1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Well-Known Member

Yes that was one of the websites i looked at

The garment clips are small at 10mm and 15mm.

Interestingly the Trigger Locks on this site are the ones Penfield use on their Cameraman type copy garments.

2. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Well-Known Member

First time I've seen a Marrkt sale with quite a lot of stuff in my size. Tempted by a skyliner or one of the vests but just going to leave it just now. Backpack looks nice too.

Did someone say previously that you need to size down one in some of the Eddie Bauer stuff?

3. taiAtari

taiAtari Member

Yes, those are traditionally used for firefighter coats, like the vintage one below (allegedly from the ´40s), but also on more recent examples. They serve the same function as the naval clips and wooden toggles, being easier to operate with gloved or very cold hands.

[​IMG].

4. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

If you're buying something off Marrkt, the Highland cable gloves are looking tempting at only five quid. If you're special like I am (an American), they're only about $8 after VAT. Orginally about $48. Not bad for british wool and leather/suede.

That's the consensus, but in my experience I'd say TTS. Pit to pit is from the outside of the garment and so you're not factoring in the inch or so, and yes it is an inch, thickness of the down. I've only tried the K2 and quilted jacket (quilted field/Mallory, which it should be noted is a bit snug in the arm depending on your build) though and they are both AW12 while the Skyliner is AW11. Of course they look pretty big with the thickness of the down, but to be expected in this sort of coat. If you're looking at a skyliner I'd move soon as I think inventory is limited. Had the navy in a 52 in my cart and it was gone by the time I was ready to check out. I can definitely live without it. Now whoever grabbed the grey fairisle Highland cable gloves though...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. Jagger_On

Thanks. If this sale had been 6 months from now, I would be all over a Skyliner as I don't have anything like that but I'm in the process of working out what I'm going to spend on S/S clothing so don't really want to spend money on A/W clothing even though it's still really cold at the minute. Unless, of course, a Mallory pops up some time soon or there is still some nice stuff left around the next round of drops.

6. Frigiliana

Frigiliana Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

It's not an exclusive. Nice piece though even though it's more "basic" than the version with the seam detail. Much cheaper too.

8. the year 1492

the year 1492 Well-Known Member

This is really cool because I have a clip jacket with a bad clip (doesn't close as tight as it should) and I really want to get it fixed up but it seems like getting the clips on/off the jacket itself is tricky. Anybody have any ideas on how to actually replace one of these clips? I

9. alex99

alex99 Well-Known Member

Speaking of clip jackets, where are they this season? I thought they were a spring/summer staple. And how come only Japan has the hoodies? Are certain pieces just not out yet?

10. Jagger_On

It's probably cheaper because that one isn't made of Ventile. The non-Ventile ones are about the same price they've been for the last few years.

11. Eric Gill Sans

No you are right - spotted it somewhere else as well - I think it was Kafka. NC did a Surface jacket in this material a couple of seasons ago.

12. Eric Gill Sans

I suppose it did look a bit silly saying e commerce site coming Feb 2013 when we are in the middle of March.

It's a development and the anticipation is building - it surely should imminent otherwise the SS13 selling season will be over !!

My guess is that it will go live next week as Nigel's right hand man is at Cheltenham this week.

13. bensolujofin

bensolujofin Well-Known Member

Well well well!

cabourn.com is up and running!

There's a few unique-to-the-website items such as this:

[​IMG]

Very exciting stuff

14. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Well-Known Member

15. bensolujofin

bensolujofin Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness.

Behold these:
    [​IMG]

270 GBP..

I think I'm going to wet myself

16. Eric Gill Sans

Quite a funky little site - impressed with the look and feel of the site Disappointed that they don't have 44's and 46's but hey well it's a start I agree with you these troos are the stars so far

17. Eric Gill Sans

Just thought I would share a top tip for a few Cabourn pieces pre- SS11.

Before SS11 the ends of hangman knot chord adjusters were left unfinished so that they frayed quite badly so I used some brown waxed linen thread to create a whip finish

These were my first attempts on the SS10 Mandalay Pakaway coat

[​IMG]

And here is a link to the knots

http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/whipping.pdf

I've done this on a few NC pieces and it works a treat and the brown waxed linen thread is ideal

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  18. Eric Gill Sans

Just been looking on the new Cabourn site - Cruise in Glasgow stocks Cabourn and Corniche have been missed off the British stockists list !
    Just have a look at the number of German stockists !
    I think there is a verse in the bible that says something like 'a prophet is not always welcome in his own land'

19. taiAtari

taiAtari Member

The list of stockists seems awfully out of date anyway. It lists a store in The Hague that closed recently and hasn't stocked new seasons of NG for over two years anyway and also Nitty Gritty and Tresbien in Sweden who have stopped carrying Cabourn this or last season.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  20. Jagger_On

Crusie has to be one of the worst shops in the world. The Glasgow one is marginally better than the Edinburgh one but I just can't see how Cabourn will fit in amongst all the Armani, Gucci and Hugo Boss which I assume is driven by their customers. Although there have been lots of rumours that they've been struggling over the last few years so may be they're trying to branch out. Hopefully the Cabourn items they stock sell well.

Was having a look around various things this morning and came across this on Farfetch. Pretty cool Cameraman in a colourway I hadn't seen before. Does anyone know what season its from?

[​IMG]