1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New York City stores?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrChris, May 1, 2012.

1. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

timing is everything............had your trip been next week, your shopping list would have been much different (and longer!).

Still, sounds like you had a good time :)

2. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

What's next week??

3. MrChris

MrChris Well-Known Member

Sales next week?
    If so my bank account got lucky I chose to visit this past week;) But it was a combines business and leasure trip so I didn't really have an option to choose which week to go.

4. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

yes, many sales will start next week. I know saks and neimans already started, barneys and bergdorf should be following suit.......

5. rohde88

rohde88 Well-Known Member

nice!

6. Radagast

Radagast Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread. I'll be in Manhattan for a couple days later this month. Schedule is fairly tight. Are there any stores in Brooklyn that demand a trip across the bridge?

7. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

Epaulet x 100000

8. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread..........

I will be going to NYC next month and will be looking to purchase sportscoats/blazers and ties. I am especially hoping to find some ties( Ferragamo,Tom Ford & Hermes,etc) at discounted prices. Right now my store list is the following:

Crockett & Jones - to try on shoes before ordering

Century 21 - WIll I find deals on great ties there?

SuitSupply

Any other stores worth checking out?

9. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

I would skip domenico vacca (at least the one nearest Central Park). Poor staff, and clothes didn't look that great compared to other NYC options.

Barney's- be sure to check out sartorio and campagna brands, ground floor currently under construction and looks like shit

Attolini at Madison & 68th, worth a look. Shirts are extremely nice too

NYC trip never complete without a visit to RL mansion!

Oh, and leave OUT century 21. Waste of time and will just piss u off-- take a Woodbury commons bus trip instead

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  10. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I disagree with the C21 assessment; they have great deals on ties.

Brioni and TF ties for 80; Battistoni for $40(!). Ive even seen Zegna Couture ties for $60.

Also, saw an amazing solid navy Corneliani suit in 38R for $600; regret not picking it up.

11. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

I always enjoy Davide Cenci up on Madison (68th? :confused: ).

There is a strange "discount" place down on First Ave. just below 14th called Gabays. It's 2nd generation family-run operation, and as far as I can tell offers remainders from big department stores. They're known primarily for women's shoes & handbags, but they do have some men's clothing. The same stuff can languish for months, but if you hit it right it can be fun. They often have Davide Cenci shirts, suits & sportcoats. The selection is definitely limited, and the vibe very thriftshopy, but prices are good and everything is negotiable. Cash will get you a further discount. You are likely to be disappointed if you make a special trip, but if you're in the neighborhood it pays to check in every 6 months or so....

12. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly sure what he's looking for but since he mentioned SCs, they always have a bunch of half canvassed Hickey Freeman SCs for around $300, sometimes fully canvassed stuff too. Other brands are more hit or miss depending on stock but I've gotten some great deals there! Talbott silk pocket squares for around $12 are usually worth picking up too.

13. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

+1 on David Cenci.

Very friendly staff and great pieces that are harder to find (St. Andrews, Gravati). One of the better stores I've been to.

Also, if you have $20k to burn, stop by the Lanvin boutique on Madison for their 100% vicuna solid navy SC. Even if you don't want to buy it, might be worth the trip to check it out.

14. The_Foxx

I still say f*ck century 21-- better off going to Riflessi on 57th for good deals on Isaia slimmer cut shirts, a handful of borrelli vintage, cucinelli, etc at discount-- if u can handle the overzelous salespeople. Picked up a borrelli vintage for myself at great price, did hand stitched functional buttonholes for me by next morning, too

Great call on Paul Stuart, that is a must-- and so much better/ much more well presented quality goods, etc than Brooks!!

15. chet31

chet31 Well-Known Member

My wife and I love NYC, we go there every other year or so. First, you have to figure out what you want to spend. Madison Avenue is more high-end boutiques, Lanvin, Armani, etc., you're not going to see an SC much under $2K. I much prefer Soho (where Suit Supply is), where you can still spend a lot of money, but the entry price isn't quite as high. Lots of non-SF approved shops, almost any brand name you can think of will have their own store there.

Misc Tips:

If you do Soho, public restrooms are a problem, especially if you have a wife that likes coffee. Bloomingdale's is your friend.

epaulet (a favorite around here) is closed on Sundays.

Seize sur Vingt had some interesting sport coats, it's kind of near Suit Supply, they run about $700. Also J. Lindeberg.

If you want to do the ultracheap thing, and do Uniqlo, H&M, etc., go to their stores on 33rd St. Much quieter and more pleasant to shop than the ones in Soho. There are some other fun shops on 33rd, as well.

I'm in the pro-C21 camp. Good stuff to be found, but it's a zoo and it's hit or miss. They tend not to be in the main shopping areas, there isn't one in Soho. Daffy's is along the same lines.

16. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Daffy's is no more.

17. Mr Engineer

For sportscoats I plan on spending in the $300-$500 range. I plan on visiting the following stores:

Century 21
    Nordstrom Rack
    Dillards
    Suitsupply

Any others stores I should check out?

18. The_Foxx

I would cross off all on your list except suit supply-- and consider adding these which fit well within your budget; really think you'll have better luck and will save you from running all over the place
    *Bloomingdales (sale going on for Lubiam sartorial, LBM 1911, Aqua, etc spring soft shoulder Italian jackets)
    *Massimo Dutti on 5th avenue, soft shouldered stylish jackets as well

19. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

Don't fly all the way to New York to go to Dillards.

20. Mr Engineer

Not flying..NY is only 3 hrs away from me driving