1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. irbe

irbe Well-Known Member

Saw you jacket on ebay, such a nice piece. I would so bid on it if it was smaller

2. EARSLIKEAHAWK

EARSLIKEAHAWK Member

It was infact not a typo L27 is slightly less dense than L28, but where as L28 comes in a shorter width, L27 is produced in the wider width of 150cm+. It is not mentioned on the Ventile website because of the fact that it is an old reproduced fabric specifically for Nigel Cabourn.

On the subject of whether the Ventile is less clammy, having worn both versions for quite an extensive amount of time I would say yes it is a lot less clammy. Whereas the Mackintosh fabric has a very rigid rubberised structure the Ventile provides a much lighter structure and when worn feels a lot more comfortable.

1 person likes this.
  3. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Well-Known Member

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

NC didn't invent the Everest parka, it itself is a knock-off of a jacket used by sir Edmund Hillary, when he climbed Everest.

5. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

No he didn't, Sir Edmund walked across Antarctica in the parka now described as, "The Everest parka", he climbed Everest in something else. But your point is valid it's what Nigel does.

6. Find Finn

NC disagrees

7. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

That ain't no "Everest parka" :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I take your point though it was inspired by the Everest expedition, but lets not turn this into an internet argument.

8. mcqueen

mcqueen Well-Known Member

Why did you cancel the auctions? I took the time to view your items, placed bids on one and was following several others. Strange that you would take the time to post on this thread promoting these items, and then not bother to follow through.

9. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Stay-Clean was entirely up front about his sales. From the remaining ebay-sale for waistcoats (available in all sizes!), we find this text:

"In excellent, unworn condition. They have been sitting boxed in a storage room for the past year. These were part of a large, ultra-rare collection of 50+ NC '12-'13 samples that I am listing for a major NYC showroom over the course of the next month. These includes the 1912 Arctic Expedition as well as the Mainline collections."

Seems to me it's just another retailer trying to clear out a bunch of stuff. And the buy it now for the waistcoat isn't remarkably reasonable either. I'd hazzard a guess that the first lot of items were cancelled when prices didn't go high enough?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nigel-Cabou...8?pt=US_CSA_MC_Vests&var=&hash=item3a84f8c36e

10. StayClean

StayClean Member

My apologies. It was out of my hands. This NC FW12 sample collection I am selling is for a showroom I work for, and my boss was dissatisfied with the prices the pieces had been bid up to.

He doesn't understand that people typically only put in their max bid at the very last minute.

Anyway, the prospect of selling the photographer's jacket, which is mint, issue number 001 and retailed for $2500+, for less than a grand was too much for him and he had me yank the listings.

Obviously it could have gone for more, but he wasn't having it.

I'll still be listing them, but with the starting price being wholesale (retail divided by 2.5x), as well as a buy-it-now option somewhere around retail.

Again, sorry for the let-down. If it was my call I would have just ran with it.

Here's a few previews of what's to come:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for your patience.

Best,
    Will

P.S.

These are just the jackets:

NAME
    STYLE
    FABRIC COLOR TAGS WHOLESALE SIZE
    Cricket Oxford Jacket NCW-S13-WWJK-5 Oxford Grey Y $220.00 48x2, 50
    Notch Denim Jacket ? Denim Navy Y/N $400.00 48
    Cameraman Jacket NC-W12-OW-4 OilCloth/Harris Tweed Dark Navy Y $950.00 48
    Cameraman Jacket NC-W12-OW-6 Tweed/Cotton "Crazy" Olive/Navy/Brown Y $950.00 48
    Cameraman Jacket ? Tweed/Cotton Olive/Brown Tweed Y $950.00 48
    Atkinson Surgeon Jacket - Limited Ed. - Issue 001 1912-6 Handwoven Harris Tweed "Brown/Charcoal Stripe N $700.00 2
    Frank Debenham Seaman Coat - Limited Ed. Issue 001 1912-11 Tweed, Rope Closures, Oil Cloth Pockets Olive Y $750.00 2
    Herbert G Ponting Photographer Down Jacket - Issue 001 1912-7 "Ventile" 100% Cotton Proofed, Down, Shearling Collar "Light Earth, Black Navy" N $1,000.00 2
    Aircraft Jacket NC-W12-0W-1 Oilcloth Cotton Navy Y $400.00 48
    Surface Jacket NC-W12-OW-2 OilCloth Cotton, Unlabeled Olive Y $800.00 ?
    Driza-Bone Smock NC-W12-OW-3 Made in Australia, Fur Lined Hood, Shearling Cuffs Olive N $800.00 48
    Henry Bowers Deck Jacket, "Fox", Limited Ed. - Issue 001 1912-5 White Wool, Waxed Cotton Pockets Antarctic White N $600.00 2
    Edgar Evans Antarctic Smock - Limited Ed. - Issue 001 1912-4 "Ventile" Proofed Cotton, (Matching Pants) Stone Windowpane / Olive Y $1,300.00 2
    Thomas Crean Sleeping Bag Jacket - Limited Ed - Issue 001 1912-12 Shearling, Leather Natural N $2500.00+ 2
    Notch Lapel Jacket/Shirt NC-W12-WWJK-2 Rigid Cotton?` Navy/Grey Striped N $400.00 2
    Mallory Jersey Jacket ? 100% Cotton Jersey Navy N $400.00 48
    Cold Weather Parka - Sheep NC-W12-OW-8 100% Pure Wool - Harris Black Navy N $600.00 48
    Peak Lapel Jacket NC-W12-WWJK-1 Vintage Cotton Stripe Brown/Grey N $500.00 2

11. mcqueen

mcqueen Well-Known Member

Is there a commitment from the seller to not cancel the auctions next time around? It is quite a nuisance to follow an item for several days, with the intention to place a bid, only to have the seller cancel the auction. I usually do not bother with a seller who goes about his auctions in this manner.

12. StayClean

StayClean Member

I agree with you 100% and promise you there is no danger of anything ending early from this point forward.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

-SC

13. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Well-Known Member

The jackets that were worn to the top of Everest in 1953 had to be lightweight so were probably made of nylon Pertex stuffed with Goosedown. They were probably made by Eddie Bauer but commissioned through an outfitter - forgotten the name of the outfitter but its in the Accent of Everest book

The Parka that Nigel has meticulously recreated is the one that Sir Edmund wore on the trans Antarctic expedition which is in the museum in Auckland which Nigel has been to see and is in many photographs. It's made with Ventile with a Pertex lining which is exactly as the NC Antarctic/Everest Parka

Edmund Hilary did wear his Antarctic Parka on Everest in the 60's - here's a photo of him wearing it on Everest

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. IndependenceChi

IndependenceChi Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd pop in and let you guys know that we got our shipment of Nigel Cabourn this week!

We have the following available....

Cameraman in Army & Stone -- $1300.00
    Mallory Jacket -- Army -- $900.00
    Mallory Jacket -- Brown -- $900.00
    Everest Parka -- Vintage Orange -- $3150.00

Plus we have sizing left in the Taped Ventile Aircraft Jacket in Navy -- $1080.00 marked down 50% to $540.00

Please contact us at info@independence-chicago.com or call us at 312.675.2105 with questions or to place an order!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. NickJohannessen

It strikes me that this forum is now becoming a sales outlet more than a discussion between enthusiasts. Is it really ok for vendors to advertise like this?

16. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure I agree with you Nick and I think your point would have been better made if you had actually started a discussion about something Cabourn related. For example have you seen this crazy B7 Sheepskin Parka that Corniche have got in. Not my cup of tea (and I seriously considered buying the sleeping bag jacket from last year) but somebody might be interested. The details look insane. Hopefully I'll find time to nip in the next time I'm back home in Edinburgh. http://www.corniche.org.uk/display1.php?Nigel Cabourn Coat B7 Sheepskin Parka&id=1061

To be honest I don't really understand where you're coming from especially since you've been trying to sell stuff via this forum all summer. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure one of the last comments you made in the thread was about trying to sell a cameraman from a previous season? I personally don't see any difference between that and the posts above.

If the posts above were spam (and I'm prepared to give the benefit of the doubt to the guy who has a lot of stuff on ebay and had to relist it) then I'd agree with you but I don't think they are and I think they have gone about it in the right way (certainly the guys from Independence). I'm not fully au fait with the forum rules but I think vendors are allowed to post about their stock once and then maybe again if there is a price drop or something to protect the affiliate vendors. I don't think there is anything to stop vendors contributing to the conversation and that's fine with me. Would be good if some of the guys who have actually handled the goods contributed more although you obviously don't expect someone who is selling the product to provide a bad review.

The folk from Independence seem like good guys from their other posts on the forum and I'd have no hesitation in buying from them. Maybe not Cabourn as its easier for me to buy in the UK but certainly some of the other brands they have. It might also help someone stateside become introduced to Nigel Cabourn by going in to their shop to see the goods in person, allowing them to physically compare the brand to others and see for themselves if the price is worth it.

They have also provided some really good pictures of the new season stock which actually enhances the thread in my opinion. The colours on all the Mallory's this year seem to really pop and that comes through in their pictures.

17. NickJohannessen

There's a world of difference between me as a private person posting that I have a jacket for sale and asking to be contacted by PM for details, and commercial vendors (StayClean and Indepencence) posting what amounts to pure advertising, i.e. stock lists with pricing, sizes and numbers available, and photos directly to the forum. If it was just photos, I wouldn't be so down on it, but in combination with the rest, I find it very annoying.

If I am alone in holding this opinion though, I will shut up about it. And I do still have a brand-new Camaraman available. Ha!

Maybe we should invite all the other Cabourn resellers to post similar posts? Anyone else think that would work out just great?

Oh, and I posted a few of my impressions of Nigel's AW13 collection to my blog, here: http://welldresseddad.com/2013/09/08/news-nigel-cabourn-aw13-available/

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  18. Find Finn

PM Fok and ask, only way to find out, my guess is yes as long as they are paying vendors.

19. jonnyt

jonnyt Well-Known Member

I don't mind vendors posting as long as they include photos and don't spam with dozens of posts. I subscribe to this thread to keep up to date with all things Cabourn, read other people's opinions and look at photos but I am also happy to find out about pieces for sale.
    If a post in this thread leads me to the last available size 50 Everest Parka in indigo at 50% off, I really don't care if it is a private or corporate seller...

20. London

London Well-Known Member

Since we're all in the spirit...I have a storm parka for sale and would consider selling a pristine navy mallory...both in size 48