1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Aug 1, 2011.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

2. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

3. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

4. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Seems he will be cleared according to an article I read today.

5. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

oh yeah, i dont doubt that its probably a blatant attempt at a cashgrab. i mean its not surprising that a young, rich sports star who likes to party and wins the stanley cup suddenly has allegations like these made against him

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  6. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Twilight Zone!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

7. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

i noted that and laughed when i saw the devils drafting him. also, boston drafting malcolm subban lol.

some fun trades, too - schenn for JVR is one of the least stupid things burke has done, and im interested to see jordan staal in carolina. i absolutely love getting trade updates.

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Damn, Flyers just got a great player for the long haul.

9. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

I think it was a fair trade all around. Schenn was solid with Toronto but Leafs fans expected too much out of him, especially offensively. JVR will do well with a change of pace. I don't think he ever fit into the Philly lineup.

10. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

oh man...

calgary trading for dennis wideman's rights = cool this is a good move :)

wideman gets signed for 5 years at 5.25m per with a full NMC = :fu::fu::fu:

i get that its a thin ufa market, not a lot of defensemen, plus he's coming off a 4.5m all-star year but im not so sure about 5 at 5.25m. this could turn out to be a solid signing but wideman should be happy with that paycheque. also... NMC. feaster is like sutter 2.0

funny thing is i'll be seeing wideman at a wedding this summer, maybe i'll get a chance to schmooze a bit.

11. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Waiting to see what happens with Luongo. :lurk:

12. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Crosby rumored to have signed a 12 year extention with the Pens

13. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Yea for 104.4 mil. I wonder what Malkin will ask for. LA just signed Quick for 10 yrs, smart move.

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

That's what Isles fans said at the DP contract...lol

15. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

The sports annals are filled with stories of people signed for gigantic contracts because they had a good season that they were never able to repeat. I hope it works out for LA and for Quick. Even though I'm a Devils fan and we lost to them for the final, I thought Quick played tremendously. Let's hope he earns that contract.

16. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Schnieder gets a deal for 3years at 12 million. Thats a starters paycheque... writing on the wall for sure. Back in florida is my bet right now since toronto is evidently on the out.

Sent from my Vox using Tapatalk

17. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Yea but DP didn't have a cup at that point. Quick has shown tremendous talent over the past few years. He was on the 2010 Olympic team. This wasn't a fluke Jim Carey season for him.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  18. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Marty Brodeur has hired an agent and plans to test the free agent market. I'm assuming he just got a lowball offer from Lamoriello, but it makes things a little interesting.

19. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, I liked Wideman with Boston and with Washington. I think he's reliable and his offense is underrated despite the fact that his shot seems to never hit the mark. That's a terrible contract, though...

The thing I don't like about free agency right now is twofold:

1) Quality players get logged in to very long deals and often never even see the UFA market.

2) Teams have to fight for the scraps (usually guys like Wideman, Olli Jokinen, Dustin Penner, etc., i.e. good but not great players) and these guys always end up costing premium money. Meanwhile, teams like Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg, where most players don't want to relocate to, as well as places like Montreal (high taxes, crazy media) have to pay even more.

As such, the NHL UFA market has been, for many years, a pretty mediocre group of players making pretty great money.