1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New York trip - How to Spend It?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ville_e, Oct 15, 2010.

1. springer23

springer23 Active Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far! I'm looking for a nice breakfast place in the theatre district. Any suggestions? Thanks once again!

If you don't mind taking the sub for about 20 minutes from the theatre district you can grab some biscuits and gravy at Good Enough to Eat on Amsterdam Ave or Barney Greengrass down the way. Long lineups though. Get the Potato Latkes with applesauce from Barney's if they have them that day.

Apologies for the price confusion about Nougatine, it was awhile ago that I ate there and couldn't remember the bill exactly.

2. NachoBroadway

NachoBroadway Well-Known Member

My ideal Sunday in the city is;

The Met
    Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center), avoid Empire State Building
    Central Park
    Grand Central Terminal for majestic photos

3. JesseJB

JesseJB Well-Known Member

Would anyone consider Five Pointz a must-see during a four day trip?

4. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Would anyone consider Five Pointz a must-see during a four day trip?

What's "Five Pointz"? The restaurant? [​IMG]

5. JesseJB

JesseJB Well-Known Member

6. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought too, on the main website, I clicked on the link to the restaurant says 28.

Perhaps I made a mistake.

Is the Nougatine promotion still on? I can't find it on the website?

lefty

7. photoguy

photoguy Well-Known Member

The grafitti mecca! http://queens.about.com/od/longislan...-City.-2jc.htm
    It is very impressive. If you go, you will be right by PS1, a contemporary art museum affiliated with MOMA, that is also worth checking out. Edit to note just FYI that there were a couple of times I walked through Five Pointz a little overdressed and felt like I got some suspicious looks (like "what is that middle age white dude in a suit doing here?"). This probably doesn't apply to you, just saying in case.

8. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

These are pretty cool tours, even for locals.

9. ville_e

ville_e Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for the great recommendations. I visited most of the places that were mentioned here.

I am planning a new trip soon to NYC. I would really appreciate hearing some updated store, restaurant, sights, museums, sporting event etc. recommendations. Thanks!!

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

These are pretty cool tours, even for locals.

There are so many hidden gems in Brooklyn. I'm very good friends with one of the tour directors at Greenwood Cemetery, what a beautiful place, and they do so many cool things during the year as well.

http://www.green-wood.com/

11. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

There are so many hidden gems in Brooklyn. I'm very good friends with one of the tour directors at Greenwood Cemetery, what a beautiful place, and they do so many cool things during the year as well.

http://www.green-wood.com/

+1.
    Have some dinner at Sam's restaurant on Court Street in Bklyn. Then walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge to the city!

12. ville_e

ville_e Well-Known Member

Thanks so much!! Will be sure to do that! Any further restaurant or store recommendations? Would love to hear them! [​IMG]

13. antikantian

antikantian Well-Known Member

Not to sound cliche but i think there is a NY for everybody Regular hotel or four seasons? Chicken and rice or Per Se? Uniqlo or Bergdorf? Rear mezzanine or Front orchestra? On a side note, the $20 entrance fee at the Met is recommened. If you are shameless like me you can get in for a dollar. Also, for the OP, check out a jazz club like birdland or bluenote. My new favorite is Jazz at lincoln center. Woody allen and his band plays at the carlyle hotel on monday nights, the cover is a little more expensive tho.
    Agree 100%. I grew up in NYC, and there is so much variety. I've had really memorable meals in Chinatown for practically nothing, which are sometimes better than the $2k+ excursions to Alain Ducasse, Per Se, Daniel, etc. I've seen Wagner from the front orchestra in the Met, but some of the nosebleeds in Carnegie offer really great sound + views. I always walked through the park past the Met to get home from school... +1 for not paying $20 :p As for recommendations, my favorite restaurant in Manhattan is Aureole.

14. Pei Hide

Pei Hide Active Member

Do you have any recommendation for an hotel that is not too expensive in the city?

15. glowell222

glowell222 Well-Known Member

Park Central. www.parkcentralny.com 3 blocks from Central Park. 5 blocks from Times Square. One block from the NQR trains. Right next to Carnegie Hall and Broadway. Check out Broadway Diner around the block (each portion is enough food for about 3 people, so be careful). Ray's Pizza across the street and down one block, and Redeye Grill right next door.

16. Macs

Macs Well-Known Member

Hi everybody, instead of opening a new thread I'll try to hijack this one...
    Any recommendation for a nice limo service from JFK to Manhattan and return?