1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

sure it does. I bet you $100,000 that the tuck rule would've been called a fumble in Oakland.

See! :smarmy: :teach:

2. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

A good old fashioned lawyer vs doctor fight!

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

:cheers:

1 person likes this.
  4. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

The Megatron play a few years back that introduced everyone to this rule occurred in the end zone. In fact, it looked almost exactly like the Dez play.

Here's that play: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a77070/Controversial-call-on-Megatron-non-TD

Two feet, a knee and an elbow down, also a slight lunge on the end.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

also super confusing was the 2012 AFC Championship Pats Ravens game where the ravens receiver caught a pass in the end zone looked like he had it and took two steps and was swatted out and it was called an incomplete pass. watching it in real time it looked like an incomplete pass but the slow mo replays made it look like a totally legit catch/completion/TD.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  6. cross22

cross22 Well-Known Member

Wow John Fox is out at Denver...

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. I watched that several times and each time it appears to me that the ball is swatted away right as (or perhaps a millisecond before) his second foot is coming down. You need to clearly get two feet down before losing control of the ball for it to be considered a catch, so I'm not seeing the controversy.

8. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I guess someone has to take the fall for the one-and-done. Elway's not going to fire himself, and Peyton....well :laugh:

9. lawyerdad

Huh, I don't get why that would seem odd to anyone. You've broken the plane of the end zone -- touchdown, play is over.
    I mean, lots of stuff is different in the end zone. For example, tackling a guy after he has entered the end zone is generally less effective.

10. lawyerdad

11. archibaldleach

Wonder if Peyton is done too (just not officially announced) and they're getting ready to retool / rebuild. I guess two 1 and done divisional round losses and an embarrassing blowout in the Super Bowl in 3 years isn't great considering they brought in Peyton to win a championship, but do they really think a different coach is the missing element / will dramatically change things next year?

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Don't they have like seven free agents this year and well over the cap??

13. archibaldleach

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

You're right, that makes it even more weird. If he caught the ball at the 1 and fall across the goal line, TD. But catch it in the endzone and it has to be firmly grasped apparently until you walk to the sidelines.

I understand it, but it's still weird.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  15. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

16. cross22

cross22 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think Denver went all out trying to win a SB with Manning and it didn't work. Now they will have to start from scratch again.

17. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

^ Pretty much. There have also been rumours floating around as far back as last summer where certain players were taking under-the-table, "handshake" deals that would help benefit the cap situation.

18. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Elway still looks like Mr. Ed...

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

His daughter looks just like him too.

20. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure your goal line scenario is correct. Everything I've read makes it clear that absent that "football move" (which is entirely subjective), the receiver has to control the ball coming to the ground regardless of where it occurs. I've seen plenty of occurrences where a player loses control of the ball when reaching for the pylon and is awarded a TD, but that act of reaching is a football move hence he has complete control of the ball.

This is one of those ticky-tacky rules that works a majority of the time but is going to look really bad every once in awhile.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.