1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Adrian Peterson's nickname in HS and college was "All Day" hence why everyone on the internet refers to him as AD.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Thanks; I just assumed it was a typo.

3. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

I did.

4. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Watched the game on TV. There were some Pack fans yelling this at the end. Nice job skins fans selling your tickets.

Also, Seattle has gotten some great breaks in the playoffs. Off hand I can think of the Romo bobbled hold way back. That conf. championship against, I think, the Pack where they racked up multiple TDs in the last minutes. And, today.

5. Texasmade

You're forgetting the Russell Wilson concussion from Clay Mathews last year with no concussion protocol procedure performed. Had the Seahawks trainers ran the protocol, I'm 100% certain Russell would've failed.

6. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

Doesn't excuse the idiot on the onside kick in last year's NFC Championship. Special teams failures are kinda the hallmark of McCarthy's otherwise outstanding tenure.

I think the only other place that I feel McCarthy's system failing is what is currently happening - McCarthy isn't always flexible in his offensive approach. If you can play bump and run against the packers with any kind of decent, not great, pass rush, you have a real good shot at beating them.

Whether it is the (non) use of motion or gadget plays, he doesn't do enough to take his team out of mental ruts and change the defense. The only place McCarthy ever uses a trick play is on special teams. Trick plays aren't a total panacea, but if you go back to the great Bill Walsh teams, they would do all kinds of things to be able to create space for receivers.

You rarely see bunch formations, motion or misdirection. The closest you will come to anything like that is when they line Cobb up in the backfield. Green Bay is almost otherwise always in a 3x1 setup in passing situations.

I will say that yesterday featured some good changes - Cobb in the backfield and using Kuhn in a similar way as Tom Rathman. Had green bay been in a split backs formation instead of an offset I, the one pass was directly out of 1984.

All this said, I expect Arizona to win - they are an outstanding football team. Seattle vs Carolina has a chance to be a great game, but I would pick Carolina here.

1 person likes this.
  7. jcman311

This was mostly shored up this year with Ron Zook taking over on special teams (and the exit of idiot Bostick) The only play I recall of special teams really f'ing up was a punt fake a couple weeks ago.

Other than that, I really agree with the rest of your post.

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Eh, the better team won yesterday. Rodgers is still Rodgers, even without Jordy Nelson. Next season, Kirk Cousins will have a full training camp and preseason as the starter. The Redskins will be back.

9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

It was a nasty hit, but I see both sides. The point is he was retaliating for the Shazier hit which was so obviously a crown hit and meant to fuck up Gio which it did. How that wasn't called idk, but everyone knew Burfict would go apeshit after that... especially with Porter out there talking shit all game.

as an aside… I wonder if Burfict types his name and when it gets auto-corrected he's like "yo WTF is burdock?!" I'm certain he has no effing clue… lol :happy:

Nope.. you obviously don't understand Mike Brown.

You would think so… but kinda makes you wonder. Like Rapelisburg's non-existent touchdown in SB XL.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  10. lawyerdad

Just so I can follow, does the phrase "non-football call" mean anything in this discussion other than "call I don't like"?

I think you have a decent point about the Bernard hit being a crown hit. Do those get called regularly? My sense (I watched very few games this year, and a below average number last season as well) is the vast majority of the "ugly hit" penalties get flagged either as a roughing the passer or a hit on a defenseless receiver - I haven't seen many open field crown strike calls. During the Steelers/Bengals game the announcers focused on whether it Bernard should be considered a defenseless receiver in that situation. Not that this is an excuse for blowing a call, but maybe the refs to a certain extent had the same focus -- focusing on Bernard, whether he makes the reception or is interfered with, and whether the controlled the ball and became a runner before being hit, to the exclusion of focusing on Shazier's angle of approach.

Oh, and sorry L'Inc:
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-relocation-20160112-story.html

11. Kid Nickels

No not at all. The "non-football call" NorCal was referring to was the additional penalty (after Burfict's hit) on Adam Jones which was just smack talking back to Joey Porter who had been talking shit and instigating those two the entire game… trying to get exactly this type of reaction… which of course the refs were aware of. So it had nothing to do with the actual game … therefore the "non-football" label.

The whole defenseless receiver talk is just obfuscation. Supposedly any hit leading with the crown is illegal and is subject to review for penalty/ejection/suspension etc. It should have been flagged period. Of course that didn't stop the refs from ignoring OBJ's complete 180 hook and ladder route a few weeks back that so clearly went out of the way to try to injure Josh Norman and only got one game… after the game, from which he should have been ejected multiple times, was over. What a fucking joke.

12. lawyerdad

Yeah, I more or less understood NorCal to be using "non-football" in that way, which is reasonable but debatable since we're at least talking about something that happened on the field during the game. I was more pimping you for extending it to the SB touchdown . .

And I read the crown hit rule the same way you do; it doesn't require that the guy getting hit be "defenseless". But I don't know if the defenseless receiver talk is obfuscation -- if we're talking about the talking head comments during the Steelers/Bengals game, I assume it was just ignorance/confusion. They're two separate rules, to my understanding. There's a separate rule protecting defenseless receivers/player - that's a thing. It prohibits, among other things, a blow to the receiver's head even if it's not helmet to helmet. There's obviously overlap (which may help explain, albeit not excuse, announcers being confused - seems especially lame that the former ref who is there only to comment on the rules and officiating shared in the confusion) between that and a crown hit. The circles on the Venn diagram overlap but are not perfectly aligned.

And Joey Porter is definitely a clown; always has been. But Pacman didn't "just" return the smack talk. He physically pushed him, which in pretty much any sport is the dumbass, highly likely to get you penalized, you-have-been-trolled response to smack talk.

1 person likes this.
  13. cross22

cross22 Well-Known Member

It is reported that Steelers gave Porter a game ball after victory. :D

1 person likes this.
  14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

What sucks is that if a guy gets concussed or injuries, the refs will flag it, even if it's just bad luck and a legal hit, but if a guy gets helmet to helmet and nothing happens, most times it's okay. It's a results-based call, which is stupid

1 person likes this.
  15. lawyerdad

16. jcman311

Burfict suspended 3 games

17. Texasmade

Yep, these are 2 separate rules. Defenseless receiver is basically no contact to the neck or higher while a receiver is defenseless so when people are trying to say Burfict led with his shoulder that doesn't matter. The Shazier hit is covered under a different rule where neither the offensive player or defensive player is supposed to lower their head and lead with the helmet. (relatively new rule implemented beginning in the 2013 season. You don't see this one called as much especially on the offensive side when a RB lowers their head and shoulder. This should technically be called on most short yardage situations since the ball carrier always lowers their head and shoulders to plow ahead.

18. jcman311

Changing gears a little did anyone else hear the Paul Allen Vikings call? Another classic. "Nooooo! You cant end the season like that!"

I rate it a tick under the Favre interception in the 2010 nfc championship.

19. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Almost peed in my pants wit this one:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. Kid Nickels

LD and Veni … agreed. LOL I threw that SB touchdown in there because in the back of my mind I can't ever quite completely quiet the conspiracy theories.

As for Burfict's 3 games, I'll go back to the OBJ game. No way in hell anything Burfict did all year was as bad as OBJ in that one game… period.