1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Also re: the GB Seattle game, as a NE fan this makes me feel slightly better about blowing a 15 point halftime lead in the 2006-07 AFC Championship against the Colts which was I think, until Sunday, the largest halftime deficit overcome in a conference championship game.

1 person likes this.
  2. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

I'm sure the idea was to protect the ball....just didn't look like anyone was close to him. Anyway, will go down as one of the biggest collapses ever. I was hoping to have at least one team to root for in the Super Bowl.

3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Burnett, the guy who slid immediately after the interception, spoke about it yesterday when asked and was saying how Peppers was motioning him to get down (replays showed this to be the case). There is not a good angle -- at least that I have seen -- but it looks to me the guy had 5-8 yards max before he'd be tackled by couple linemen. Would it have made a difference? Probably. But I thought there were more grueling missteps in that game than that particular play.

4. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I think it's being criticized more because that kind of move signals that a game is effectively over. Clearly, it was far from over at that point.

5. Neo_Version 7

One play that is legit not being talked about in the aftermath of the onside kick, 2 pt conversion, interception slide, etc. was one of the plays that preceded the fake field goal. It was 3rd and 20 and GB rushed 2 while having one spy Russell Wilson. Instead of making WIlson scramble, he completed that deep pass to Baldwin that set up Seattle's first points of the game.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  6. archibaldleach

^ True. I believe I said aloud "Who the f-ck rushes 2 on 3rd and 19" about a second after the snap on that one. Especially against a team that is not known for elite QB play or elite receivers. Rush 4 and drop 7 if you don't blitz.

7. Neo_Version 7

Credit to Baldwin for that catch but Wilson never should have had the opportunity to throw so cleanly. :facepalm:

Seattle's "okay" receivers give me hope though because no one on that team is as good as TY Hilton which the Pats managed to shut down. We still have a lot of time to discuss match-ups so I don't want to jinx anything. When Wilson turns on that zone read though, it looks near unstoppable.

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

GB has always had trouble with this play.Who can forget SF running all over GB with Clay Matthews getting completely turned around. I expect Belichick to have a better game plan stopping this play than Dom Capers.

9. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Espn is reporting that 11 of 12 Patriot game balls were found to be underinflated by 2PSI. I'm guessing a really heavy fine (over $1M combined for the Patriots and Belichick) and loss of a 1st round draft pick if not more if it's determined that the Patriots doctored the game balls.

10. Neo_Version 7

It's a witch hunt, I tell ya. LawrenceMD, Archie, where you at?

11. archibaldleach

Meh. Just more fodder for people who hate the Patriots and prefer to find an explanation for their continued success over the years that goes beyond great players and coaching. I care much more about the game that's happening a week from Sunday.

1 person likes this.
  12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed. I wish the patriots wouldn't resort to such tactics. so I guess what I really have to say is this:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Neo_Version 7

14. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

:eh:

15. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

At least from my point of view, I don't look at the Patriots as "cheaters" or a dirty team. They are habitual line steppers, but this stuff seems like it really has a negligible effect on the outcome of games.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I get what you guys are saying, but I think a lot of times defensive players in that situation have been coached "err on the side of getting down, protecting the ball, and letting the offense do its thing". How many times has a player -- especially a player whose primary job is not be a ballcarrier -- given up a turnover precisely because they thought or assumed nobody was close to them, and then got stripped or blindsided by someone they failed to see?

What's distinguishes a "line stepper" from a "cheater" in this instance? (Assuming they deliberately doctored the balls with bad intent, etc.)

There are certainly varying degrees of egregiousness, and I'm not suggesting that this on the heavy side of the scale. But habitually violating the rules (again, assuming for the sake of discussion that's an accurate statement) in surreptitious ways in the hopes that you won't get caught, or in the calculus that even if you do get caught occasionally the punishment is worth the risk, seems to fit the definition of "cheater" pretty well. Didn't we all play schoolyard ball with kids like that? Constantly cheating in small ways because they knew that sometimes they'd get away with it, other times the rest of us just wouldn't consider it worth arguing about, and that the chances they'd be totally excluded from playing were virtually nil? And they were right. We'd still invite them to play if we needed an extra guy. But they were still douches, and still cheaters.

17. archibaldleach

Sounds like the principal Seattle's secondary was built on. I don't in any way fault them for it, though.

18. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

You're totally right, I guess I feel that the difference between line-stepping and substantive cheating is that people look dumb when they try to greatly discount the achievement of the Pats for line stepping, whereas substantive cheating (for example, pay for play in the NCAA) should diminish the perception of achievement. If you want to levy huge fines for line-stepping I'm cool with that, it just seems disingenuous that people are using petty offences to claim that the Pats aren't really that good.

1 person likes this.
  19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I think we mostly agree. I hate BB, TB, and the Pats, but to suggest that they aren't great at what they do would be silly. That's one reason (I think you were saying the same thing in slightly different words) it all seems so ridiculous - they don't "need" to cheat to be great (except to the extent it's an inextricable part of their competitive drive).

20. Neo_Version 7

[​IMG]

I'm really hoping karma doesn't bite us....again