• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nexus One

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
October is what I recall being thrown around.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
After surfing a bit, I'm tempted to go to this phone!

The HTC Supersonic supposedly due to be released by Sprint soon.

Talk about having it all.

It's basically an HTC HD2, but with an Android OS instead of Windows Mobile 6.5 ( and Android 3.0 at that, versus the N1's Android 2.1 ). And in addition it will run on Sprints new 4G network. I'm not to familiar with Sprint but I know they have an attractive "totally unlimited " plan, and if the phone is priced well with a contract it would be very tempting.

Anybody know anything about this HTC Supersonic? Or as Sprint as a carrier.

For me, it seems to make ultimate sense. I get the HTC 4.3" screen with an even newer Android OS ( than the Nexus1 with T-mobile ) and it's on a 4G system. Sprint's all inclusive rate plans are supposed to be good too.

Anybody know anything about this HTC Supersonic or as Sprint as a carrier?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
4G is something that you will want to wait a few years on for them to work the bugs out. Unless you are dead set on helping them beta test.
smile.gif

3G wasn't really stable or reliable from the get go either. It's just like any other massive hardware/software upgrade. Wait for service pack/revision 2.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
4G is something that you will want to wait a few years on for them to work the bugs out. Unless you are dead set on helping them beta test.
smile.gif

3G wasn't really stable or reliable from the get go either. It's just like any other massive hardware/software upgrade. Wait for service pack/revision 2.

So are you saying that for the beginning of the "4G era", it might be better to stick with 3G.

Would hardware have the ability to switch between 3G and 4G the way we can now do it with 3G and Edge.

Finally, there are websites that say you can easily switch a Windows Mobile HTC HD2 to an Android OS. Here is a link about it. I am not a techie and don't know much about roots and ROM. Does this switch seem feasible. Or would it be buggy at best.

And is the switch something that I could oay a techie to do easily? Like say someone in Craigslist that advertises themselves as cell phone wizzes, unlocking, rooting, and changing cell phones.

PS: And does anyone have any opinions or knowledge of the forthcoming HTC Supersonic and of Sprint as a Cellular carrier?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
So are you saying that for the beginning of the "4G era", it might be better to stick with 3G.

I'm saying that real, blanket coverage 4G with the stability and reliability currently available from 3G networks is a way off.

Would hardware have the ability to switch between 3G and 4G the way we can now do it with 3G and Edge.
Yes. But if you are using a phone that is on a 4G network 20% (or less) of the time and a 3G network 60% (or more) of the time, is it worth getting excited over? Especially considering that when you ARE connected to a 4G network, your download speeds will likely not be noticeably faster for most legacy phones, because they just can't handle the bandwidth.

Verizon today expanded on some of the actual results for its expected 4G network. After testing in the Boston and Seattle areas, the provider estimates that a real connection on a populated network should average between 5Mbps to 12Mbps in download rates and between 2Mbps to 5Mbps for uploads. Actual, achievable peak speeds in these areas float between 40-50Mbps downstream and 20-25Mbps upstream.
These numbers, while still marginally better than what is currently available, are not the 100Mbps that everyone is getting excited about. And these are based on Verizon's stupid benchmark estimates that only 15 percent of it's customers are using smartphones. I have a feeling that they are going to be caught flat footed when it comes time to unleash this thing and within the span of a week, 20 million people are clogging it.

I guess we'll see.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pahreen

Reaction score
HTC "Supersonic" (official name is "EVO 4G") for Sprint was unveiled today and as speculated, it seems to trumps the Nexus One in pretty much every area besides aesthetics (and that's subjective anyway).

Dashing1

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about this HTC Supersonic or as Sprint as a carrier?

I've had Sprint for years and have found the service and plans to be good.

The "Supersonic" is now the "Evo" and looks fairly amazing. Got an email from Sprint yesterday stating that it will be available this summer. It has a screen nearly 25% bigger (and with substantially more detail) than iPhone. The dimensions are fairly similar ('tho the Evo weighs 6oz vs. 4.8oz for the iPhone). The display looks amazing, and I'm sure the Evo will be an incredible multimedia phone (it has a really fast processor).

However, I just don't like phones without physical keyboards, so it looks like I'll be waiting (perhaps, forever) for my ideal phone.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Supersonic lives up to the hype, I might give in and switch from my SERO plan.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anyone know if the custom engraving costs extra? It didn't say anything about it costing extra, and I went all the way through until checkout so I am assuming that it's gratis.

I'm considering getting "Effyou Apple" on the back.

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'm considering getting "Effyou Apple" on the back.

Did you ask Steve Jobs to use vaseline?!!? Cuz he's not gonna use it if you dont ask for it. He's not a ******* mind reader.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by r...
Did you ask Steve Jobs to use vaseline?!!? Cuz he's not gonna use it if you dont ask for it. He's not a ******* mind reader.

Steve Jobs doesn't have a dick, he's a robot.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think I'm about two weeks away from pulling the trigger on a Nexus One.
Not thrilled about the lack of a keyboard. Really not thrilled. BUT there isn't anything on the horizon that tells me that I'll be getting anything decent with a good keyboard anyways. Everything is either going to come with a crap keyboard (Droid) or no keyboard (everything else). Sadly I think this is what it's come to.

I will miss the excellent keyboard on my Moto Q. To this day, still the best I've used on a mobile phone.

I am looking at T-Mobile's rate pricing. It's ridiculously cheap. As satisfied with AT&T as I am, I would save $50 a month switching to T-Mob, plus the phone would be cheaper.

EDIT: Nevermind, the plan is the same price. The phone is still cheaper though.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Did you ever get a chance to use one in person?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
^ Did you ever get a chance to use one in person?
For like two minutes. If I absolutely hate the no-keyboard, I have 14 days to return it, with a restocking fee, or I can try to sell it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads