• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York City Restaurants, Things to do?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Visiting NYC with my wife for a week of fun. Haven't been to NYC in ages where we have entirely our own schedule so I'm looking forward to it. Staying in mid-town and will be making our way downtown, mid-town, UES so looking for suggestions.

Any recommendations for favorite restaurants in the Village, or near the Meatpacking Dist?

Any suggestions for new home decor / lifestyle type stores besides ABC Home?

Of course, NMWA, The Armoury, Paul Stuart, Bergdorf and Dover St Markets are on my #menswear list.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I went on a food extravaganza a few weeks ago:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/312703/reasons-why-new-york-sucks/11775#post_8785700

Decoy/Red Farm are in the Village and really awesome. Same with Sushi Nakazawa and whatever Jonathan Waxman's place is.

ABC Home, while expensive and overdone, is certainly a destination. Then walk south, pretend to enjoy Union Square, then hit up Num Pang for banh mi sandwiches.

For other home stores, browsing SoHo could work, though note it's going to be stores for individual brands (Cassina, Cappellini, etc)

If you want to "go crazy" take the L to Morgan and eat at Roberta's.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
http://www.grubstreet.com/bestofnewyork/best-lobster-roll-nyc.html

linking that not because you asked about lobster rolls but because I've been thinking about them and one of the places listed is right across from the wife's place of work so it has been on my mind ... anyways, note to the right you can stroll throughout the "absolute best" list, and while there's always room for debate, the selections tend to be very good.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@gomestar thanks for all of the good suggestions.

Yes, we will stop at ABC. I'm having a hard time finding other interesting home decor stores. Will avoid the branded home decor shops. Really looking for new and interesting presentation of Home Dec.

One other thing I want to do is catch some live music, maybe jazz or singer. I'm going to check out Kitano, Small's, The Jazz Standard and Dizzy's.

What's going on in NOLITA, Tri Becca as far as interesting retail, home, lifestyle stores? Or is it all fashion and bar/restaurant?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Yes, we will stop at ABC. I'm having a hard time finding other interesting home decor stores. Will avoid the branded home decor shops. Really looking for new and interesting presentation of Home Dec.

Checking with the wife, who knows most of these places, and she's an architect so she has to know these places, but most of the stuff she's done is custom. Gracious Home, Beam BK, Fishs Eddy, RePop, Muji, Jung Lee, Canvas, Alessi, Goods For The Study, and Brooklyn Reclamation came up as maybe worth checking out.

Tri Becca as far as interesting retail, home, lifestyle stores? Or is it all fashion and bar/restaurant?

ha, Tri Becca sounds like a prostitute's name. TriBeCa is a bit more fitting (short for Triangle Below Canal Street). I worked in that neighborhood for many years, and it's pretty weird. It's all rich white families. Not much for the retail/home/lifestyle worth considering beyond way overpaying at Shinola Detroit. Locanda Verde is great for food, though.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Korin in Tribeca is actually a should-visit. They're known for their big collection of knives, which is always 50/50 when you're traveling, but also a large collection of Japanese house wares and table wares. Then get cookies at Cafe Clementine because they are delicious. Keep walking North and you'll hit a few choice restaurants: The Dutch (same owner as Locanda Verde - I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two) or eat at Charlie Bird, which has a superb wine list and great menu. Best scallop dish in the city, IMO.

And it's pricey and touristy and a little out of the way - but the pastrami at Katz is that good. Amp it up a bit and do a pastrami and chicken liver sandwich and it's ... damn. I also recently ate at Frankel's and Pastrami Queen, and they're great, but just not quite on the same level as Katz. Also around the corner is The Pickle Guys, which is bomb if you're into pickles (of course inconvenient if you're a tourist, but they do ship).

G

Griffindork

What's going on in NOLITA, Tri Becca as far as interesting retail, home, lifestyle stores? Or is it all fashion and bar/restaurant?

If you are into furniture then the place in Tribeca that you don't want to miss is R and Company. They have amazing stuff. A few months ago it was mostly Haas brothers but I think that's ended. Anyway, there is always something cool to look at. Stillfried Wein is also cool and Room is a little less pricey but a little less unique. Two of the great restaurants in the city are in Tribeca - ichimura for sushi (although I'd rather eat at shuko on a dollar for dollar basis) and Atera - but both are pricey. The Westfield mall is unfortunate - skip it all together. The World Trade Center memorial is breathtaking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads