrying around half a ton of down on my back. If this is as warm as they say, I'll be extremely happy. It feels lush on. I'd even think about getting another colour if it' turns out very warm and they have another 44.