1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Malafider

Malafider Member

I spoke to the owner of Nitty Gritty the other day and he told that he wont be stocking Nigel Cabourn anymore. Inflated prices and limited demand were the two primary reasons.

2. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Well-Known Member

Yes a few well known NC stockists have not reordered in the last year or so

Oi Polloi
    LN-CC
    Tres Bien

to name a few

But new ones appear - Trunk Clothiers, Kafta

Each individual shop owner will know his/her customers, monitor previous sales and change accordingly -I suppose that's the nature of fashion.

I went to a fashion industry seminar a couple of weeks ago at the London School of Fashion about the future of the industry and there were some top fashion industry consultants and retailers saying that B2B (brand to business) is just dying in Europe and USA because shops are closing, footfall is down, internet sales and big Brand stores selling direct are taking over.

Unless a shop has a great USP, a great internet site that appeals internationally and some difficult to get hold of desirable brands or exclusives - it's going to struggle.

B2C (Brand to Consumer) is growing massively, so no wonder a Nigel Cabourn direct e commerce site makes sense - more margin, better cash flow etc.

Also interesting that C2C (consumer to consumer) selling - ebay etc is also growing greatly.We are all becoming retailers as well as consumers

M2C is also growing (manufacturer to consumer) look at the small manufacturers becoming brands in their own right - Old Town, SEH Kelly, Private White etc.and selling direct.

A bit surprised by the 'Inflated prices' comment though as NC's SS13 range has seen a considerable deflation on shirts, Jackets and waistcoats from previous SS collections.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eric Gill Sans

Just realised as well, that I have probably bought from just about every Nigel Cabourn European retailer that has an internet site over the last 4 years but not from Nitty Gritty. Some its just the odd item like the limited Edition Balaclava from Ushowu or a scarf from Cultizm if they haven't got my size

And I haven't a clue why that is - it may be because they haven't had my size or any exclusive accessories

One of my fathers favourite saying to me was "money is round because it's designed to go 'round" so I do like to spread my custom rather than just buy from one retailer.

4. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Some amazing deals at Le Rayon Frais. 46 Cameraman and 54 Puffa Jacket still left. Both great pieces at great prices. Were either my size you wouldn't even see them.

5. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

British Army tattersall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Newfangle

Newfangle Active Member

Not that I want to go too much off-topic about NC thread, but that's a good sum up of the actual state of things in the industry, especially in Europe.
    The mix of general crisis and brands being more agressive to sell directly to consumer will in fact "shake" the industry and lead to the close of many shops. In this beginning of 2013 we already had some examples in Europe of great known shops closing, but unfortunately there will be more.

1 person likes this.
  7. Eric Gill Sans

Great photos - which season is it and where did you get it from?

8. daizawaguy

I bought it in Japan at the Army Gym - guess its spring. Thanks

9. Eric Gill Sans

Today is my first wearing of my replica Luftwaffe Channel pants bought from Noble House after inspiration from Nigel's AW13 photo shoot [​IMG] Out and about wearing them now with : NC braces from Edward Wilson Overpants NC navy Cape Cameraman NC navy and grey stripe wool football scarf

2 people like this.
  10. taiAtari

taiAtari Member

That looks great, nice colour too!

11. Eric Gill Sans

Thanks Yes really pleased with them - the Miriad of pockets and details are pretty special. Just a shame everything is lined in satin

To be honest they don't look military at all - they look like really functional blue workwear trousers with a punk influence with all the zips.

12. Eric Gill Sans

If Nigel Cabourn did cycle helmets !

[​IMG]

It's an Abus Tweed Signature helmet with a 1920's influence

Thought it might be interesting for anyone who wears Nigel Cabourn or vintage clothing cycling and wants a helmet to match

13. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Well-Known Member

Actually better than I feared :) Have you perfected the rather mincing walk of the proper Luftwaffe pilot as well? ;-)

14. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  15. Eric Gill Sans

Yes I've been perfecting the airman's mince all day, swaggering with my voluminous pants and pockets!
    I've been with the family all day and they never mentioned the troos once. The only comment I got from the wife and eldest son was that I looked like a character from Dispicable Me because of my NC navy and grey scarf !

16. daizawaguy

Latest white army shirt...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Eric Gill Sans

Thanks for posting
    Is this the Japanese made or English made shirt - where did you get it from?

18. daizawaguy

It`s the Japanese made one, bought at the Army Gym in Naka-Meguro. Whilst the sleeve lengths are fine, it`s quite a perfect fit for a 52, so my guess is the Japanese patterns are influencing the construction. Is that same shirt avaliable internationally? I mean is there only one maker for the Army shirt? Thanks for any views

19. Eric Gill Sans

Thanks, looks great the quality of the thick cotton is gorgeous.

In Europe there have appeared 'army shirts' made in England at a lower price point to the Japanese made shirts - corniche in Scotland are the only retailer to still get the Japanese made shirts in Britain so far.

The only design differences I can see from photos between the two,other than the material, is that the lowest button on the front placket is higher on the English made shirts and there are buttons on the sleeves for rolling up.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  20. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Well-Known Member

I think the tattersall oxford is from AW12, Superdenim had it in their sale section. Somebody got a bargain if that price is true, http://www.superdenim.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=2607. Having said that though, some of the patterns and cloths do seem to be recycled between seasons.

I went into Trunk yesterday and their British Army shirts were a lightweight cotton. Actually really nice and will be great in the summer whereas the ones in Present used the Japanese Oxford fabric. So, depending on what you're after take a close look at the fabric.

Really tempted by the lightweight sky blue one especially since Coggles have £30 off a £100 spend (think the code is Spring30 but its plastered all over their website) plus a further 8% off via quidco at the minute but I've spent a fortune recently so really should hold off...

1 person likes this.