1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New York Restaurants for Solo Traveller

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by FidelCashflow, May 8, 2011.

1. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

I'm planning on visiting NYC end of June for 5 days - staying in Greenwhich village and hitting all the touristy spots throughout Manhattan. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants for breakfast/dinner/lunch - preferably ones that are comfortable enough for someone dining alone?

I love unique concept restaurants. One restaurant I'm already excited about visiting is Mac Bar on Prince Street which offers Lobster Mac N Cheese. From what everyone says, a visit to one of the famous pizza places and deli's is also a must. Any particularly good ones in Manhattan?

Any other such recommendations? I've started looking at urbanspoon - but am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of restaurants.

2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

few things beat a bagel from H&H for breakfast. I only ate breakfast in Manhattan in my youth (the french toast at Triomphe was my favorite).

you can hit up most of the great restaurants solo by just sitting at the bar and ordering a drink and some apps. In fact, this is what I do most of the time anyways, even when I'm not solo.

if you must have lobster, try Luke's for a lobster roll. A bargain compared to most places yet IMO better. And if you must have mac n cheese, hit up Dogmatic where the truffled guyere mac n cheese for $3.25 is one of the best deals I've had.

Other good ones to try, whether it be for lunch or dinner: Aldea, Eleven Madison, anything Daniel Boulud, Locanda Verde, Maialino, 15 East for sushi, Babbo (since you're in GV)

3. bibs

bibs Well-Known Member

+1 or Daniel Boulud and you could probably hit one of the Momofuku's

4. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

Breakfast at Le French Diner, the best french toast in the city, though they open at 12 so not really breakfast..

5. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Toto Ramen.

A must, in my opinion. Pretty much any fine dining restaurant will accommodate a solo diner.

6. Renton

Renton Well-Known Member

I had an dinner at Le Bernadin as a solo diner. It worked out that 5:30 was the only time I could get a reservation when I was last in the city, so I said to hell with it and enjoyed a tasting menu on my own.

7. bibs

bibs Well-Known Member

Toto Ramen.

A must, in my opinion. Pretty much any fine dining restaurant will accommodate a solo diner.

Ippudo Ramen is also a must try if you're into that noodle stuff

8. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Ippudo Ramen is also a must try if you're into that noodle stuff

Toto Ramen is considerably better. Much better.

9. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

I'm planning on visiting NYC end of June for 5 days - staying in Greenwhich village and hitting all the touristy spots throughout Manhattan. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants for breakfast/dinner/lunch - preferably ones that are comfortable enough for someone dining alone? I love unique concept restaurants. One restaurant I'm already excited about visiting is Mac Bar on Prince Street which offers Lobster Mac N Cheese. From what everyone says, a visit to one of the famous pizza places and deli's is also a must. Any particularly good ones in Manhattan? Any other such recommendations? I've started looking at urbanspoon - but am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of restaurants.
    What price point did you have in mind for the meals? Gomestar posted some good recommendations on the higher end side but depends on budget. Also, are you into wine? There are a number of wine bar type spots that would work well for a solo dinner......

10. changy

changy Well-Known Member

I find solo dinners are more comfortable (less awkward) when sitting at a bar. So I'm gonna say.

- Sushi Yasuda
    - Ippudo (Go during lunch, it's less crowded)
    - Robuchon
    - Sakagura
    - Grammercy Tavern
    - Degustation

I find establishments like Katz and russ & daughters to be a rip off, but since you are being a tourist, it probably wont hurt to check it out.

11. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Yasuda for sure
    EMP
    Toto Ramen (again, do this way before you do Ippudo... the people that praise Ippudo haven't been to Japan.)
    L'Atelier

12. bkdasher

bkdasher New Member

+ 1 Ippudo (haven't been to Toto and feel compelled to go tonight)
    + 1 Momofuku
    + 1 Boulud (DBGB could be particularly good if your solo)

And just off the top of my head-

Burgers: Shake Shack, Minetta Tavern, or Corner Bistro (for the nostalgia, the burger has gone downhill)
    Pizza: Motorino, Keste
    Thai: Kin Shop
    BBQ: Dinosaur or RUB
    American: Peels
    Weird but delicious: Shopsin's

I've got Brooklyn suggestions too, if you're interested.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

The Brooklyn Diner in Times Square.

14. SField

SField Well-Known Member

+ 1 Ippudo (haven't been to Toto and feel compelled to go tonight)
    + 1 Momofuku
    + 1 Boulud (DBGB could be particularly good if your solo)

And just off the top of my head-

Burgers: Shake Shack, Minetta Tavern, or Corner Bistro (for the nostalgia, the burger has gone downhill)
    Pizza: Motorino, Keste
    Thai: Kin Shop
    BBQ: Dinosaur or RUB
    American: Peels
    Weird but delicious: Shopsin's

I've got Brooklyn suggestions too, if you're interested.

Tell me about Shopsin's.

And please go to Toto Ramen. Get the pork belly over rice with yuzu mayo, then the chicken ramen (their speciality.) I am a snob of broth and I was very impressed, especially given the price.

Shake Shack is good as is the place at Parker Meridien. I still think Luger's has a good burger... the only thing I don't find disgusting at that place.

15. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

What price point did you have in mind for the meals? Gomestar posted some good recommendations on the higher end side but depends on budget. Also, are you into wine? There are a number of wine bar type spots that would work well for a solo dinner......
    I think $50-60 is the most I would spend on a meal if it was amazing - but I'd probably only spend that much 2 or 3 times in my whole trip and I'd probably each cheap for like $15 at a few other places to try and balance it out. I'm not really into wine at all. I'm really into Moroccan, Indian, south western, and Italian food. Any suggestions on those fronts?

16. bibs

bibs Well-Known Member

thanks for the Toto tip , will definitely give them a visit soon

do they get as crowded as ippudo ?

17. changy

changy Well-Known Member

I think $50-60 is the most I would spend on a meal if it was amazing - but I'd probably only spend that much 2 or 3 times in my whole trip and I'd probably each cheap for like $15 at a few other places to try and balance it out. I'm not really into wine at all.

I'm really into Moroccan, Indian, south western, and Italian food. Any suggestions on those fronts?

Ok, then you can't go to half the places in this thread unless you stay away from drinks. Some other considerations, in descending price

- Lupa
    - Basta Pasta
    - Yakitori Totto
    - Chicken and Rice
    - Caracas Arepa Bar
    - Xi'an Famous Food

New York has terrible indian and south western food; you could go to Bricklane and try the curry, but it's really not that good

If you come after July 5, restaurant week starts, $24 lunch and $35 dinner at pretty nice places, including some Michael White restaurants. However, the quality is compromised at some places.

18. scientific

scientific Well-Known Member

New York has terrible indian food;

wut.

19. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

I think $50-60 is the most I would spend on a meal if it was amazing - but I'd probably only spend that much 2 or 3 times in my whole trip and I'd probably each cheap for like $15 at a few other places to try and balance it out. I'm not really into wine at all.

I'm really into Moroccan, Indian, south western, and Italian food. Any suggestions on those fronts?

Indian
    - agreed there arent great options here, it isnt really a strength of NYC. If I had to go somewhere I would go to either Tiffin Wallah for vegetarian or Saravanas / Chennai Garden. These are all in curry hill, really not worth the trip though

Moroccan
    - another area that NYC isnt great in. Cafe Mogador in the east village is probably the best of the bunch. One suggestion would be to check out Cafe Gitane in the Jane Hotel in the west village. The food isnt as good as Mogador but its in a pretty cool location and the room is a very pleasant place to sit and have a casual lunch

Italian
    - much better options for Italian and lots in your price range
    - Porsena - Sara Jenkins new spot - great pasta and reasonably priced, in the east village
    - Frankies 17
    - Supper
    - if you want to do a meal at the higher end of your budget, Barbuto, Lupa dell anima, Caffe Falai would all work
    - make sure to hit some pizza places like Keste, L'Asso or Co

Other
    - try the pork dishes at Hakata Tonton
    - stop in for a sandwich at No. 7 Sub in the Ace Hotel or Salume in Soho
    - Russ & Daughters on the LES for smoked fish
    - Ceci Cela in Soho for croissants
    - sit at the bar at El Quinto Pino for Spanish tapas in Chelsea

20. RunningMan

RunningMan Member

+1 Frankies Devi indian - on the more expensive front but unique Pizza/Ital Otto - Batali's casual joint - a bit touristy but worth going once For less formal and cheaper eats you might want to check out some of the food trucks. (you can eat outside) http://www.nycfoodtrucks.org/ Co.