1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

The only real conversation to be had about this is whether Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are smug douchebags or gigantic smug douchebags.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

And the pats don't even lose any draft picks? I wonder what kind of punishment they are going to get. Because the NFL can't really just say "they cheated, oh well"

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I think the first sentence is largely fair and I suspect the NFL wants to have justification to do something to NE / Brady (after all, you hire a firm to do an internal investigation in most cases to cover your ass and to give you the grounds to do what you already were planning to do).

On your second point, I think the frustration is more of a "it took you four months to tell us what we already pretty much suspected anyway," essentially that something smells fishy (more likely than not something was done) and that it would be tougher to link Brady / Belichick to it.

I did find it interesting that the report basically said that Belichick, Kraft and the rest of the organization had nothing to do with the whole scandal (though I don't see anyone who assumed Belichick was responsible eating their words now). I could have seen the potential for there to be more of a smoking gun text rather than a bunch of things that are suggestive and don't look great in the context of the investigation. I feel like I learned a lot more about air pressure in footballs than I ever wanted to know and got a bit of a refresher course in chemistry (ideal gas law).

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's fair. I've been involved in enough investigations to not be surprised that the report is weak tea, but I understand the reaction.

5. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

dahaha. Suck it, Tom Brady.

6. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

4 games for Tom. One for each Super Bowl win*. 1st round draft pick in 2016 and another mid round pick in 2017 plus $1M fine. Small potatoes for securing Tom's legacy as best QB of his era.

I would gladly have JJ Watt and the Texans suffer the same penalty if that meant the Texans won a Super Bowl even if it comes with an * now for cheating.

7. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

+1.

I don't think the Patriots did enough to vacate wins or forfeit draft picks, but I am all in favor of Tom the douche being publicly tarred and feathered to the greatest extent possible

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  8. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Knowing the NFL, he will probably appeal and the suspension will be reduced to 2 games.

9. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

T*m Brady

[​IMG]

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

11. venividivicibj

Apparently one of the reasons for the harshness was that the patriots didn't make everyone available for interview, and Brady wouldn't provide his phone/text records.

But what a joke, any team would make that trade any day of the week. Super Bowl for first round pick and 4 game suspension? Done.

12. archibaldleach

4 game suspension probably gets appealed and reduced to 2. I'd be shocked if the Patriots don't appeal the loss of draft picks and fine. Not sure how that plays out. Curious if there's a precedent for a case where alleged wrongdoing was thought to be confined to one player and two low level employees and the team received that sort of punishment. Granted, the player in question is Tom Brady but still.

Of course, expecting any sort of consistency from the commissioner is foolish. Even if you agree with the punishment handed out here, I think you'd have to consider it a case where every so often the blind squirrel will find the nut.

13. venividivicibj

Well if they do appeal, Brady might have to release his records/more digging will be done, so it might not be good for them

14. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Maybe his punishment can be reduced to getting punched by Ray Rice in an an elevator...

....too soon?

15. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I'd like to see another Giselle meltdown on camera.

16. archibaldleach

I'd assume the appeal would be based on the body of evidence that already exists (in the Wells Report and other evidence gathered by Paul Weiss that did not make it into the report) and they wouldn't need to resort to further fact finding. The question would be whether the punishment was justified in light of the facts, not whether the facts themselves were true.

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pats will be fine. Maybe they don't win the superbowl next year, but they'll get like 10 to 12 wins make the playoffs and maybe go deep into it per usual.

18. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

Not likely. More like 8-10 wins which will put them on the playoff bubble. Your division is no longer a cupcake providing the red carpet to the playoffs.

19. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

From that gif it looks like he's already sucking it. And has been sucking it all winter

20. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

On a football note, there are zero excuses for the Dolphins this year. No Brady for 4 games, another huge spending FA year, put up or shut up season for Tannehill - there are no excuses.