1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, May 26, 2015.

1. ntempleman

ntempleman Well-Known Member

Co la breith first!

2. ntempleman

Sorry to have missed you - I'll be back in early April most likely. Looking forward to coming back, it'll be a pleasure to meet with you.

3. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Oh!! When you said "ho,ho, ho"...

Well then, co-là breith sona dhut, a bhalaich!

4. ntempleman

I generally just roll the two together and make a month of it #yolo and all that

5. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

I literally can't even right now.

6. ntempleman

7. ntempleman

Wait, the kids are still saying yolo right

8. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I am sure today's urban youth would be proud

9. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

One of my favorites.

10. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

:fonz:

11. ntempleman

Don't think I've actually tried Highland Park, I'll have to remedy that at some point. I think it makes up a decent portion of Grouse which is pretty good as far as ubiquitous blends go, so I'm confident it'll go down well. Who am I kidding, I've yet to meet a whisky I didn't get on with..

Not included in the shot was a decanter newly refreshed with Teachers, I haven't had that for 'kin years and I'm curious to see if it's gone as far downhill as everyone says.

12. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Just on principle, I'm not real fond of blends...I've heard Famous Grouse is the best of them...I like the distinct character of single malts and have always gravitated towards Lagavulin and Laphroig and so forth. I thought HP was a little pedestrian at first. But as I got into my first bottle I realized it was just a matter of refining my sensibilities.

Highland Park is one of the few whiskys...aside from the typical Island whiskys (HP is from Orkney) ...that still uses peat (as opposed to gas or anthracite coal used in many lowland whiskys) for drying the malt and this results in a delicate but definite peat reek that most of the "lawlan"...even some heiland...malts are missing, without the iodine and kelp overtones that the island malts tend to have.

The HP distillery owns their own peat bog that they have been harvesting for 200+ years (and still have more than 2/3 of it left). HP has been named Best Spirit in the World a number of times and World’s Best Single Malt and received a perfect 100 at the Ultimate Spirit Challenge. All in the last ten years.

Of course, the winners were 20 years old or older...more than I can afford. But even the plebeian 12 year old is rapidly becoming my all time favourite.

--

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  13. ntempleman

I don't mind a blend, especially on the rare occasion I'll have more than one or two glasses. Most of the Malts I like are the more challenging ones, and occasionally I'll want something a bit simpler. Plus, in the single malt world where spent barrels are preferred, you've got to get the tannins out of the oak somehow so grain whisky has an important place. Single Grain whisky is quite an interesting drink, and I'm a fan of a fair few American grain whiskeys, especially a straight rye. Even more so when that rye is turned into a Sazerac or Manhattan etc. I'm looking forward to that Blantons more than anything though, been years since I had a bottle in the rotation.

As far as blends go, Grouse is ok. It's a bit to smooth and a bit too sweet for my tastes. I think it would be a let down going from a single malt to that. When I got into whisky, Teachers was the best blend out there with he highest malt content. The ownership changed about 5 years ago and supposedly the access to certain malts ended, so we'll see how well this one goes down. I'm sure I'll struggle through it if I have to.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  15. ntempleman

Been a while since anyone's asked for a chisel toe, shame really because I like doing them. Should probably make up some square samples to remedy that. There'll be an unusual brogue pattern on the toe of this pair, whoever can guess what it'll be wins a prize*!

*possibly

16. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Fair guess, something from Steven will be coming Nicholas' way.
    Could that be our friend Nicholas selecting the cloth for his forthcoming suit? :D

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  17. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

The design will be asymmetrical and off-centre to match young Steven's fringe:

[​IMG]

18. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

diamond shaped broguing.

19. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

I trust the medallion will be something along the lines of his old choice on another custom pair: [​IMG] Is that a snowflake or crosshair I see?

20. ntempleman

A diamond like this?

[​IMG]

Nope. No ones close yet!