1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

How do you figure it would be a shootout against the Card's defense?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

I am much more okay with a guy with 4 neck surgeries trying to recover taking HGH, than some 295lb defensive tackle who just wants to get stronger

1 person likes this.
  3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Also considering du was like 53 when he allegedly took the HGH...

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Just keep sniffing that Kirk Cousins glue.

5. venividivicibj

Edit. Don't want to crush your dreams

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Just another hater. I'll add you to the list.

1 person likes this.
  7. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Don't worry. As soon as Green Bay is eliminated, Steve should revert back to "Go, Spurs, Go!"

8. venividivicibj

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

I look forward to a decade of sustained mediocrity from the Giants in wake of this news.

10. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for Jerry Reese to get fired now.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I really get this. Either you think using banned substances is something to give a fuck, or you don't. But it strikes me as odd to say (if that's actually what you're saying, if not my bad for being a shitty interpreter) whether or not we give a fuck depends on why you were using the substance if it's flat-out banned for all purposes.

Oh, and Dexter being Dexter.

12. venividivicibj

I think it does matter (what purpose it was used for)

Also- slippery slope obviously, but if HGH isn't okay, why are certain medications/pain killers okay? They are 'performance enhancers' as well - you wouldn't be able to play with the pain - until you took the Toradol shot- now you're good to go

1 person likes this.
  13. lawyerdad

All fair points. It's probably an occupational hazard -- or maybe evidence of self-selection in choosing my occupation -- that I'm often more comfortable with a "the rules are the rules" approach than some other people. It's almost always the case that when you have to fashion rules of general application there will be individual cases that you might handle differently if they'd arisen in a vacuum. But often (albeit not always) the value of having a bright-line rule outweighs the cost of having the occasional individual outcome that seems a bit weird or even unfair in isolation. Particularly when the rules are clear and the (alleged) violator made a conscious decision to break the rule, I generally don't have that much sympathy even if the rule is arguably stupid.

I have no good argument for why Toradol should be OK for NFL players and HGH should not. I'm sure part of the reason why that's the case is PR-related -- HGH has been associated with the public's eye with steroids as PADs for "cheaters".
    But assuming for the sake of argument that Peyton did take HGH at a time when HGH was clearly off-limits for NFL players, then I give exactly as much or as little of a shit about that as I do about any other player taking a clearly banned substance. Unless they play for my Steelers, in which case fuck you and your illogical, hypertechnical "rules".

14. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Steelers, Eh? I figured you'd root for your local team.

15. lawyerdad

Ha, I see what you did there. Well played.

My mom's family are from Pittsburgh, so I was raised in a tradition of die-hard Steeler fandom dating back to long before they were any good. Add to the fact that when I started watching football we were living in western PA and the great Steelers' teams of the '70's were in their ascendancy.

After we moved to LA I did begin to root for the Rams when they weren't playing the Steelers, but then they were lured away by promises of provel pizza and St Looey chilipasta.

1 person likes this.
  16. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

If Peyton did use... I am pretty sure it was to recover much faster. HGH has so many benefits, but I can see people abusing the shit out of it when combining it with steroids. Peyton isn't being accused of steroids though, and his old lady allegedly got HGH in 2011. Got no problem with Peyton using it, or other players recovering from possibly career ending injuries.

17. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

The league is going to take a public zero-tolerance policy, but I'm sure they'd be happy with players using whatever methods necessary to recovery and prolong their careers. How much money has the league made because Peyton came back and had the seasons that he did? If shooting up ground up alpaca fetus or HGH or whatever helped him recover, who cares?

18. venividivicibj

Honestly though... the guy still cant feel some of the finger tips in his right hand (due to nerve damage) - IDGAF if he took HGH, I would too if I thought it might fix my neck/hand.

Also - will be interesting if his wife actually had a legit reason for having HGH - someone is going to get a fat lawsuit for patient privacy.

19. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Please correct me if I have any of this wrong:

1. At the time he allegedly took HGH, the league wasn't even testing for it yet.
    2. At the time he allegedly took HGH, there was a lockout and there was no CBA in place governing what players can and can't take, which completely negates #1 anyway.
    3. He sat out that entire season recovering from neck surgery, so his on-field performance was not enhanced by his alleged use of HGH (although it might have helped him recover quicker so he could get back on the field sooner).

In light of the above, I don't see how there's any case against Peyton Manning besides Goodell's usual "judge, jury, and executioner" bullcrap.

1 person likes this.
  20. venividivicibj

Oh, and the fact that no one can prove he took it at all.