1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Damn JJ. Why'd you rush your rehab?

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Why--afraid you might like it?

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Every time I see Belichick talking to the press I think he's about to stroke out in front of my eyes. Same thing with Popovich. I really don't understand what that whole deal is about. Maybe it is just an act, but seething with rage at having to answer media questions seems like a rough way to go about your job. Clearly it doesn't affect the media's obligation to ask what they consider to be stupid or annoying questions. Just seems like there is no point in being a dick about it. I understand that they don't want to say anything meaningful to the media, but there are less miserable ways to do that.

5. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I always took it to mean that dealing with sports media is the worst thing to be subjected to, and only Belichick and Pop are supremely secure enough in their jobs that they don't have to pretend that they like it

1 person likes this.
  6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Any doubters still out there?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone said he was BAD per se, just that his injury history is terrible, and it was a very steep price to pay.

1 person likes this.
  8. lawyerdad

I've seen Pop give some good interviews/answers when the questions interest or engage him, as opposed to when they're stupid and formulaic or when the league is forcing him to talk to a reporter during a game when he'd rather be focusing on his team.

I can't recall a Belichick interview where we he didn't seem to be affirmatively trying to be a dick.

9. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

I'm still a doubter. Long season and he still has plenty of games left to stink up the joint. He had a few decent games like Kirk Cousins or Ryan Fitzpatrick did last year. Fitzpatrick is reverting back to his normal self. Cousins is reverting back to average (he was admittedly pretty good last year much to my surprise compared to what he normally was prior to that). Let me know when he strings together a few good years.

10. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

This is, so far, one of those rare trades that worked out for both teams. Although I'd rather the Vikes start losing games so the Eagles get a better 1st.

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

See, I enjoy that. Maybe it's because I'm a Patriots fan, or maybe it's because I have a low regard for sports journalism and I enjoy seeing someone not suffer fools gladly.

12. lawyerdad

As a non-Pats fan I enjoy it somewhat less but I totally get where you're coming from.

13. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

I've been in one of those pressers and outside the locker room after a game. No doubt he is cold in front of the group, but he seems to like and talks to many of them individually after. Especially the older writers he seems to have known a long time

14. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I agree - interview questions are 95% idiotic, inane, downright insulting, or all three. It's not that the journalists are all stupid (although some really, really are) - but sports media now is all about the sound bite or the (I hate this term) the hot take. So the media asks a question to get a rise, 95% of the athletes are smart enough to reveal nothing and give an inane answer......and somehow, that's ok!!! ESPN gets its ratings and somehow sports fans are content with the same regurgitated bullshit word salad

So when someone sits there and treats this process like the bullshit that it is, I enjoy it

15. lawyerdad

16. venividivicibj

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I'd love to make fun of Breitbart here, but sports journalism in general is not much better.

18. lawyerdad

True, there's lots of shitty "journalism" out there.
    Equally valid headline: "OMG Colts cut black player!"

19. venividivicibj

It's because he's a traitor

20. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

But there is zero point to it. It's like throwing a tantrum when you call customer service and you give them all your information and confirmation pins/passwords etc, then they transfer you and you have to do it all over again - yes, it is dumb and annoying, but throwing a fit over it is only making you and the other person unhappy. The horse is out of the barn on the idiocy front, you can come down from the cross now, Bill.

1 person likes this.