1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links previously Eric. I'm thinking I'll probably give those trousers a miss and go for the Engineered Garments Fatigues.

2. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Well-Known Member

Latest from 'Cabourn Watch'

the Nigel Cabourn Converse collaboration 'plimsolls' (I love that word -so retro) or 'Gym Shoe' are likely to hit shops early April.

Endclothing have a near exclusive in the UK and they will be allowed to put them on their website for international sales.

In the meantime - history of the 'plimsoll' to whet your appetite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plimsoll_shoe

There is very little evidence on what these 'Gym shoes' will look like but there was talk of using Ventile as the cotton uppers and i don't have any inside track but here is what some think they will look like

[​IMG]

As to price - I expect around £170-£190 ish at a guess based on what I know about wholesale prices and shop margins

3. Eric Gill Sans

Yes its a bit of a 'no go' if they are only available in Japan - its way too difficult and pricey unless you are actually visiting

How about trying to find a pair of genuine army surplus?

Nigel Has a fantastic pair of extremely rare Luftwaffe Channel pants from WW2 that Drew wore in the AW13 photo shoot that look amazing.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. Jagger_On

To be honest, it was probably more the colour that I really liked rather than the style. I'm sure if I seen them in person they would be really cool but I sometimes find cargo's give off the wrong idea. It would be good to see how Drew rocked them if you have a link?

5. Eric Gill Sans

I was going to put a post regarding Nigel's Luftwaffe Channel pants and how he's used them as inspiration for the AW13 Aircraft jacket so you have just reminded me

Here is a picture of a beaming Mr Cabourn having just procured them for his vintage collection while he was in Florence at Pitti alongside a plate of a German pilot from 1943-44

These are incredibly rare trousers

[​IMG]

Here is a slide from the AW13 (FW13) photoshoot - look at Drew's Troos

[​IMG]

Now look at the new style bellow pockets on the above AW13 Aircraft jacket - the size, shape, proportion and fastening

And to think some people wonder why I get so enthused about Nigel Cabourn clothing !!!??

6. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Well-Known Member

Wow, I started chuckling at the photo of Nigel and the trousers (then I noticed he was just holding them up in front of him and managed to rein it in a little), then my eyes fell upon the German pilot! Massive chortle! We're not talking the macho men of the Luftwaffe here, more like a failed audition for the Willage Pfeople! (work with me on that one...)

Drew looks pretty cool though.

7. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

I should hopefully be expanding my Cabourn collection to legwear this weekend - I've picked up a couple of pairs of the Selvedge Workwear Pants. I'm hoping the sellers measurements are correct because my previous attempts with his legwear haven't been successful... If they fit my slightly larger than desirable waist, the next consideration is do I wear them as wide legged as Nigel intended or do I get the legs tapered.

8. NickJohannessen

My thinking is that if you're not going to wear them as they were made, why buy them? Of course, I do wonder about the sense in this point of view when I'm wandering around in my tweed Bombay pants. I do not feel as dapper as the model at Superdenim looks! :) (http://www.superdenim.co.uk/feature-detail.asp?featureid=24)

[​IMG]

9. Jagger_On

Cheers Eric. I've seen that picture of Nigel before but that picture of Drew is fantastic. Everything just works. The attention to detail is amazing. It looks great when you see how the designer planned on the pieces going together. Is there anymore shots of AW13 floating around like the one with Drew?
    I say try and embrace the wide leg to start with if you can. I know that I'd have exactly the same issue as you as everything I wear is tapered these days but I think you've got to switch up the silhouette once in a while and see how it looks. Damn, I think I've almost talked myself into buying those EG fatigues now.

10. ManofKent

I was after trousers with brace fixtures anyway - wasn't particularly looking for cabourn, but these cropped up at a reasonable price new on ebay.

Would tapering his trousers be that different to those who size down for a slimmer fit than Nigel intended for his jackets? It's an interesting question as to the owners aesthetic preferences and the designers.

11. ManofKent

I'll certainly try them as they come first off - I may be mentally exaggerating how wide they'll be in reality. Not being the slimmest of men, it's whether they add too much visual bulk.

12. Jagger_On

How do you like those Bombay tweed trousers Nick? I considered them at one point but ended up going with a thick pair of 3/4 lined herringbone ones from RRL.

Yeah, this is something I have to consider too. One of these days I'll stop drinking as much good beer...

13. Eric Gill Sans

The Selvedge Workwear pants feel a bit strange in cut when you first wear them - They have a dungaree 1930's jean workwear cut with a low crotch (am I allowed to say 'Crotch' in polite circles) OK - saggy arse ! which, when you look down on them when you are wearing them look strange, particularly when they are new and the fabric is stiff.

They are roomy - my 30 inch waist ones came in at 33 inch

My advice is to try them and look at them in the mirror with a bit of distance to get a proper idea of how they look, then give them lots of wear which really breaks them in as you would dry denim.

let us know how you get on and we want photos

oh and definitely wear them with braces but experiment - Nigel has some new ones out with an embossed logo in the leather or dare I say it, some ones from Levi Vintage/Originals

14. ManofKent

My like is made difficult in that I live less than 10minutes walk from the oldest brewery in the UK - well it's a good excuse :cheers:

Thanks - I'll give them a go and see how I get on. good to know they are roomy. Cabourn legwear sizing seems even less consistent than the outerwear - on the cheap shorts Yoox had, the measured size is about 1/2" smaller than the tagged size.

15. NickJohannessen

To be honest, I'm not totally sure. They're certainly odd. And cool. And a bit of strange as well. They're sort of like my EG Oslo pants, in the wooliness and loose fit. But even more so. I feel pretty self-conscious whilst wearing them. And a bit stylin' as well :)

I think what I'm trying to say is: They take a little getting used to.

Plus they attract dog-hair like crazy, and my Corgi sheds like crazy. A match made in hell if there ever was one.

1 person likes this.
  16. NickJohannessen

Impossible to say, as there is often such a discrepancy between marked size and actual size. Nigel himself appears to favour his fitting super-loose, but going by the marked size they tend to be pretty damn tight around the butt. I would tend to frown upon buying an expensive, distinct pair of trousers like these only to totally change their look.

In case you hadn't already considered it though, I'll offer up something you might not have considered... When in London 2 weeks ago, I bought a pair of Old Town Vauxhall trousers. Really stout and sturdy, superb fitting, true to size, ready buttons for braces, proper solid cloth. I've hardly worn anything else since I bought them (and I never wear a anything the same 2 days running). Oh, plus they're not stupidly priced either.... (had to edit here, missed out the NOT first time around).

http://old-town.co.uk/products/vauxhalls.htm

17. ManofKent

Yes - I keep meaning to try Old Town - those look good. Where in London sells them ready made? It was the having something made that may or may not fit that was putting me off.

Re. The selvedge workers - I wasn't thinking of doing anything more than slimming the trousers a little from the knee - I might be happpy with them as they are. They weren't so expensive as to be a big gamble (£90 for the two - one army, one tan).

18. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Huge fan of that coat the instant I saw it. Probably a good thing I missed out on the AW12 version. Hopefully the snaps are the same as previous versions. Love the snaps and the construction is great. Those bellow pockets totally make that coat.

19. NickJohannessen

These are the guys that have them, Labour & Wait (http://www.labourandwait.co.uk/). They only have the one style of trouser though, and one style of jacket, plus one womans style of wraparound dress. Can't find mention of it on the website though.

20. NickJohannessen

Any link to the new NC ones? I have army and navy variants already, would very much like to find a pair of tan ones. In a similar style at least.

I'm guessing these are the ones? http://www.endclothing.co.uk/brands/nigel-cabourn/nigel-cabourn-workwear-braces-83963.html

The embossing is on the inside. These are exactly the same as previous years ones.