1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

DOES ANYONE have both the Camo Notch Work Jacket and last year's Tenzing version? Last year's was the same jacket bar the shade, right? I mean in terms of fit as well.

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that. An excellent idea in theory, but in practice it looks difficult looking at the details at the shoulder. Definitely would be the best option.

2. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Well-Known Member

Quote: I don't think that looks too bad. If you didn't see the pre-alteration photo, I don't think you'd really consider it didn't look right. It's cutting it close though.

As mentioned though, your only other option is to shorten from the other end.

3. cold war painter

cold war painter Well-Known Member

I looked at the summer Mallory with this in mind and concluded there wasn't enough allowance of cloth to take the vent any further towards the shoulder. I guess things would be different in a lined jacket perhaps.

4. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Well-Known Member

All good points posted -I agree with the above in that I don't think it would at all bad just taking the bottom half inch or so

Also shortening from the shoulder is a very good idea

The working cuff on my SS12 Camo Tenzing is actually slightly longer for some reason even though everything looks identical and there would be room to relocate the bottom button and keep equal spacing but looking at your photos there isn't room to do it

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  5. BLAUGRANA

Do you have that Tenzing? If so, is the fit the same?

6. benecios

benecios Well-Known Member

Seems I have messed up this time, all my Cabourn has been bought in the sales and I was hoping to grab a Ventile Taped Aircraft Jacket in Size 50 at a discount. They all seem to be gone though, there is a white one at Present but white is the only colour I don't want. What seems odd is that IMO it seems to be one of his most overpriced garments, so I don't know if it was a small production run or if they've genuinely 'flown off the shelves'.
    Going off topic I received a Mackintosh Clisham in the Fox Brothers Wool on Friday from End and I think it's possibly the finest jacket I've ever owned.

7. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Well-Known Member

I came across an interesting sight in Oslo recently, at Høyer Eger in the city centre. A small collection of Nigel Cabourn, consisting of 4 Ventile Cameraman jackets, a jersey Mallory, and one last that I couldn't identify. They must be testing the waters, as Nigel Cabourn is entirely unknown in Norway. I believe they also had a couple of jackets from the Everest collection a year or two back.

It was interesting for me to have the opportunity to feel the Ventile version though, and I was sort of surprised at how flimsy it felt compared to the Mackintosh/Linen variant. The tape does add a bit of visual interest, but I reckon the previous years version feels a a bit more special that this years one. I'd be interested to know how the Ventile works compared to Mackintosh though, with regards to building up damp on the inside...

I've added a couple of photos to my Cameraman blog-post, in case anyone is interested in seeing Cameraman in the wild confines of a Norwegian high-end shopporama:

http://welldresseddad.com/2013/03/01/icons-nigel-cabourn-cameraman-jacket/

Also added a few more exhibits to my post of Cameramanesque jackets, or Cabourn ripoffs if you like:

http://welldresseddad.com/2013/03/02/inspired-by-an-icon-cameramanesque/

8. Eric Gill Sans

I have the SS12 Camo Tenzing in 46 and I have tried on the SS13 Camo jacket in 46 at End Clothing and they seemed identical although I didn't have the Tenzing with me to compare at the time.

I did prefer the fabric of the SS13 version but buying another would have been an extravagance too far

9. London

London Well-Known Member

Looking to move a navy speckled mallory in excellent shape size 48

10. Eric Gill Sans

End, Present and Trunk have done really well with their SS13 offerings and each of these ordered the ventile Aircrafts and Cameraman's.

Even I am surprised how the Aircrafts have sold out but as I've posted before, Ventile is a fabulous fabric, worth paying the premium for and the Yellow and red were fabulous colours.

I know of only 6 shops outside of Japan that ordered the ventile Aircrafts and each of these probably had 5 in each of only an average of 3 colour ways so my guess makes approx 90 ventile Aircrafts outside of Japan.

It's only a rough guess as there are quite a few shops in Europe that don't have an online shop do I can't monitor the stock

11. Eric Gill Sans

Ben Fogle looking great in the yellow Aircraft

[​IMG]

12. zola

zola Well-Known Member

Who is Ben Fogal???

13. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  14. zola

zola Well-Known Member

Quote:Oh, and he is even wearing an NC Everest Parke on his homepage..!

15. BLAUGRANA

In the gallery you can see him wearing the Debenham peacoat (presumably in Antarctica), Balclava or whatever it's call thing, linen Mallory, linen crazy vest...

16. RuffyD

RuffyD Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can still pick up a pair of those green Cabourn x Converse in UK11?

17. Eric Gill Sans

Last pair from Nigel Cabourn's own website

Click on the Collaborations tab

18. Eric Gill Sans

And wearing the SS12 Madras check peak lapel jacket on the cover of his latest book

[​IMG]

19. Arizor

Arizor Well-Known Member

Just found and ordered the chambray medical shirt at a large discount on rakuten, apparently it was originally $650?! Got it for $220, looks very well made from the pictures and I love the styling. Anyone have hands-on experience with it, worth the price?

I also picked up the Merz B Schwanen collab grandad shirt in military green, absolutely fantastic piece. Normally I'm a fan of Merz B Schwanen over the Cabourn collab, but they knocked this one out of the park; sumptuous quality.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  20. RuffyD

RuffyD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip!