1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Pats ran 47 more offensive plays than the Falcons. Its not really a wonder why the pass rush and d fell apart....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

I texted one of my friends midway through the 4th about the d line looking gassed. I told him just like 2 years ago against Seattle, the d line looks gassed with another quarter to play. Seattle at least could say Cliff Avril left with a concussion 2 years ago. The falcons didn't have a major injury to their d line early in the game.

3. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Lady GaGa is a national treasure yall.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

I still don't know what to feel. Once OTAs roll around I'll probably be able to enjoy this Pats win.

Looking forward I don't know how a non-Kyle Shanahan can lead this offense to another Super Bowl. To make this team historically great took a lot of work (and a lot of luck within the division). But, Dimitroff is as smart a GM as they come and Matt and Julio are incredible together and I wouldn't put much stock in the rest of the division next season so who knows.

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I'm still in shock about what I witnessed last night. I know that it happened, but the reality hasn't fully hit.

1 person likes this.
  6. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

I thought James White deserved to get SB MVP over Brady.

1 person likes this.
  7. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Point well taken.

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

So did I. His play was nearly flawless all game while Tom struggled for the first 3 q's.

9. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

The MVP is pretty much always the best qb/wr/rb regardless of who else played well

10. venividivicibj

Don't know if Brady struggled as much as his receivers, I know Brady had some off passes but I saw maybe 5 BIG dropped passes that killed drives or failed to get first downs.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

lolz

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Anybody else surprised that Terrell Davis and Kurt Warner were voted into the HOF? Both players had incredible peaks, but those peaks lasted a short time. And both players were arguably products of their respective offensive systems.

13. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

Maybe photoshopped, but funny anyway

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. archibaldleach

I'd say Brady was less sharp than usual during the first three quarters and the drops (and receivers not making a few plays on 50/50 balls) didn't help. He missed some open receivers he normally hits, so I think there's enough blame to spread around.

15. archibaldleach

Not too shocked. Some players make a bigger impact over a few seasons than others make over a career. I don't have firm thoughts about where you draw the line about HOF-caliber, but Warner played excellent football and I'd argue that without Terrell Davis, John Elway retires without a Super Bowl ring. He averaged over 100 yards per game (regular season and playoffs), with 142 yards per game and 1.5 rushing TDs per game during his playoff career.

16. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

Warner is deserving IMO. He did take some whole other team to the SB, not just a few magical years with the Rams.

TD is not deserving. The only real running back in the hall you can compare him to as far as shortened career is Gale Sayers, and TD is no Gale Sayers. There are lots and lots of guys, including TD's contemporaries who I would draft/pick before him.

Mike Anderson (who?) put up 1,500 yards in that system. Unless you're going to say every 2000 yard rusher is HOF

As far as the Falcons, history is against them returning to the SB, let alone returning and winning.

Hopefully the Goodell era ends very soon.

17. archibaldleach

Just curious who you'd put above TD. Not necessarily disagreeing, it's just been awhile since I've really thought about 1990s running backs other than Thurman Thomas, Emmitt Smith, or Barry Sanders.

18. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, Shaun Alexander, who has nearly 2000 more rushing yards but no rings.

19. venividivicibj

I agree- just saying that the drops made his stat line, and the general 'he's off!!!' Look worse than it actually worse

20. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

I mean, James White had 3 touchdowns (2 rushing, 1 receiving, including the game-tying and game-winning TD's), set an NFL record with 14 receptions in the Super Bowl, and accounted for 20 of the 34 points scored by the Patriots (the aforementioned 3 TD's plus a 2-point conversion). I understand that the comeback doesn't happen without Brady, but I do believe White had a bigger impact on the game than Brady. If Brady didn't throw that pick-six, I could see it as more of a 50-50 call as to who should get it, but that pick was one of the reasons the Patriots had to dig themselves out of such a massive hole. Besides, Brady himself has said that White deserves it.

But whatever, QB's get all the glory in this league, I guess. I felt the same way when Peyton Manning won his first SB in '06 against the Bears. Manning's stat line was rather pedestrian and Dominic Rhodes played out of his mind, but of course Manning gets the award.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017