1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Newly moved to the South Bay and need advice on services

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by stupendous, Feb 12, 2017.

1. stupendous

stupendous Well-Known Member

Singapore by way of Manila, Hong Kong and Californ
    Hi all,

Just transplanted to the South Bay (Redondo Beach) from overseas, and need advice on which service providers to go to for:
    -cobbler/shoe shine
    -dry cleaners
    -alterations/tailors
    -barber

I've done a bit of research on the web but, despite some 5 star ratings, I'd like to ask the community for help. I suppose anything within a reasonable drive (which I understand is totally subjective) would do.

Thanks in advance.

2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Andy's Forum probably is more knowledgeable on local resources in that particular area.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  3. stupendous

stupendous Well-Known Member

Singapore by way of Manila, Hong Kong and Californ
    Thanks. Appreciate that.

4. bmulford

bmulford Well-Known Member

@stupendous having lived in the S.Bay before for a number of years here's what I can impart:

-cobbler/shoe shine
    A) None that I found in LA. Load up on Saphir from the hanger project and DIY.

-dry cleaners
    A) Door to Door in the Riviera (by the trader joes & yogurt land) Doortodoorcleaners.com - they do a decent job, but do charge "extra" for high-end brands. E.g., 15-20% more if you bring in Borrelli, Tom Ford, Isaia, etc.

-alterations/tailors
    A) Enzo Caruso in Santa Monica on Ocean Park. He's as good as it gets. Kim's alterations in Palos Verdes on Silver Spur (near the mall area) is great for basics. Avoid Mattuccis unless you like subpar rushed work and inevitable damages to your garments.

-barber
    A) Lots of places for a basic cut. If you want high-end styling, drive to the westside / bev hills where there are dozens of award winning places.